11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OIP (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Molon_Labe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 11 months ago

Deleted

#55 11 months ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Games are just too expensive these days to risk sitting on a 250lb paperweight because I can't get the parts to fix it!

Agreed. The sad reality is that unless Stern changes their tune on backstock inventory to support prior customer purchases, I suspect part out threads will become commonplace unless non-functional pins become modern art decor. $9500 for a NIB premium with only a 60-day warranty with no guarantee of part availability beyond that is a high-dollar gamble for the risk/reward especially seeing multiple threads where Stern has demonstrated that they could care less about supporting previous customers.

1 week later
#64 10 months ago

So, is it fair to say that there are no known out of service bricked Spike2 games due to part availability? Unless I missed it, I didn't see anyone with a Spike2 posting that their machine was down. I was nervous about purchasing a newer unit and experiencing a node board failure and then not being able to get parts. Board failures don't bother me, parts not being available does. Based on this thread, maybe my concerns were unfounded.

#70 10 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

No. It's fair to say no one has posted in this thread that has a bricked Spike 2 game due to parts availability.

Suggest you read up on Spike. This platform was created in 2015, with Spike 2 releasing in 2017 as a board revision allowing games to run LCDs. For a tech reference, the iPhone 8 was the hot new device when these came out. Spike games use dozens of different boards, with different revisions that aren't always backward compatible. I mention the age of the platform because there are already board components which are obsolete. Yes, most of these boards can be purchased--but the same could be said of Spike 1 just a little while ago (which shares some boards with Spike 2 btw).
Stern uses proprietary code on their boards, so without their blessing, no replacement parts can be made (or re-engineered using available components). This also means that if certain components fail, the board might be completely unrepairable even if someone is capable of doing the work. While not a problem today with most Spike 2 games--Stern's track record indicates it will be a concern.
New game owners are who need to pressure Stern to maintain board availability... Stern doesn't care that you aren't going to buy a Wrestlemania... They WANT you to just buy a new game...

All the reasons you stated is why I bought SAM systems. I believe I read in one of the threads that the node boards are also encrypted. If that is indeed true, that would exclude all 3rd party suppliers unless Stern provides the keys or the encryption is defeated. Personally, I don't think there would be enough market to attempt to reverse engineer those node boards so if Stern doesn't stock them they will be unobtanium outside of repair which will be hit or miss being SMT.

With that said, I have found it frustrating that most of the better SAM games are costing more than a a number of Premium Spike2 games that have higher ratings. I suppose that may be a primary driver of the price - people like myself worried about Spike parts availability. Sometimes I feel like just taking the gamble and enjoying all the glitz and fanfare, but then my inner mechanic self and posts like yours bring me back to reality. It really is a gamble even with SAM, but SAM seems to be the safer bet for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Molon_Labe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-else-has-a-bricked-pinball-machine?tu=Molon_Labe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.