(Topic ID: 325647)

Best pinball dolly?

By RDReynolds

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Escalera Tilt and Truck (resized).png
    22DDAA53-B3A6-4829-9CD0-CA50A1CD97EF (resized).jpeg
    1970D837-F384-4F5F-BB2D-39EC2C9D9F78 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    7A53E080-D9D5-414E-8DBA-37473F95C78A (resized).png
    serialnumber (resized).jpg
    pindolly (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Have decided my back needs saving so looking for a really good pinball dolly to move things around our hard floor arcade. What are the best ones out there? Links appreciated!

#3 1 year ago

Thanks but hoping to find something ready to go and not requiring rebuilding.

#4 1 year ago

Second what forceflow recommend.

Quoted from RDReynolds:

Worth the work, sometimes life isn't always easy.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

It really doesn't take much effort.

Some modifications literally take less than 2 minutes. Others are more polished and take a bit longer.

That whole thread is dedicated to all the various modifications people have done. A whole library to choose from to suit your needs.

#6 1 year ago

Yes most guys here got that cart and made some modifications some less and some more but after its done it always will be worth what ever u put in too it ,I had my for many years and everytime I use it I am so clad I did it saves your back every time over and over

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Have decided my back needs saving so looking for a really good pinball dolly to move things around our hard floor arcade. What are the best ones out there? Links appreciated!

Original Wico arcade dolly for pins from the 70s. You can still find them around, though you might have to have the hydraulics rebuilt. I had two of them, and one was a better model than the other so I sold the spare I didn't like as much (mostly because it's more boxy with square edges all over that the newer model refined into more rounded edges) like 10 years ago. Had a hard time moving it for $150. Now original ones go for multiples of that, even in rough shape.

Keep looking. If you can score one, they're much better than the harbor freight project lifts. I'm honestly kind of surprised no one has remade these (well, the one I kept I like better). They'd probably be like $800 retail, though. Maybe pinmonk pinball lifts someday...

Twisted Quarter has a more boxy one for $399, but they're OOS right now:
    https://twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82_246&products_id=1315

Other places seem to have it for about $50 more.

This is the perfectly fine one I sold that I just liked less than the Wico different model I kept:
    pindolly (resized).jpgpindolly (resized).jpgserialnumber (resized).jpgserialnumber (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

I believe The newer harbor freight 1000 lbs doesn’t require rebuilding. The handles can lower flat in either direction. Check it out.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Original Wico arcade dolly for pins from the 70s.

Those take a bit of effort to stomp on to lift the pin. That's probably not the best option for someone with back issues.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those take a bit of effort to stomp on to lift the pin. That's probably not the best option for someone with back issues.

Depends on the kind of back issues, but yeah, that could be a consideration you don't have with the "pump, pump, pump it up" Harbor Freight project ones.

#11 1 year ago

I like this one if anyone has one for sale let me know. https://user.xmission.com/~daina/client_ads/pinball_cart.html

7A53E080-D9D5-414E-8DBA-37473F95C78A (resized).png7A53E080-D9D5-414E-8DBA-37473F95C78A (resized).png
    #12 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Depends on the kind of back issues, but yeah, that could be a consideration you don't have with the "pump, pump, pump it up" Harbor Freight project ones.

I have a stock HF unit, it really doesn't REQUIRE mods to move pins around.

I have moved hundreds about at this point.

#13 1 year ago

We have the Harbor Freight that I modified and the Wico style. The Wico is collecting dust.

#14 1 year ago

I bought and modified the Harbor Freight one. Didn’t take that long to modify (added hinges to handle base), and it’s been great! It also stores easily under a pin.

#15 1 year ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 1 year ago

Escalera with forklift attachment
    best of the best

#17 1 year ago

I like my HF. If you don't bolt in the handle you can remove it to fit under the pin. The price is great for what you get. I wish it were lighter and the wheels larger (as they catch on door sills) but all in all a great lift for the price.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

I believe The newer harbor freight 1000 lbs doesn’t require rebuilding. The handles can lower flat in either direction. Check it out.

Referring to this one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60438.html?_br_psugg_q=hydraulic+table+cart

#19 1 year ago

The HF 500 lb table is heavy.

Here’s my mod on it.1970D837-F384-4F5F-BB2D-39EC2C9D9F78 (resized).jpeg1970D837-F384-4F5F-BB2D-39EC2C9D9F78 (resized).jpeg

22DDAA53-B3A6-4829-9CD0-CA50A1CD97EF (resized).jpeg22DDAA53-B3A6-4829-9CD0-CA50A1CD97EF (resized).jpeg
    #20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

We have the Harbor Freight that I modified and the Wico style. The Wico is collecting dust.

I second this post. The Harbor Freight for the win.

#21 1 year ago

Instead of a one choice "which is best" like we do for so many other threads (which bulbs are best for an EM?), maybe we call out the pros/cons of each choice. The Escalera is very nice, but also expensive and large (harder to store?). I have the larger HF lift and it has a longer table for good stability under a machine, lifts up higher than the smaller lift table, and doesn't require a mod. But it's also more expensive, VERY heavy to transport in a vehicle, and sometimes a tight fit under some machines or doesn't fit at all (rarely). The smaller HF lift needs a handle mod and has a smaller table. I don't think it lifts up as high as the larger one. But it's cheaper and can be lifted into a vehicle for travel pretty easy, and it fits under machines easier than the larger one.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

The smaller HF lift needs a handle mod and has a smaller table. I don't think it lifts up as high as the larger one. But it's cheaper and can be lifted into a vehicle for travel pretty easy, and it fits under machines easier than the larger one.

It does NOT need the handle mod. It does make it more convenient but not necessary. Moved hundreds of pins with mine. Have a Wico as well and the HF unit is so much better all around.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It does NOT need the handle mod. It does make it more convenient but not necessary. Moved hundreds of pins with mine. Have a Wico as well and the HF unit is so much better all around.

If you push the cart without a handle mod under a game, it goes under until the handle reaches the coin door. If you lift it with the head still up does the game stay balanced?

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

If you push the cart without a handle mod under a game, it goes under until the handle reaches the coin door. If you lift it with the head still up does the game stay balanced?

No--most of the game's weight is at the rear of the game because of the backbox.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Instead of a one choice "which is best" like we do for so many other threads (which bulbs are best for an EM?), maybe we call out the pros/cons of each choice. The Escalera is very nice, but also expensive and large (harder to store?). I have the larger HF lift and it has a longer table for good stability under a machine, lifts up higher than the smaller lift table, and doesn't require a mod. But it's also more expensive, VERY heavy to transport in a vehicle, and sometimes a tight fit under some machines or doesn't fit at all (rarely). The smaller HF lift needs a handle mod and has a smaller table. I don't think it lifts up as high as the larger one. But it's cheaper and can be lifted into a vehicle for travel pretty easy, and it fits under machines easier than the larger one.

The larger HF one, is that the 1,000 pound version I have listed a few posts up?

Also I think your idea of pros and cons is great. I was looking at other options like pinball skates, for instance but was concerned they may scratch up our hardwood floors. What other options are out there?

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from Boise_D:

Nope, you have to exert some counterbalance on the lockbar, which can vary by game of course.

Usally I'll pull out and then move from side or back as needed.

#27 1 year ago

That has been my experience too, which is why a lot of people modify the handle. I had a friend who also build a wooden platform for the lift to raise it up even higher and favor the backbox side even more. It's a great choice, but there are pros/cons to all of these lift options.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

I was looking at other options like pinball skates

I found those kind of a pain to use, especially if you can't access the rear of the game.

Quoted from RDReynolds:

What other options are out there?

Furniture sliders. But then you have to lift up the game, and put the sliders underneath the feet. These usually work well for carpets, but not too well for hard floors.

3-wheel castor dolly under each leg. They will need some sort of friction padding, otherwise the feet will just slide off. Again, you'll need to lift the game up to get these under the legs.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Referring to this one?

Yes. I believe the handle can be adjusted from vertical to horizontal easily on the fly unlike older version. I don’t have one. But I had researched it last year. I saw a pic/video showing it up and down. Not at home now but I have it on my computer.

#30 1 year ago

For sliding games around on a hardwood floor, I've had great luck with the wooden furniture cups with felt underneath. Don't confuse those with the soft-sided ones though, which don't work as well. They also allow players to slide save easy, if that's your thing.
    I like these: ebay.com link: itm
    and avoid these: https://www.amazon.com/Felt-Pads-X-Protector-Protectors-Anti-Scratch/dp/B08YNSNNYJ/ref=asc_df_B08YNSNNYJ/

#31 1 year ago

Google “Harbor Freight 1000 lift table pinball” and go to videos. There is a YouTube one from “Marks Basement” which shows how it works. Have to find center of gravity. Thanks Mark!

10 months later
    #32 7 months ago

Has anyone used these? Listed on amazon... Tired of putting furniture slides under my machines to move.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Hydraulic-Capacity-Non-Slip-Material/dp/B0CC998DZS/ref=sr_1_7_sspa

#33 7 months ago

Have you seen this new product from Escalera?

Escalera Tilt and Truck (resized).pngEscalera Tilt and Truck (resized).png
    #34 7 months ago

NOT the Blue Harbor Freight dollys.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #35 7 months ago

OMG!!

6 months later
    #36 44 days ago

For either of the HF dollies (I'm looking at the 1000 lb one), is there enough surface area to get a solid purchase on the game? The Wicos look to have a lot more contact points.

#37 39 days ago

I fitted 2x 4s with blocks so they carry the cabinet without shifting. HF 500 lb cart

IMG_1268 (resized).jpegIMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    #38 39 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

NOT the Blue Harbor Freight dollys.[quoted image]

Poor Fishtales lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-dolly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.