(Topic ID: 341499)

AFM and MM Question

By Molon_Labe

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Molon_Labe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 months ago

After reading all of the rave reviews, I sought out to play the big 3 MM, AFM, and MB. I was able to locate an AFM and MM in my area, so I went and played the MM today. Huge disappointment based on my expectations. The ball didn't have a lot of speed heading up the playfield and to the ramps. The layout was great, but it just felt slow and lazy. I was about to throw in the towel on the notion of getting a WPC and sticking with Stern, but I went to another location that had an AFM, but it was a CGC remake.

Wow, now THAT was pinball. So much fun - I can see why that game is so highly rated. The flippers had the ball blazing the ramps and it was a lot snappier overall vs that MM which was a complete slog and snooze fest. Not the theme or layout, just the way this one was playing vs the AFM remake.

From my reading, the CGC and B/W are supposed to be similar. However, the feel of these two was anything but. I want to buy an AFM, but I really want an original, so that I am not boxed into proprietary CGC SMT boards. Unfortunately, there aren't any original AFM in my area to play. After playing that MM, I worry that an original AFM may have that same slog feel. Maybe the MM was just in bad shape because that place has a number of pins, and a lot of the older units just didn't play well. I am hoping this was just route blues with poor setup and inadequate maintenance.

Does an original AFM have the same feel as the original regarding ball speed and flippers? Should that MM have had the same feel as the AFM remake? The MM shook my confidence a bit. I wasn't playing pinball in the 90's, so I don't have a point of reference of how a properly setup WPC B/W should feel.

More than likely, the AFM will be a blind, out of state purchase. I don't mind installing new flipper mechs etc as needed. I just want to make sure that a cleaned and freshened-up original AFM will have the same snappy feeling as that remake I played.

#4 10 months ago

Dang man - 3 times? Indecisive much I kid...I kid....

Thanks fellas, that was my original suspicion that this MM was just in dire need of some love, but I wanted to make sure. Based on how that one played, it definitely wasn't representing the glowing reviews I had read. One thing is for sure, I fully understand the "Stern is the IKEA" of pinball now. I absolutely love my IM, but the AFM and MM are tanks.

As far as CGC goes, I got burned with them on an older Arcade Legends machine that I had to convert to JAMMA and MAME due to proprietary, unobtanium parts. I won't derail or start a debate, but original it is for me based on previous experiences with CGC. All I can say is that people may want to stock up on spares because they will drop inventory on non-production products.

Sooooo......anyone in Texas got an AFM for sale I wish I could have found a MB to play. That theme is by far my favorite of the three.

#7 10 months ago
    Quoted from Zambonilli:

There's a whole thread on CGC vs remake flippers that has a lot of insight.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/it-s-time-to-talk-about-cgc-remake-flippers-

Thanks for the link. I will give that a read.

nicoy3k - I am not insinuating the Stern is junk but the WPC feels heavier with more mass but obviously I couldn't lift the playfield and look at the cabinet construction. You may very well be right, but they don't feel similar at all. I am not trying to pit one against the other. I like them both.

#17 9 months ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Did you give in to stern and get FF and GDZ? Welcome to the Dark Side! Lol. Kidding on that but congrats! FF will have a nice update soon.
    I mentioned before the market isn’t the biggest indicator of “value” on what you own. It’s how much you use/enjoy what you own. These folks selling under hundred play games for lower than they paid missed on on “value”. Don’t be them would be my advice. Play the crap out of FF and GDZ. And you have IMVE also? Love that game. IM along with FF will make you one heck of a player if you keep at them.
    Good choices. Good 3 game set. Enjoy!

I am dark side now. Yes, the GZ and FF will be paired with my Iron Man VE. I also have a Rocky and Bullwinkle that is at my parents house. I put it there temporarily while I was finishing a room out and now I don't have the heart to take it from them. They really enjoy it...lol. I do plan to play the crap out of all of them. I am used to getting next to zero return from hobbies so getting anything back if/when I sell is a plus.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Molon_Labe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-and-mm-question?tu=Molon_Labe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.