tumblr_mqrjcr1SMr1sczn81o1_500 (resized).png
882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg
IMG_1997.gif
e60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.
#1101 17 days ago

This shows you why you pay a real designer to design. There appears to be several areas of the design process skipped. Step 1, brainstorm

IMG_6085 (resized).jpegIMG_6085 (resized).jpeg
#1102 17 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah it was at Glitch. Unfortunately they closed the private back pinball room but a new location is opening next month I think that will feature all those games.

Yea they moved most of their games to the new location which keeps getting pushed back, but look forward to the larger space dedicated to pins. I believe those few games left at Glitch are also going to be moved out once it opens from what I heard.

#1103 17 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Oh that game fucking sucks I want to play Jaws."
Trust me, these gals do not know what Pinside is.

It also sounds like they don't know the fourteen or however many references to other Barry games contained within bbq. If you simply return to the bar with a tablet and show them one of the streams where Bowden tries to list them off, then I expect their opinions will change and they will each buy the game NIB (or at least an apron to wear sexily).

#1104 17 days ago
Quoted from pindel:

This shows you why you pay a real designer to design. There appears to be several areas of the design process skipped. Step 1, brainstorm
[quoted image]

so you upset that you did not get a band or movie pin?
so what is acting sensibility mean to you?

#1105 17 days ago

narrow mindedness in this hobby. we have one company that ends up being different and everyone head cannot fathom, fathom a theme outside of the "Norm" i have a term to describe you.

Band and movie pins are the musical tooth brushes of the pinball world.

Everyone thinks that their theme is going to revive the hobby and we are going to usher in the new era of pinball. get that thinking out of your head. its not going to happen that way, i keep going back to the walking dead.

you people are shallow and narrow minded when it comes to these things python was right. their is no creativity in this hobby. a company takes the chance to do something else and and instantly roasted on the spit because, they did not cater to the "Formula."

you people squeal about instant buy in, its pinball talk for "I cant control myself" look at Haggis Fathom, yet the buyer wants to put their money instantly and gets burned but you people cant learn a few things, the people on this forum like to put up a good talking but yet went comes to actually putting your money where your mouth is, you people cave, because, theme.

its the self righteous empty talk from this forum that makes it hallow.

Go to the stern thread and most of the time its about what is "Popular" newsflash just because an IP is "Popular" does not translate to pinball. you would think that every stern release would grow the hobby.

this stuff is utter vanity. (Ill finish later).

#1106 17 days ago

#1107 17 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

narrow mindedness in this hobby. we have one company that ends up being different and everyone head cannot fathom, fathom a theme outside of the "Norm" i have a term to describe you.
Everyone thinks that their theme is going to revive the hobby and we are going to usher in the new era of pinball. get that thinking out of your head. its not going to happen that way, i keep going back to the walking dead.
you people are shallow and narrow minded when it comes to these things python was right. their is no creativity in this hobby. a company takes the chance to do something else and and instantly roasted on the spit because, they did not cater to the "Formula."
you people squeal about instant buy in, its pinball talk for "I cant control myself" look at Haggis Fathom, yet the buyer wants to put their money instantly and gets burned but you people cant learn a few things, the people on this forum like to put up a good talking but yet went comes to actually putting your money where your mouth is, you people cave, because, theme.
Go to the stern thread and most of the time its about what is "Popular" newsflash just because an IP is "Popular" does not translate to pinball. you would think that every stern release would grow the hobby.

And bbq translates to pinball?

#1108 17 days ago

On the list of desirable themes that can potentially sell some games Hotrod BBQ would be a close 3rd after Bands and Movies.

#1109 17 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

And bbq translates to pinball?

There is a BBQ thread on Pinside.

LTG : )

#1110 17 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

There is a BBQ thread on Pinside.

This bit I don’t get: the hate on the theme itself. It’s BBQ? What man DOESNT like to bbq? Who doesn’t like eating it? It’s delish.
So why not a game about?

I mean, pinball WAS fun to us all when you’re picking up Gorbie. Or running red lights to get away.

Theme isn’t as horrible as you all make it sound. Gameplay? That may be another debate.

#1111 17 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

That’s ok. You don’t have to.

#1112 17 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

The only person talking about “band and movie pins” is you. The rest of us are talking about our experiences playing BBQ and how awful it is.

#1113 17 days ago

There's two sides to this, there's people that love original themes, and appreciate what American Pinball is trying even if they fail in key areas(the lcd and callouts are the big failings, and kind of falls to them being a small team that thinks they are cool drunk guys with a great sense of humor but more veer into the lame drunk guys category with cringe worthy senses of humor).

Then there's the business side, where people see where American Pinball are making mistakes and aren't actually saying they should die and go away, but are more suggesting they might die and go away if changes aren't made.

Their biggest plus is they absolutely can make fun playing games, they can produce and ship the games. One huge failing that is hard for them to recover from is their inability to market their games properly, the second is the embarrassing stuff on the LCD, and finally the lack of a license which is especially troubling since if they actually got a license it would help them in both the marketing and LCD departments.

#1114 17 days ago

I guess this is why they attempted the live action stuff with GTF, cause they lack the talent for making decent animation and interface stuff. It's strange as other companies seem to just keep getting better with time at this stuff, they almost seem to be going backwards.... almost. I know Oktoberfest and Houdini were not amazing but these last few games it feels like stuffs gotten even cheaper looking.

What looks like flash animations from 20 years ago is not really gonna do you any favors

#1117 16 days ago

If I had $1 for every time Umad confuses "Their" and "they're" and "Your" and "You're" I'd have like...400 bucks.

Fucking up "Their" and "there" is certainly a new one. That's gotta be worth five bucks.

#1118 16 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If I had $1 for every time Umad confuses "Their" and "they're" and "Your" and "You're" I'd have like...400 bucks.
Fucking up "Their" and "there" is certainly a new one. That's gotta be worth five bucks.

Translation: he can't come up with any meaningful retort.

#1119 16 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Translation: he can't come up with any meaningful retort.

Here is a meaningful one then...

I will gladly give B.O. BBQ C. a fair shake when the piss stops dripping from the tip...

How's that for a retort?

#1120 16 days ago

#1121 15 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

Hey, just wondering “Kaneda,”how many fake accounts do you have on Pinside?

IMG_5230.jpegIMG_5230.jpeg
#1122 15 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I guess this is why they attempted the live action stuff with GTF, cause they lack the talent for making decent animation and interface stuff. It's strange as other companies seem to just keep getting better with time at this stuff, they almost seem to be going backwards.... almost. I know Oktoberfest and Houdini were not amazing but these last few games it feels like stuffs gotten even cheaper looking.
What looks like flash animations from 20 years ago is not really gonna do you any favors

Houdini is the goat bruv. Don’t sleep on it!

#1123 14 days ago

Interesting, none of the 6 locations to play this game in the US is known for BBQ? Ok Georgia, but it's on the coast below Savanna which is seafood. I guess Louisville KY since it's known for Burgoo which the jury is out?
Where's Texas?
Where's Tennessee?
KC?
SC?
NC?
SmartSelect_20240501_081847_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20240501_081847_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg

#1124 14 days ago

Give it time. AP is calling up BBQ restaurants across the country. I'm not even entirely joking.

#1125 14 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Interesting, none of the 6 locations to play this game in the US is known for BBQ? Ok Georgia, but it's on the coast below Savanna which is seafood. I guess Louisville KY since it's known for Burgoo which the jury is out?
Where's Texas?
Where's Tennessee?
KC?
SC?
NC?
[quoted image]

The one in Louisville is at a brewery where a local pinhead has a handful of machines.

Burgoo, that's a first for me. To be fair, I've only lived in KY for 5 years. I guess that kinda makes me a local, lol.

#1126 14 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Give it time. AP is calling up BBQ restaurants across the country. I'm not even entirely joking.

They are looking for places to “house” bbq pinball machines !

#1127 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Gotta put unsold games somewhere ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#1128 14 days ago

Didn't it launch in more locations than this? Were those temporary promotional loaners?

#1129 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

AMERICAN PINBALL MARKETING

With Summer quickly approaching we want to take advantage of the time of the year to promote and sell American Pinball's new game BBQ. We should have some new assets to post on your website soon, as we are constantly looking for new material.

What we would like you to do is forward us any information regarding BBQ Restaurants in your area that possibly could house a BBQ Pinball Game. Our Marketing and Sales Team can help reach out to these establishments to help add sales to your business.

With BBQ still less than 2 months on the Market, we want to push and drive the sales for this game to the highest level they can be. So, send me your Local BBQ Joints information and let's get these BBQ Pinball Games all over your town.

As always if you have any questions please don't hesitate to as

Have a wonderful day.

AP sent this e-mail out to distros a week or so back and I am confused. What does "house" a BBQ game mean? Is AP just letting BBQ joints have machines on loan, or are they suggesting that distros put one on location at BBQ joints to help drum up sales, or is he simply just asking distros to approach bbq places about purchasing a game?

If AP is willing to put games at BBQ restaurants, theres a new one that opened up locally to me. I'd go there and get bbq sauce crammed into the flipper buttons every once in a while. If its anything other than that...good luck.

#1130 14 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

With Summer quickly approaching we want to take advantage of the time of the year to promote and sell American Pinball's new game BBQ. We should have some new assets to post on your website soon, as we are constantly looking for new material.
What we would like you to do is forward us any information regarding BBQ Restaurants in your area that possibly could house a BBQ Pinball Game. Our Marketing and Sales Team can help reach out to these establishments to help add sales to your business.
With BBQ still less than 2 months on the Market, we want to push and drive the sales for this game to the highest level they can be. So, send me your Local BBQ Joints information and let's get these BBQ Pinball Games all over your town.
As always if you have any questions please don't hesitate to as
Have a wonderful day.
AP sent this e-mail out to distros a week or so back and I am confused. What does "house" a BBQ game mean? Is AP just letting BBQ joints have machines on loan, or are they suggesting that distros put one on location at BBQ joints to help drum up sales, or is he simply just asking distros to approach bbq places about purchasing a game?
If AP is willing to put games at BBQ restaurants, theres a new one that opened up locally to me. I'd go there and get bbq sauce crammed into the flipper buttons every once in a while. If its anything other than that...good luck.

The double-shot of GTF and BBQ shows AP has no business building and marketing pinball machines.

I'm starting to believe what we've all heard; that AP is a huge money-loser and only exists to keep some billionaire's kid busy.

#1131 14 days ago

If only there was some kind of system or data repository where AP could find BBQ joints located near their distributors, complete with restaurant ratings, photos, and contact information.

#1132 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The double-shot of GTF and BBQ shows AP has no business building and marketing pinball machines.
I'm starting to believe what we've all heard; that AP is a huge money-loser and only exists to keep some billionaire's kid busy.

to me it reads like they are asking the distros to provide them with BBQ restaurant contact info, and then AP will call them up and try to convince them to buy a Barry O's BBQ pinball machine. Clearly, this is a foolproof sales tactic that will send orders through the roof!

#1133 14 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Marketing and Sales Team can help reach out to these establishments to help add sales to your business.
With BBQ still less than 2 months on the Market, we want to push and drive the sales for this game to the highest level they can be. .

I am pretty sure they have already achieved peak sales for this title and it is all downhill from here.

Can you imagine what it would be like for some random BBQ restaurant employee to answer the phone, thinking it would be someone placing an order, and instead hearing Fix or one of his sales minions trying to pitch them on housing a pinball machine at their location? Just boggles the mind....

#1134 14 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

If only there was some kind of system or data repository where AP could find BBQ joints located near their distributors, complete with restaurant ratings, photos, and contact information.

This is what happens when the Yellow Pages die dude.

#1135 14 days ago

What is the source of that bonkers text? How much would they pay for a scraper that gets them all that info at once?

Mentioned on some podcast was a flipn awesome pinspot or some such other horribly-named Stern Army knockoff concept and also a promotion for businesses to save $400 on older AP machines if they put them on location. So they're definitely trying to increase sales. But the execution. Woof.

#1136 14 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I am pretty sure they have already achieved peak sales for this title and it is all downhill from here.
Can you imagine what it would be like for some random BBQ restaurant employee to answer the phone, thinking it would be someone placing an order, and instead hearing Fix or one of his sales minions trying to pitch them on housing a pinball machine at their location? Just boggles the mind....

Even if they manage to keep Bubba Joe on the line, they’ll hit the same snag: “Who the F is Barry O.?!” *click*

#1137 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

only exists to keep some billionaire's kid busy.

Wrong company.

#1138 14 days ago

Why limit yourself to selling BBQ, they probably sell ice cream, GTF, people get there in cars, Hot Wheels, they sell beer, Oktoberfest and they'll probably never escape the financial burden this purchase puts them in, Houdini.

#1139 14 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

So, send me your Local BBQ Joints information and let's get these BBQ Pinball Games all over your town.

92CF2D1C-E81D-4BD0-9590-0FAB380C2743 (resized).jpeg92CF2D1C-E81D-4BD0-9590-0FAB380C2743 (resized).jpeg
#1140 14 days ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Why limit yourself to selling BBQ, they probably sell ice cream, GTF, people get there in cars, Hot Wheels, they sell beer, Oktoberfest

Y'know, I never thought of it this way but they truly are AMERICAN pinball: beer, cars, ice cream, tanks, barbecue.

#1141 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ugh, the flipper buttons are gonna be sticky af. Part of the experience I guess. Bites between balls!

#1142 14 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even if they manage to keep Bubba Joe on the line, they’ll hit the same snag: “Who the F is Barry O.?!” *click*

Pinball machine???

#1143 14 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Pinball machine???

"They still make those?"

#1144 14 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wrong company.

I'm going with tax write off or some real world testing operation for Aimtron's electronics.

#1145 13 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

What is the source of that bonkers text? How much would they pay for a scraper that gets them all that info at once?
Mentioned on some podcast was a flipn awesome pinspot or some such other horribly-named Stern Army knockoff concept and also a promotion for businesses to save $400 on older AP machines if they put them on location. So they're definitely trying to increase sales. But the execution. Woof.

It was an e-mail sent to distributors from AP from what I understand.

Come on man, distros are going to make bank by searching google for "bbq restaurants near me" and then forwarding that information to AP, then AP will call them up and convince them to buy a BBQ pinball machine from said distributor. Its a win win win win! AP gets a sale, distro gets a sale, BBQ restaurant makes a ton of extra income off their $7000 pinball machine, and patrons will get to get the buttons all sticky while having a great time!

#1146 13 days ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Houdini is the goat bruv. Don’t sleep on it!

I think they were making good games, I just am talking about presentation being lacking. Oktoberfest, Houdini, Hot Wheels, all solid games, but yea they are behind everyone in presentation on the screen.

#1147 13 days ago

I think they were making good games, I just am talking about presentation being lacking. Oktoberfest, Houdini, Hot Wheels, all solid games, but yea they are behind everyone in presentation on the screen.

Get the bugs out of the code and GTF is a great fun game as well - IMO anyway .

#1148 13 days ago

Cary nailed it!

#1149 13 days ago

Oktoberfest, Houdini, Hot Wheels, all solid games, but yea they are behind everyone in presentation on the screen.

I thought Hot Wheels had excellent display work. Existing show clips were fun. Overall typography/design style and custom game-specific animations were miles beyond Oktoberfest's clusterfcuk of CD-ROM menu screens.

Didn't love how HW shot and never quite understood the scoring, but it was a clear step up from Houdini & Oktoberfest in all departments, for my money.

#1150 13 days ago

I mean, sales is always a numbers game, so most people saying no shouldn't be a gigantic shocker.

It's just funny that they didn't already look up what BBQ restaurants they could sell to before they ever committed to this idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,495.00
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.