IMG_1128 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1126 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1124 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1125 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1314 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1315 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1376 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,931 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 79.
#3901 19 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Is the MPU properly switch optioned for Dolly Parton?

Yeah, 4 on 3 off 1 on. It is also blowing the 20 amp Gi fuse in coil test

IMG_1126 (resized).jpegIMG_1126 (resized).jpeg
#3902 19 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Yeah, 4 on 3 off 1 on. It is also blowing the 20 amp Gi fuse in coil test[quoted image]

On the replacement rectifier boards, J1 is 9 pins because some later games used a 9th pin. Dolly does not use the 9th pin, so if you didn't key your J1 connector after recrimping, you might have plugged it in wrong. J1 is everything for the playfield, including GI and solenoids.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3903 18 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

On the replacement rectifier boards, J1 is 9 pins because some later games used a 9th pin. Dolly does not use the 9th pin, so if you didn't key your J1 connector after recrimping, you might have plugged it in wrong. J1 is everything for the playfield, including GI and solenoids.
[quoted image]

It’s not plugged into pin 9 on rec board J1. It’s getting proper power on all the LEDs on the mpu and sdb and booting all the way. I also found for continuity between mpu j4 1-4 and sdb j4 3-6. I’m wondering if it could be a bad connector elsewhere on the mpu or sdb. I’ll also go ahead and re repin the rec board connectors while I’m at it. I’ve ruled out lamp, sound, and switches other than test switch by unplugging them all.

#3904 18 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Dolly fires wrong solenoids in test

Detail exactly which solenoids are activating at each solenoid test so we can try to work out if there is a pattern in the error.

Quoted from sullivcd40:

It also fires all solenoids to start a game.

Is the game playing the correct sounds/tunes?

Note, the solenoid select signals double up as sound select signals. These signals from MPU J4 (pins 1-4) first go to the sound board J1 (pins 1-4) then daisy chain onto the SDB J4 (pins 3-6) connector. There is a separate Solenoid/Sound control signal (MPU J4-10 to sound J1-8 to SDB J4-7 (Brown-Red wire)). This control signal tells the sound board and SDB who should accept the four select signals.

#3905 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Detail exactly which solenoids are activating at each solenoid test so we can try to work out if there is a pattern in the error.

Is the game playing the correct sounds/tunes?
Note, the solenoid select signals double up as sound select signals. These signals from MPU J4 (pins 1-4) first go to the sound board J1 (pins 1-4) then daisy chain onto the SDB J4 (pins 3-6) connector. There is a separate Solenoid/Sound control signal (MPU J4-10 to sound J1-8 to SDB J4-7 (Brown-Red wire)). This control signal tells the sound board and SDB who should accept the four select signals.

The picture of the coil table shows handwritten actual versus expected in test. Sound is not properly functioning when plugged in. I’ve included additional pictures of the boards as well.

IMG_1128 (resized).jpegIMG_1128 (resized).jpegIMG_1129 (resized).jpegIMG_1129 (resized).jpegIMG_1130 (resized).jpegIMG_1130 (resized).jpegIMG_1131 (resized).jpegIMG_1131 (resized).jpegIMG_1132 (resized).jpegIMG_1132 (resized).jpegIMG_1133 (resized).jpegIMG_1133 (resized).jpeg
#3906 18 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

The picture of the coil table shows handwritten actual versus expected in test.

You've got 16 written next to the coin lockout and 17 next to the flipper relay, meanwhile there are only 11 coils total. Please clarify.

#3907 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:You've got 16 written next to the coin lockout and 17 next to the flipper relay, meanwhile there are only 11 coils total. Please clarify.

16 is the number on the display when the coin lockout clicks.

#3908 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

You've got 16 written next to the coin lockout and 17 next to the flipper relay, meanwhile there are only 11 coils total. Please clarify.

Only 11 coils, but Stern/Bally didn't always used them in sequence; numbers would be skipped.

#3909 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

These signals from MPU J4 (pins 1-4) first go to the sound board J1 (pins 1-4) then daisy chain onto the SDB J4 (pins 3-6) connector. There is a separate Solenoid/Sound control signal (MPU J4-10 to sound J1-8 to SDB J4-7 (Brown-Red wire)). This control signal tells the sound board and SDB who should accept the four select signals.

This is a great clue, I think I need to repin the sound connectors next.

#3910 18 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Only 11 coils, but Stern/Bally didn't always used them in sequence; numbers would be skipped.

Stern yes, some of their games resolve the solenoid test number to the actual driver transistor number for convenience and go up to 19.
This is not the case with Bally and the game in question is Dolly Parton. Game only has 11 coils and so solenoid test only goes to 11 specifically testing each coil.

Quoted from sullivcd40:

16 is the number on the display when the coin lockout clicks.

If solenoid test is going to 16, your MPU board definitely is not running Dolly Parton game code.
Your game select dip switches look correct. I'm guessing that maybe switch number 5 is being seen as On instead of Off resulting in the board booting instead as Night Rider. This can explain why you see 16 in solenoid test and why many solenoids fire when you start a game (Night Rider is a chime game). Flick that game select switch 5 on and off a few times and back to off to see if it resolves to Dolly Parton.

#3911 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Stern yes, some of their games resolve the solenoid test number to the actual driver transistor number and go up to 19.
This is not the case with Bally and the game in question is a Dolly Parton. Game only has 11 coils and so solenoid test only goes to 11.

If solenoid test is going to 16, your MPU board definitely is not running Dolly Parton game code.
Your game select dip switches look correct. I'm guessing that maybe switch number 5 is being seen as On instead of Off resulting in the board booting instead as Night Rider. This can explain why you see 16 in solenoid test and why many solenoids fire when you start a game (Night Rider is a chime game). Flick that game select switch 5 on and off a few times and back to off to see if it resolves to Dolly Parton.

I tried toggling all game select switches a few times, plugged everything backed in, but the problem remains. I have another weebly in my big game that I can try swapping.

#3912 18 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I have another weebly in my big game that I can try swapping.

Wait a few minutes. We will test your switches on that MPU board. I just need to create a diagram for you.

#3913 18 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I tried toggling all game select switches a few times, plugged everything backed in, but the problem remains.

The voltages at the round pads above the game select switches should read as indicated.

MPU_Weebly_Game_Select_Switches.jpgMPU_Weebly_Game_Select_Switches.jpg

#3914 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

The voltages at the round pads above the game select switches should read as indicated.
[quoted image]

I got 0 0 0 5 5 5 5 5 0. So getting 5v at the 4th pad from the left instead of 0 as indicated by your diagram.

#3915 18 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I got 0 0 0 5 5 5 5 5 0. So getting 5v at the 4th pad from the left instead of 0 as indicated by your diagram.

That equates to Kings of Steel. It goes to 17 in solenoid test. Try flicking that 4th switch on and off a few more times. If no luck you may need to talk to barakandl about it. Big Game wants that switch on as well. Anyway you can use the MPU board out of your Big Game to continue testing Dolly Parton.

#3916 18 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

That equates to Kings of Steel. It goes to 17 in solenoid test. Try flicking that 4th switch on and off a few more times. If no luck you may need to talk to barakandl about it. Big Game wants that switch on as well. Anyway you can use the MPU board out of your Big Game to continue testing Dolly Parton.

Let’s go!!!!!! Took a few more hard toggles and I felt that switch sorta pop into place. It’s was maybe sliding a little before. Thank you once again Quench! Also credit to Big Al, he was right from the beginning.

#3917 18 days ago

Quench - that was a beautiful example of remote triage. Really well done!!

#3918 17 days ago

Hopefully an easy question here.

I need to replace the switch stacks on my Mr and Mrs Pac for the flipper buttons. But I cannot for the life of me figure out the part number. It's not in the manual, and I'm not sure which part number in the '82 parts book is the one I'm looking for. More worried about the switches that control the pac-maze than the flippers themselves.

Anybody know what part number I'm needing to order?

#3919 16 days ago

New pop bumper switch stack from Pbl for an ebd. The diode for the spoon I get; the extra diode were the lights go, is not technically used. Leave or cut out?

IMG_3375 (resized).jpegIMG_3375 (resized).jpeg
#3920 16 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

New pop bumper switch stack from Pbl for an ebd. The diode for the spoon I get; the extra diode were the lights go, is not technically used. Leave or cut out?[quoted image]

Cut out

#3921 15 days ago

Quench you are a truly phenomenal troubleshooter. Always very impressed.

#3922 15 days ago
Quoted from jsa:

@Quench you are a truly phenomenal troubleshooter.

Thanks! The trouble shooting we did here with your Future Spa was pretty epic
What was the end result with the solar inverter?

#3923 14 days ago
Quoted from jsa:

I second that! Amazing

#3924 14 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Thanks! The trouble shooting we did here with your Future Spa was pretty epic
What was the end result with the solar inverter?

The company that made it ripped the entire thing out on their own dime and replaced it with a modern and better electronics. Then a year ago I sold the house and moved to Michigan. Future Spa came with me. Of course!

It was amazing that the manufacturer read through our whole thread. They changed things as a result.

Now I use isolating transformers as a matter of principle.

#3925 12 days ago
Quoted from jsa:

Quench really is this best here. I had some crazy issue and he replied with some crazy thing to check that I thought "huh, no way", but of course he was right. Something I'd been chasing for weeks resolved in minutes.

#3926 10 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

New pop bumper switch stack from Pbl for an ebd. The diode for the spoon I get; the extra diode were the lights go, is not technically used. Leave or cut out?[quoted image]

Flip one solder lug to the other side for the lamp feature.

1 week later
#3927 2 days ago

can someone confirm factory star post size on bally's is 1 3/16?

#3928 2 days ago
Quoted from woody76:

can someone confirm factory star post size on bally's is 1 3/16?

What specific post.... They use both heights on most games depending on position.

#3929 38 hours ago
Quoted from slochar:

What specific post.... They use both heights on most games depending on position.

Its for a Dolly Parton. I do not have the game in hand yet and was wanting to order some supplies for the swap. I ordered 1 3/16.

#3930 26 hours ago

Was 8 years old when I first started playing these awesome games and now I finally an owner. Added a nice Future Spa with freshly stenciled cabinet, nice playfield and have pushed all my modern games aside the last two nights to dig in! What a great game…played on location and in tourney for the past couple months along with many other Bally/Sterns.

Wish the backglass didn't have the flaking from previous owners but it’s been cleared.

Won’t try to ask too many questions as a noob to the group
EAC95649-C4C6-4371-BEB4-77EA16097CDE (resized).jpegEAC95649-C4C6-4371-BEB4-77EA16097CDE (resized).jpeg

#3931 15 hours ago
Quoted from woody76:

Its for a Dolly Parton. I do not have the game in hand yet and was wanting to order some supplies for the swap. I ordered 1 3/16.

You can view and download the parts manuals here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Parts_Catalogs
Bally games generally use 2 different height posts depending on if the post supports a plastic or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Laval, QC
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,931 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club/page/79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.