fusefix (resized).jpg
0-15 (resized).jpg
0-37 (resized).jpg
0-35 (resized).jpg
0-36 (resized).jpg
power-cut-no-power.gif
#1 6 months ago

Hi.

My AFM was working absolutely fine for a year (no electronic problems at all), until I plugged it into a socket controlled by a switch with a fader (I think it's a Lutron Diva). It still worked fine, until today. The light switch w/fader controls a pair of wall lights and a pair of outlets (you turn on the lights and adjust their brightness with the fader). Yesterday, when the fader was set low, my AFM did not come on. Then, I moved the fader up, and the machine came on. I assume I sent variable/increasing current through the machine. I switch the light off at night (I don't flip the machine's power switch off). Today, when I turned on the lights (fader all the way up) my AFM did not turn on. I have tried plugging the machine into a different socket. No luck.

Thanks.

#2 6 months ago

Start by checking the main fuse on top of the box over the on/off switch.

Then plug something into the service outlet, see if you have power that far.

Power cord shoved into rear of the machine tight.

LTG : )

#3 6 months ago

Thanks. The power cord is snug. I'll check the fuse. I've never replaced a fuse at any point in my life. This will be a first. If NYC goes dark, you'll know why.

#4 6 months ago

Alert us know what happens with the fuse

#5 6 months ago

There's also the MOV inside of the power box. It really should only blow if the voltage is too high, but if the fuses are fine, then that's just another thing to check and/or rule out.

#6 6 months ago

Of all the houses I've wired I never put a dimmer on a wall outlet. Not even sure that's up to code, I could think of a dozen reasons why it shouldn't be. Hard wired lamp ceiling/wall boxes only, LED's require a matched dimmer depending on type.
A dimmer takes a sine wave and dices it up into time sections. The longer the time section, the brighter the bulb. The shorter, the dimmer the bulb. Transformers expect a sine wave and are rated as such. Plugging a transformer into a "dimmed" dimmer gives that transformer quick pulses of electrical current. On, off, on, off. Then that transformer outputs that with different output voltages to match the various board requirements. On, off, on, off throughout the circuitry. I can not imagine certain chips would like that.
I just did an install at an art gallery at commercial gallery. None of the 12 work lights up on the track were working. When I got up there I discovered that they were fluorescent meaning they incorporated a ballast type transformer. An electrician had removed a regular switch from the wall and replaced it with a dimmer. Ruined all 12 expensive fluorescent work lights. The dimmer was fine as I replaced a fixture with a regular incandescent.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Of all the houses I've wired I never put a dimmer on a wall outlet. Not even sure that's up to code,

It's not and an it's extremely bad idea for this very reason.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's also the MOV inside of the power box. It really should only blow if the voltage is too high, but if the fuses are fine, then that's just another thing to check and/or rule out.

Thanks. I hope to tackle this issue, this coming week.

#9 6 months ago

The machine was working a-ok, until it met the dimmer. I moved it from one part of my condo to another. I always forget that those two outlets are controlled by the wall switch.

My condo has dimmers on most of the switches. in lower Manhattan, every new condo is supposed to look like an art gallery (I can see three art galleries from my balcony). That's the general aesthetic. Therefore, your comment doesn't surprise me. My hall light has been flickering a lot. It too is on a dimmer. Maybe I'll replace the switches. The unit was built in 2010, but, until I bought it in 2022, it had been used only as a pied-a-terre. I don't think the previous owners stayed in it that much. I'm the first primary resident.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Of all the houses I've wired I never put a dimmer on a wall outlet. Not even sure that's up to code, I could think of a dozen reasons why it shouldn't be. Hard wired lamp ceiling/wall boxes only, LED's require a matched dimmer depending on type.
A dimmer takes a sine wave and dices it up into time sections. The longer the time section, the brighter the bulb. The shorter, the dimmer the bulb. Transformers expect a sine wave and are rated as such. Plugging a transformer into a "dimmed" dimmer gives that transformer quick pulses of electrical current. On, off, on, off. Then that transformer outputs that with different output voltages to match the various board requirements. On, off, on, off throughout the circuitry. I can not imagine certain chips would like that.
I just did an install at an art gallery at commercial gallery. None of the 12 work lights up on the track were working. When I got up there I discovered that they were fluorescent meaning they incorporated a ballast type transformer. An electrician had removed a regular switch from the wall and replaced it with a dimmer. Ruined all 12 expensive fluorescent work lights. The dimmer was fine as I replaced a fixture with a regular incandescent.

The machine was working a-ok, until it met the dimmer. I moved it from one part of my condo to another. I always forget that those two outlets are controlled by the wall switch.

My condo has dimmers on most of the switches. In Manhattan, every new condo is supposed to look like an art gallery (I can see three art galleries from my balcony). That's the general aesthetic. Therefore, your comment doesn't surprise me. My hall light has been flickering a lot. It too is on a dimmer. Maybe I'll replace the switches. The unit was built in 2010, but, until I bought it in 2023, it had been used only as a pied-a-terre. I don't think the previous owners stayed in it that much. I'm the first full-time resident.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from blainerunner:

This will be a first. If NYC goes dark, you'll know why.

Lol made me laugh !

power-cut-no-power.gifpower-cut-no-power.gif
4 weeks later
#12 5 months ago

Hello, again.

I plugged a power strip into the black power cable coming out of the metal box above the on/off switch. I plugged a table lamp into the power strip. The lamp turned on. Does that mean the fuse is ok? Where does that leave me? I assume I have to look upstream for the problem. One interesting thing: When I i flip the power switch on the machine off, the lamp remains on. I can turn the switch on and off yet the lamp doesn't turn off. Update: I plugged the ac adapter into an outlet. The green light on the adapter lit up, but nothing happened with the machine. So, the adapter works. This is the ac adapter that was plugged into the black power cable that is plugged into the power box (above the on/off switch).

0-35 (resized).jpg0-35 (resized).jpg0-36 (resized).jpg0-36 (resized).jpg0-37 (resized).jpg0-37 (resized).jpg

#13 5 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hi. I just now tried that. See below. It looks like the fuse/power box is ok. I plugged a lamp into it, and lamp turns on.

#14 5 months ago

Hello, again.
I plugged a power strip into the black power cable coming out of the metal box above the on/off switch. I plugged a table lamp into the power strip. The lamp turned on. Does that mean the fuse is ok? Where does that leave me? I assume I have to look upstream for the problem. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

In

Quoted from LTG:

Start by checking the main fuse on top of the box over the on/off switch.
Then plug something into the service outlet, see if you have power that far.
Power cord shoved into rear of the machine tight.

Hi. I finally did this (as you suggested) The results are detailed below (power pathway seems fine, but the machine isn't turning on).

#15 5 months ago

but the machine isn't turning on

Get a meter. Check voltage test points on the driver board. See if any are low or missing.

#16 5 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get a meter. Check voltage test points on the driver board. See if any are low or missing.

Meter? You're talking about tools. I know Tool the band. Tools are an entirely new world for me. I have a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a hammer. Nobody said playing pinball would require tools. But I'll try. More updates soon. Thanks.

#17 5 months ago

That's the spirit. Youtube has lots of short videos to help you with a meter.

#18 5 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's not and an it's extremely bad idea for this very reason.

It's also a quick way to fry an expensive dimmer when you plug an inductive load into it like a vacuum cleaner.

3 weeks later
#19 4 months ago

I finally removed the fuse. It looks blown (no wire and a small brown splotch). I ordered more. Strangely, even with the fuse removed, I can plug a lamp into the outlet in the powerbox above the on/off switch. The absence of any fuse doesn't prevent electricity from passing from the wall outlet through the machine to the lamp.

#20 4 months ago

Strangely, even with the fuse removed, I can plug a lamp into the outlet in the powerbox above the on/off switch. The absence of any fuse doesn't prevent electricity from passing from the wall outlet through the machine to the lamp.

Service outlet is always on. Fuse is on the game side past the service outlet.

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Service outlet is always on. Fuse is on the game side past the service outlet.

That explains a lot.

I'm still waiting for the fuses to arrive.

#22 4 months ago

Oops. I ordered the wrong size fuse. Who knew that fuses come in different sizes?

0-15 (resized).jpg0-15 (resized).jpg

#23 4 months ago

Who knew that fuses come in different sizes?

You do now. 20mm and 1 1/4 inch

This will get you by until you get the right fuse. Solder the bad one on top of the blown one. Plug the blown one in the holder. Instant new fuse. Works just as good. I wouldn't leave it in there though, replace it when you get the correct fuse.

fusefix (resized).jpgfusefix (resized).jpg
#24 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

This will get you by until you get the right fuse. Solder the bad one on top of the blown one. Plug the blown one in the holder. Instant new fuse. Works just as good. I wouldn't leave it in there though, replace it when you get the correct fuse.
[quoted image]

I thought I'd be a wise ass here, but I just can't say it.

#25 4 months ago

Oops. I ordered the wrong size fuse. Who knew that fuses come in different sizes?
[quoted image]

Is it the correct value, or did you buy any random fuse? Ever since the “will solder indoors ruin $40k couch, Taylor Swift is my neighbor” thread I can’t take this guy seriously

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Reddit, sculpture classes, “my floor costs more than a pinball”, and tape instead of solder? [quoted image]

#26 4 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Is it the correct value, or did you buy any random fuse? Ever since the “will solder indoors ruin $40k couch, Taylor Swift is my neighbor” thread I can’t take this guy seriously

I just ordered fuses for Williams/Bally games from 1991-1995. I don't know electronics. I used to be an English professor. I did a PhD in 17thC English (Brandeis University). I didn't get an degree in electronics. In 2022, I inherited wealth.

I am not fake. I can provide any proof that you request. I keep getting banned from websites for being fake, but I am not fake. I got banned from Hinge, Tinder, and Bumble for saying I have a PhD and inherited money. But both are true. This is me. 0-21 (resized).jpg0-21 (resized).jpg

0-7 copy (resized).jpg0-7 copy (resized).jpgnttt (resized).jpgnttt (resized).jpg

#27 4 months ago

I just ordered fuses for Williams/Bally games from 1991-1995. I don't know electronics. I used to be an English professor. I did a PhD in 17thC English (Brandeis University). I didn't get an degree in electronics. In 2022, I inherited wealth, but I went to private school (Shady Hill, Concord Academy) with much wealthier kids.
I am not fake. I can provide any proof that you request. I keep getting banned from websites for being fake, but I am not fake. I got banned from Hinge, Tinder, and Bumble for saying I have a PhD and inherited money. But both are true. This is me. [quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

#28 4 months ago

I just ordered fuses for Williams/Bally games from 1991-1995. I don't know electronics. I used to be an English professor. I did a PhD in 17thC English (Brandeis University). I didn't get an degree in electronics. In 2022, I inherited wealth.
I am not fake. I can provide any proof that you request. I keep getting banned from websites for being fake, but I am not fake. I got banned from Hinge, Tinder, and Bumble for saying I have a PhD and inherited money. But both are true. This is me. [quoted image]

How is it that you don't see what's wrong here?

#29 4 months ago

Probably the fuse, since it is required to send the power from the black wire to the line filter. Doesn't mean something else couldn't be the problem either. I'd take the whole shebang off the cab wall just to check. You should be able to do that with your newly purchased Klein 11 in 1 Screwdriver.

IMG_0501.jpegIMG_0501.jpegKlein (resized).pngKlein (resized).png
1 week later
#30 3 months ago

The new fuse worked! but now the machine keeps tilting. It tilts, almost immediately after sending a ball into play. I barely even touch the machine. pinball ownership is a labor of love.

Maybe the machine isn't tilting. it's just thinking about Chuck Norris.

#31 3 months ago

Maybe the machine isn't tilting.

Something on top of the tilt on the floor of the cabinet ?

#32 3 months ago

…or the plumb bob for the tilt is not seated properly. Also, the plumb bob cone could need to be adjusted down with the thumb screw.

1 month later
#33 58 days ago

Have you considered Grindr?

2 weeks later
#34 38 days ago

I'm not liar. I just don't want to get banned, because I need to ask repair questions. I don't care whether you like me. We will never meet. I just want to have access to Pinside to buy machines, buy mods, and ask repair questions.

Anyhow, I attended private school with UHNW kids. Everyone I know is rich. As for the education thing, my dad attended Yale, Columbia, and Harvard. Therefore, my own academic pedigree is shit, by comparison. Most of my friends went to Harvard, Yale, or Brown. I'm the dumb one.

I posted that stuff, because I was afraid I was about to be banned for being fake. I asked an innocent question about a pinball machine, and someone started to imply that I'm a fake account.

#35 38 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Have you considered Grindr?

I'm straight. I'm trying to meet women who resemble Syndey Sweeney or Imogen Poots. I live in TriBeca. Some of my neighbors look a bit like that, but they're all in live--in relationships. There are very few single women, west of Broadway in Manhattan. I see a lot of single women in Two Bridges and the EV.

#36 38 days ago

I'm not liar. I just don't want to get banned, because I need to ask repair questions. I don't care whether you like me. We will never meet. I just want to have access to Pinside to buy machines, buy mods, and ask repair questions.
Anyhow, I attended private school with UHNW kids. Everyone I know is rich. As for the education thing, my dad attended Yale, Columbia, and Harvard. Therefore, my own academic pedigree is shit, by comparison. Most of my friends went to Harvard, Yale, or Brown. I'm the dumb one.
I posted that stuff, because I was afraid I was about to be banned for being fake. I asked an innocent question about a pinball machine, and someone started to imply that I'm a fake account.

You need to make some poorer friends so somebody can help you fix your pinball machines. Rich people just don't get their hands dirty!

#37 38 days ago

I wish Blainerunner and Crazy Levi were closer to each other...

#38 38 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I wish Blainerunner and Crazy Levi were closer to each other...

I'm working on looking more like Sydney Sweeney. Dying my hair blond tonight. ALL my hair. Curtain will match drapes.

#39 38 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm working on looking more like Sydney Sweeney. Dying my hair blond tonight.

Hair? Lol. When did you get hair?

#40 38 days ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Hair? Lol. When did you get hair?

Dude I've been rocking a skullet since the lockdown!

#41 38 days ago

All kidding aside I sympathize with the Blainerunner.

It's well-known that insanely hot and wealthy guys in Manhattan with multi-million dollar condos and expensive mid-century modern furniture have a terrible time finding women in NYC.

The deck is stacked against them!

#42 37 days ago

Can we add this post to the hall of fame thread? First one to do it gets a nice can of Shasta.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 3.80
Playfield - Other
Steel Tiger Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Whitty Pinball Creations

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attack-from-mars-won-t-turn-on- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.