95C1A7A4-2ED3-402D-9A29-114451BA818D (resized).jpeg
2001-1_upp_pf__021_(resized).JPG
2001-1_lwr_pf_019_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160108_194231_(resized).jpg
Centigrade_37_BG_2_(resized).jpg
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

I wouldn't want to start a C37 thread since it was made after 1975.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I wouldn't want to start a C37 thread since it was made after 1975.

i don't understand what being after 1975 has to do with anything

#103 8 years ago

Was there a rumor about Wade doing 2001 a while back?

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Was there a rumor about Wade doing 2001 a while back?

i tried to get 20 for that one but only managed to get 9
so it died

#105 8 years ago

1975 was the last year without video games.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i tried to get 20 for that one but only managed to get 9
so it died

I thought you'd have better luck with 2001. It seems as if they saw a lot of play in their day.

I bought 3 of them in 15 months and only one had a decent playfield.

2001-1_lwr_pf_019_(resized).JPG2001-1_lwr_pf_019_(resized).JPG

2001-1_upp_pf__021_(resized).JPG2001-1_upp_pf__021_(resized).JPG

#107 8 years ago

start a thread and see if there is any interest. you might be surprised, it is a popular title that has some wear issues so enough people might want one. i would grab one if he did it.

#108 8 years ago

i wish 2001 would get done. those kickout hole really hammered the pf. that one you posted dave is the nicest one i ever saw.
i don't think wade has anything lined up after atlantis.

#109 8 years ago

I sold the other two 2001's and kept the best playfield. Don't need one myself. I assumed it was a somewhat popular title that folks would want a playfield for. This could be one of those games where they didn't want to sink that much money into a game.

#110 8 years ago

Purchased Atlantis last night and Wade said he doesn't know what playfield is after that. Guess it's up to to us. What will it be? My vote would be Dodge City.

#111 8 years ago

It would be helpful if repro backglasses and plastics were available for titles getting repro playfields. Then can make truly nice examples. That's what's been nice about the recent ones, as the glasses and plastics have also been available, so can complete the hat trick.

So among the titles with glasses and plastics already available, which ones would most benefit from a playfield? That might be interesting to explore. Abra Ca Dabra, for example...

#112 8 years ago

It's a game. I did a Sing Along playfield swap with the plastics not available yet. Eventually, I got the plastic set and the backglass should be done ?.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

It's a game. I did a Sing Along playfield swap with the plastics not available yet. Eventually, I got the plastic set and the backglass should be done ?.

According to Ron Webb, with the permission of Gottlieb Development LLC, another run of Sing Along backglasses will be made sometime in 2016. Still waiting to hear back from the screeners on when they can schedule it.

#114 8 years ago

I vote for C37. Ive got the game but it has a trashed pf.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

i was the one who got lee rolling on the sing along plastics. wade was doing the pf at the time. my plastics were bad. my bg was mint so that wasn't an issue. ron webb had already done the bg so it could be done again. and now is.
i think if we get wade to do a pf that doesn't have plastics yet. we could get lee to do them. the bg is the harder part to get done.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I vote for C37. Ive got the game but it has a trashed pf.

i would pony up 600 for a c37 pf even though it is not one of my favorites. with a new pf and bg and plastic set it would be a easy sell when the time comes to move it out.

#117 8 years ago

Atlantis all the way...C-37 is fun to look at but it is very overrated and in my opinion waaaaaaaay too easy. C-37 wouldn't last a month in my collection without being sold. Atlantis is beautiful all the way around and has the best rule set IMHO for a 70's Gottlieb game. It beats out El Dorado (by a mile...again my opinion) and edges out Abra-Ca-Dabra. Get the Atlantis. The only reason I don't pony up for one is my interests are in 60's Gottlieb machines and Bally zipper flipper games.

Again...buy the Atlantis.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Atlantis all the way...C-37 is fun to look at but it is very overrated and in my opinion waaaaaaaay too easy. C-37 wouldn't last a month in my collection without being sold. Atlantis is beautiful all the way around and has the best rule set IMHO for a 70's Gottlieb game. It beats out El Dorado (by a mile...again my opinion) and edges out Abra-Ca-Dabra. Get the Atlantis. The only reason I don't pony up for one is my interests are in 60's Gottlieb machines and Bally zipper flipper games.
Again...buy the Atlantis.

He's buying both.......

#119 8 years ago

Personally I like the gameplay on both about equal. Atlantis has more intricate rules, but I also like the unique rules in C37 in 5-ball mode. They might both have the same bagatelle setup, but the way they use them is different. The games are different enough to me to have both. Guests and non-pinheads definitely like C37 better. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be Atlantis. Fortunately I don't have to get rid of either at this point!

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yep, a hole in the protector big enough to move the post.

The hole is just barely bigger than the pop switch platter. Works fine and no need for the mylar platter any more. You do have to remove the pops to install the protector. Most everything else can stay on the playfield for the install.
Here is a picture of the Atlantis protector (with the white protective sticker still installed). I am a little skeptical on the star rollovers, but it looks like they have a decent design.

20160108_194231_(resized).jpg

Question on that protector.

Do you have to remove the bagatelle wireforms? Sure looks like it. There are also pins above two of the wireforms in the bagatelle, and pins in the return lane on the right flipper, and of course in the corners of the outlanes?

I don't really want to be removing those wireforms if I don't have to do it. Not necessarily a hard job but things can go wrong.

Interesting idea though.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Personally I like the gameplay on both about equal. Atlantis has more intricate rules, but I also like the unique rules in C37 in 5-ball mode. They might both have the same bagatelle setup, but the way they use them is different. The games are different enough to me to have both. Guests and non-pinheads definitely like C37 better. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be Atlantis. Fortunately I don't have to get rid of either at this point!

If the times comes for you to get rid of Atlantis, please PM me!!!

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It would be helpful if repro backglasses and plastics were available for titles getting repro playfields. Then can make truly nice examples. That's what's been nice about the recent ones, as the glasses and plastics have also been available, so can complete the hat trick.
So among the titles with glasses and plastics already available, which ones would most benefit from a playfield? That might be interesting to explore. Abra Ca Dabra, for example...

Well, at least for Atlantis you can have it all once Wade gets going, as PBR has the plastics and bgresto the glass.

Lee and Gordon have the plastics for ACD and Ron Webb has the glass. Only need the playfield. And the game. And I'm taking care of that part of it this weekend.

#123 8 years ago

This thread makes me think about getting an Atlantis but the fact it has 3 inch flippers is a caveat because I'm more of a 2 inch flipper guy.

If I did decide to get a 3 inch flipper game then which would you choose...

Atlantis or El Dorado?

Bruce

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

This thread makes me think about getting an Atlantis but the fact it has 3 inch flippers is a caveat because I'm more of a 2 inch flipper guy.
Atlantis or El Dorado?
Bruce

For the theme it's easy - Atlantis (for me). However, El Dorado is 'the best' take on that layout since the drops actually reset and you aren't left with nothing to do really. Both.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Atlantis or El Dorado?
Bruce

that is another thread in itself!!!
that is hard than Atlantis vs c37

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

For the theme it's easy - Atlantis (for me). However, El Dorado is 'the best' take on that layout since the drops actually reset and you aren't left with nothing to do really. Both.

Atlantis' drops reset.

#127 8 years ago

el do has both 2" and 3" flippers and I like chasing the special
atlantis has the better rule set and better art package
I would be a hard choice that I am glad I don't have to make

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Question on that protector.
Do you have to remove the bagatelle wireforms? Sure looks like it. There are also pins above two of the wireforms in the bagatelle, and pins in the return lane on the right flipper, and of course in the corners of the outlanes?
I don't really want to be removing those wireforms if I don't have to do it. Not necessarily a hard job but things can go wrong.
Interesting idea though.

The pins stayed when I did Abra Ca Dabra, but the wire guides have to be removed for the install. They are pretty easy to remove with a pry bar and some thick cardboard to protect the playfield. I can't see the danger unless the playfield is clear coated - in which case the protector is not needed.

We are finally getting some cool, dry weather here so I should be able to stencil the Atlantis cabinet this week and put the protector in during the reassembly.

Quoted from shimoda:

If the times comes for you to get rid of Atlantis, please PM me!!!

Don't hold your breath. After all the work to stencil it, I won't be selling any time soon.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Easy for me. Atlantis all day long. I'm not in love with El Dorado. For me, it's an "OK" game.

Marcus

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

1975 was the last year without video games.

Well, "Pong" came out in '72. I believe that was the first to have impact in the arcades. In the college-town arcade I frequented back in the day, there were always 4+ at the Pong when I walked through the front door.

#131 8 years ago

To clarify,

Quoted from EMsInKC:Atlantis' drops reset.

I was pointing out that El Dorado reset versus the other versions of that table that are 2/4 player like Target Alpha.

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

bgresto the glass.

bgresto is OK when there's no other option, but for combining with a repro playfield and true repro plastics, for me it would need to be a silkscreened glass like Ron or Shay have produced.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The pins stayed when I did Abra Ca Dabra, but the wire guides have to be removed for the install. They are pretty easy to remove with a pry bar and some thick cardboard to protect the playfield. I can't see the danger unless the playfield is clear coated - in which case the protector is not needed.
We are finally getting some cool, dry weather here so I should be able to stencil the Atlantis cabinet this week and put the protector in during the reassembly.

Don't hold your breath. After all the work to stencil it, I won't be selling any time soon.

I've removed them before and I know it's not that bad a job, but you never know prying something out of the playfield can go wrong.

If I was going to stay with my current playfield long term I'd consider it, but since I'm probably not going to do that, I won't. Thanks for the info though.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

bgresto is OK when there's no other option, but for combining with a repro playfield and true repro plastics, for me it would need to be a silkscreened glass like Ron or Shay have produced.

Well, I knew that would be a reply. And I understand it. But for some reason, despite the obvious popularity of this game, neither has done one. I don't pretend to know why. Maybe this glass just had better staying power? Mine is extremely nice, just two very small flakes in the fish above the score reels.

I would also say that Steve at bgresto is constantly working to tweak and improve his product. I've had a great experience with Ron Webb's glasses. Never bought a Shay glass but I have a friend who has and his experience hasn't been so positive. Color matching issues there.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

neither has done one

Ron did Atlantis, and it's currently listed on his website.

I've had several of both Ron and Shay's. No complaints here.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Ron did Atlantis, and it's currently listed on his website.
I've had several of both Ron and Shay's. No complaints here.

LOL, don't know how I missed that one. Bad Monday I guess.

All I can tell you is I saw the two glasses he bought from Shay and they weren't even close. Now, maybe I'm too picky, but generally I'm not, but those glasses had colors that just weren't at all close.

1 month later
#137 8 years ago

Okay, so I got both games delivered this week and have them tweaked and working 100%.

Had to high tap Atlantis to get the kind of play expected, but not C37.

My initial impression of play is that although C37 seems to have more going on in it, Atlantis feels more fully integrated in features and ruleset.

Atlantis took a bit to get the flipper angles right, and I really like how the slings enhance gameplay; the rubber up top and the lanes inspire lots of nudging. Target on/off rollover stars remind you that you can't control everything. Like that.

C37 feels a bit disjointed in how features integrate. The ribbon animation is pretty cool. I wondered how that was done. In this case, I like no slings. Seems like there are more flips because of that. Never seen the inlane divider plastics before and glad I don't need them. Must be a bear to find. The D shot is a challenge. I think special should have been made harder by completing the thermometer AND completing ABCD.
I would have tied the drops to something other than advancing the animation. Like the usefulness of the right flip backhand. Think I will put it on three ball as five seems too easy. After a half dozen games, never having played it before, scored about 240K.

Probably will keep both, but keep my eye out for a really nice Atlantis and sell this one.

#138 8 years ago

Not that I wouldn't try it but I find Centigrade 37 is easier on 3 ball. It's like they overcompensated for only 3 balls.

Still you have two fun games there.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Not that I wouldn't try it but I find Centigrade 37 is easier on 3 ball. It's like they overcompensated for only 3 balls.
Still you have two fun games there.

i made my c37 3 ball with 5 ball rules, it was much harder

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

good point. Sometimes, it is just a properly placed jumper to trip game over at the end of the third ball while leaving the Jones plug in the 5 ball position to keep the harder rules programming.

I usually how 3 ball rules join features on the playfield diminishing the original design.

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

No schematic yet, but guessing you had to distribute the pins on the 3-5 ball Jones plug? How did you do it?

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

good point. Sometimes, it is just a properly placed jumper to trip game over at the end if the third ball while leaving the Jones plug in the 5 ball position to keep the harder rules programming.
I usually how 3 ball rules join features on the playfield diminishing the original design.

Wow! That's a lot of games you have....

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Never seen the inlane divider plastics before and glad I don't need them. Must be a bear to find.

Nah, PBR has them.

#144 8 years ago

Set it to 3 ball with 5 ball ruleset by jumping the fourth lug from the top on the 3/5 connector.

Didn't have the schematic just went through process of elimination.

Entirely different game. Much better.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Set it to 3 ball with 5 ball ruleset by jumping the fourth lug from the top on the 3/5 connector.
Didn't have the schematic just went through process of elimination.
Entirely different game. Much better.

told ya so

#146 8 years ago

And right you were....

#147 8 years ago

it works good on high hand also. makes a bit better with 5 balls and all targets down high hand is a snooze fest.
3 balls 5 ball rules makes it better. wish you could mod the drops without so much effort...

#148 8 years ago

Was thinking about seeing what HH would be like set like that.

Spoke with BlownFuse about such a mod a couple weeks ago. Involves tapping 110 off the red wire at the start relay to NO switches in series on each of the target banks, so the switches close when bank is completed.

The wiring then goes to a new NO switch added to the add ball count relay in the head and then back to brown wire on the start relay.

Switches need to have large pads. Once all targets are dropped, mod will raise them when ball drains.

8 years later
#149 68 days ago

yeah, old thread.
i can't unsee the fact that the dude on the atlantis backglass has child bearing hips. looks like a female from that narrow waist on down.

#150 68 days ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

yeah, old thread.
i can't unsee the fact that the dude on the atlantis backglass has child bearing hips. looks like a female from that narrow waist on down.

Kinda agree. Still one of my favorite games.

95C1A7A4-2ED3-402D-9A29-114451BA818D (resized).jpeg95C1A7A4-2ED3-402D-9A29-114451BA818D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

4,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Highlands Ranch, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 150 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/atlantis-vs-centigrade-37/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.