(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,238 posts
  • 221 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by rx3
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240511_172442.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Many young people got lazy during Covid and do not want to work.

That is a broad oversimplification and not quite the full story. Most people aren't "lazy"--a lot of them are quite willing to hustle, but don't want to be subjected to certain unpalatable working conditions, work for the low pay, and/or be underemployed (especially if they have a degree). The cost of living is getting pretty high these days, and it's really tough to survive just on minimum wage. The landscape has changed a bit in the last decade or two.

Quoted from mbeardsley:

Even stranger, is that some retail places are prompting for tips too. The game store that my son worked at had a register system that would prompt for a 15%, 20%, or 25% tip - and the store owner had no way to disable the prompt (even though he wanted to).

I tip at sit-down restaurants that have wait staff, and tip bartenders and barbers. There's probably a few other random situations where tipping has been traditionally expected/accepted, but I can't say I recall encountering anything else in a good while.

[edit]: Oh, forgot about delivery--but that's a service I never use.

[Edit 2]: And furnature movers if they don't damage anything

Everywhere else that suddenly started prompting for tips for every transaction (retail, take-out, and counter service), no.

#333 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

The posts have been quite fascinating to read. Honestly, one could quite possibly write an academic paper on this subject and its uniqueness to US society. I am not an academic, but I feel the current climate of tipping-fever needs a long hard look.

It probably goes a little something like this:

Hey this thing we're doing helps and rewards other people....let's keep doing a little more of it.

Sprinkle in a little greed and selfishness, leading to...hey, those people over there are benefiting from this thing, why can't I too?

Then that leads to a lot more of that thing, resulting in someone later saying: ok guys, it's getting a little weird now. The thing is everywhere now, and it's starting to cause some harm.

And then leads to...ok, we should probably dial back on the thing now and maybe move onto something else that's actually more beneficial and rewarding.

And the cycle repeats. Or something like that.

With tipping, we're probably at the "it's getting a little weird now" stage.

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I love it personally. I put everything in the cart with the UPC visible and then hit everything with the gun in about 30 seconds. There are absolutely some people that shouldn't be using it, since they can't follow simple instructions. Stores need to actually check that you actually scanned everything in your cart. They don't and that's causing plenty of shrink.

You can't do that with the self-checkout machines in grocery stores & walmart in my area. The bagging area is weight sensitive, and if you don't put the items on it after 2-3 items, it halts scanning additional items until you set them there. Big box hardware stores here don't seem to have that feature on their self-checkout machines, though.

#409 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

We all have a choice on how we conduct ourselves .
    Today was the perfect example .
    My wife went to the supermarket and came back to find a note on the windscreen saying that her car had been hit .
    Turned out , it was some white paint on her black car passenger door .
    The door wasn't dinged and it's an old car with a few bumps and scratches , so it was no big deal .
    I said to my wife we could be assholes and ask for a couple hundred dollars , but ring them and say that it's all cool .
    My wife only wanted to send a text and I said , no , ring them .
    My wife rang the person and the lady was so apologetic and happy we weren't going to pursue anything .
    She explained how it was a really windy and she opened the door and it caught the wind and banged into our car and she also had her other side dinged by someone but they didn't leave their number .
    We can all sleep easy tonight , knowing we all did the right thing , nice to know the world is not full of arseholes

I always park far away from the entrance to avoid stuff like that. I don't need to fight for a spot close to the door, or subject my vehicle to all the hustle & bustle and tightly packed parking spots. That's how car door dings happen.

#466 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Maybe. Has anyone noticed that YouTube does this for the “Skip Ad” button? Not a wear problem as it’s my iPad, phone, etc. Have to hammer that button 5 or 6 times before it recognizes it. Just saying….possible it’s an intentional software “feature”.

Some ads you can't actually skip until the initial timer (displayed in small text) runs out.

#467 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Regarding the touchscreen issue. I was at the Missouri Conservation Department firing range near me. You have to check in using a touchscreen kiosk. I was having a bitch with it and kept tapping harder and harder.
    A park ranger approached and said let me help. He did everything no problem. I noticed he was using a light touch. Maybe you were hitting the no tip button with to much gusto Jay.

I've noticed that with certain individuals, touchscreens have a real hard time registering their touch.

Obviously frustrating for them, so for people who experience consistent issues across a wide range of screens, I try to suggest a soft tipped stylus or gloves with touch sensitive pads on the fingertips.

#479 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Shocked guys savvy enough to work on pinball machines aren't using a browser that blocks YouTube ads. Using Brave and a Pi-Hole DNS blocker I rarely see any Internet ads or popups and videos work seamlessly with no interruptions.
    Im using Android but I assume IOS folks can do a similar setup with a little work.

It's a bit difficult to block ads in the app.

2 weeks later
    #545 1 year ago

I would imagine most younger folks don't handle cash all that much...most people seem to just use cards. I've encountered a few who were actually repulsed by cash, and wanted digital/card payments instead. Go figure *shrug*.

If you really want to throw them for a loop, show them a $2 bill or a $1 coin. There's probably going to be a 50/50 shot of them accusing you of trying to pass off counterfeit money, so be prepared for that.

I've also noticed some younger folks have trouble reading a clock face since they're so accustomed to a digital readout.

I'm sure there's lots of other skills (like cursive) and knowledge that are fading out and not being picked up by younger folks, simply because they aren't getting used any more.

4 months later
    #702 8 months ago

I went to a local restaurant over the weekend that I hadn't been to before. Nice place, good food, fair prices, but portions were excessive (meaning they could've taken half the meal away and I still would've had trouble finishing it).

Anyway, there was a line printed at the bottom of their menu that said something like: gratuity of 20% will be automatically added to your bill.

I think that's the first time I encountered something like that at a restaurant.

I don't disagree with the amount, but it does take away your choice, which seemed odd.

1 week later
    #743 7 months ago

Swan Lake Nature Sanctuary on Vancouver Island

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Donations? Tips? Is this even official? Where does the collected money go?

3 weeks later
    #767 7 months ago
    #769 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well we can;t feel badly form someone with a $441 gift card for gas....?

Maybe it wasn't actually a "gift". Maybe it's a company gas card.

Or, occasionally I might buy "gift" cards for myself if there's some sort of promotional deal (for example: buy a $50 gift card, get an additional $15 credit free!)

#773 7 months ago

Well, just in case this was a photoshop job, I went down the rabbit hole of reverse image searches, and found the largest source image of this that I could find, which was 3000x4000 pixels and posted May 2023:

https://twitter.com/_tomtomato/status/1661905149932044289/photo/1

FxBF46dWcAAas6H.jpgFxBF46dWcAAas6H.jpg

The poster on twitter said he found the image on reddit.com/r/dallas. However, I wasn't able to find the post. Or any sources earlier than May 26, 2023.

I saw someone else bring up the point that those LCD screens aren't typically touchscreens, since they have the buttons on the sides.

Additionally, with the higher resolution image, it looks like the screen was actually a composited image--the text on the screen has far more jpg artifacts than the valero logo in the corner. The logo is so much more crisp than the other text and blue tip boxes.

And finally, other photos of valero gas pumps seem to indicate that the screen is very glossy. But the one with the tip screen is matte, like most touchscreens would be.

g2xjfj1glkd71.jpgg2xjfj1glkd71.jpg

So, I'm inclined to believe that this was a photoshop gag.

Someone probably took a photo of a tip screen from a Square-branded kiosk (if you zoom in, there are water spots, so it was likely a real screen), maybe manipulated the numbers to match the gas pump, fit the image over top the gas pump's screen, and dropped the valero logo over it.

1 week later
    #777 6 months ago

I never liked the idea of complete randos off the street handling your food to begin with.

Between that and the bonkers pricing of the delivery services didn't make them appealing to me, so I never used them.

Pre-tipping is really just another fee. Pretty much like paying more for a faster shipping service...so technically not a tip to reward good service.

#784 6 months ago
    Quoted from SNES:

I mean people have been having pizzas delivered for decades. It’s the same thing but you can get anything you want.

Not quite the same--pizza deliverers are employees of the pizza place, which means they're directly vetted, supervised, and trained by the pizza place.

The bar is much lower with general delivery services--less vetting, less food safety training, temperature control is hit or miss, and they're 3rd-party contractors who don't have any connection to the restaurant, are not answerable to the restaurant, and the restaurant has no supervisory control over the deliverers.

#789 6 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

To be fair, everything is skyrocketing. Was looking at prices for 90s Ford Rangers.... JFC.
    Kids today will never know how cheap used cars once were.

I paid $900 for my first car...served me well for many years.

Good luck finding anything for that price now...

#794 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I got a 69 chevelle once for 99 bucks,The guy said He would take whatever I had on Me.Drove away in disbelief

Divorce asset?

3 weeks later
    #877 5 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Gofundme now wants a 16% tip?
    I get that they need to pay the bills. Take a % of each donation to cover overhead. Asking for a tip seems like a bad business model….
    Admittedly I gave them 0%.
    [quoted image]

Tipping for an automated system where no services are provided? That's ridiculous.

#879 5 months ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

They provide a service, but not to the donating party.

That's essentially what I said.

There are no (human) services provided to the donor that would warrant asking for a tip.

I wonder if lotto ticket terminals ask for tips now.

2 weeks later
    #904 5 months ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

I'm currently on a business trip. We were too tired to do the whole dinner thing so my coworker and I ordered some take out from a decent restaurant. Mandatory 20% tip automatically added on all takeout orders.
    I always tip for this type of takeout order. I understand someone has to take the time to put it all together, bag it up, ring it up, etc. But I think a mandatory 20% for takeout is a bit much.

I would call that the bare minimum for them to provide what you paid for.

They do the exact same thing at a drive-through, yet no tip is required there.

#905 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was thinking on this.
    How we have a lot of people no longer wanting to work. Especially younger.
    Has the tipping become so universally latched onto everything, have we now got a lot of people automatically expecting to tip ?
    LTG : )

There's no way to tell if these tipping prompts actually sent the tip to the person doing the work, or if it gets directed to the business itself. It's not really the server who was requesting tip screens, but all of a sudden in the last few years businesses made a large push for putting these tip screens in front of everyone, whether or not it was something that was traditionally a tip-based job.

The thing about "not wanting to work" is more an issue of working conditions & pay, rather than laziness. Younger folks have learned that they don't have to put up with toxic work environments or menial/unappreciated and/or low paying jobs if they don't want to. So they take their labor elsewhere. That's where you get businesses that have stressful/toxic work environments, poor conditions, and low pay complaining that "nobody wants to work", when actually they have trouble filling positions given the specific conditions/pay attached the job.

If a burger flipping position paid $5k per day, I'm sure there would be a line out the door for people applying for the job. But everyone knows that retail & food service jobs suck, the pay is usually low, and advancement is basically non-existent, so it stands to reason why those types of jobs aren't in high demand, and why employers have a hard time filling them.

2 months later
    #1131 71 days ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I can’t speak for others, but I don’t like surprise fees on my bill.

That's where everybody makes their real money, lol. Admin fees, convenience fees, improvement fees, service fees, billing fees....

1 month later
    #1202 15 days ago

Not directly related to tipping, but some changes that could increase the size of the tip:

There's a local restaurant I go to maybe a couple times a year to celebrate special occasions. I just went there to celebrate Mother's Day, and there have been a few changes since the last time I was there.

1) Most meals are around $30-$40 a plate. They used to include a salad or small bowl of soup as an appetizer. Now they're extra for $4 each. But, the price of the meals have mostly remained the same.

2) The waitresses now carry ipads around to show photos of all the available meals and desserts. While I think all restaurants should have been doing this years ago, the waitress kept trying to show us more photos even though we indicated that were ready to order and didn't need to see them. I'm not sure if it was house policy to show customers the photos, if she was trying to get us to order more items, or if she was simply over-eager to share the new feature in the dining experience. Otherwise, the meal and service were great as usual.

#1203 15 days ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

They should just put the jar and thats it.

Less people are actually carrying cash these days. I know a few people who carry no cash at all. I think that's crazy not to at least have a small amount of cash as backup, for tips, or other unexpected transactions.

But then again, the only places where I use cash these days are at flea markets, auctions, events/shows that have vendors/sellers, and in-person craigslist/facebook transactions. Usually not normal day-to-day stuff.

#1211 10 days ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I am the opposite. I prefer to carry cash since some places add a "convenience fee" (which is a fancy name for credit card fee) for paying with a card. I recently had car repairs that totaled 700 bucks. When I went to pay, I was told there was a 3 percent credit card fee. That is a lot for simply trying to pay my bill, is it not? I walked across the street and withdrew the money and paid.
    I also recently was in NYC and many of the little markets charge a credit card fee. I refuse to give Visa money for this nonsense.

I noticed that starting this year, some places are starting to charge 2-3% for using a card, which wipes out any credit card rewards gains.

Are people going to start going back to cash if this becomes more commonplace?

#1217 10 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Credit cards are a total scam for businesses. The world would be better off without them.

On the customer side, they offer a few different layers of protection that I like.

If something goes terribly wrong with a transaction, I have a last resort for getting my money back.

There is no direct line to my assets, unlike with cast or debit. So if a card is stolen or compromised, I don't actually lose any money. I just inform the credit card company ASAP, they wipe any fraudulent charges, and issue a new card.

Most credit cards also extend warranties, although I don't think I've had to use it.

However, as a seller, I always worry about potential chargeback fraud. On the other hand, it gives a customer more buying power, especially for impulse buys.

#1220 9 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

All true, but the businesses pay for everything you listed.

True, but merchant fees aren't their only revenue stream.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.