Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4088 (resized).JPG
#1 31 days ago

Wonder if we could get enough people interested for Wade to do Cleopatra playfield I’m thinking 30 orders would work…..who’s in for one?

#2 31 days ago

I'd consider one.

1 week later
#3 17 days ago

You can include the SS version of Cleopatra (7,300 units produced) in your campaign because its playfield is identical to the EM version. It might be the only Gottlieb transitional title that didn’t have different playfields.

#4 17 days ago

How many comitted people does he need to make a run? At least 10?

I am a huge fan of the EM Cleo and it does play extremely fast and accurate with a level surface.

But the SS doesn't get much love so not sure how much interest those owners would have.

How much does he charge for a playfield?

#5 17 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

How many comitted people does he need to make a run? At least 10?
I am a huge fan of the EM Cleo and it does play extremely fast and accurate with a level surface.
But the SS doesn't get much love so not sure how much interest those owners would have.
How much does he charge for a playfield?

Did you sell yours or did you change your mind?

#6 17 days ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

Did you sell yours or did you change your mind?

After owning it for over a decade I finally let the Cleo go to someone in West Virginia. Only EM left now is the Rockmaker's for a restoration. I'll play it for a few months then likely let it go too. I love EM's but just got the urge for newer style games and now have two Data East.

The playfield issue is a big one for EM's, reproductions are not as common. So what's a guy to do? Retsore it yourself if you can.

If not, you live with what you have as the only other option is having someone restore the playfield for you.

A new playfield is typically around $900-$1000.

A ball park for a retoration and clear coat is in the $1,200 range and the guy doing it is not getting rich by any means.

And if you want a playfield restored, to keep costs down, it would need to be stripped by the owner prior to shipment to the guy restoring it.

But then you have more money in the pin than you'll ever get back out of it. To the collectors with the extra money that's not a big deal. But for the average guy it does not make financial sense.

Am I making any sense or just rambling?

#7 17 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

After owning it for over a decade I finally let the Cleo go to someone in West Virginia. Only EM left now is the Rockmaker's for a restoration. I'll play it for a few months then likely let it go too. I love EM's but just got the urge for newer style games and now have two Data East.
The playfield issue is a big one for EM's, reproductions are not as common. So what's a guy to do? Retsore it yourself if you can.
If not, you live with what you have as the only other option is having someone restore the playfield for you.
A new playfield is typically around $900-$1000.
A ball park for a retoration and clear coat is in the $1,200 range and the guy doing it is not getting rich by any means.
And if you want a playfield restored, to keep costs down, it would need to be stripped by the owner prior to shipment to the guy restoring it.
But then you have more money in the pin than you'll ever get back out of it. To the collectors with the extra money that's not a big deal. But for the average guy it does not make financial sense.
Am I making any sense or just rambling?

Makes sense to me. The investment has to be a personal one, since making money back restoring EMs is a losing proposition. One could repair, shop and flip, but that isn't the same as touch-ups, clear coat, a cabinet repaint and often a new backglass. That ends up being a fair amount of cash.

If you love the game enough, or love to tinker enough, it is worthwhile. I just finished working my way through a game that I knew I was selling and it was arduous. I just started working my way through a game that I know I am keeping and I am having a blast.

Cleopatra is a great game, so it is understandable that people would want to make the investment. My impression is that Wade has slowed or stopped his repro projects, so restore may be the best option for most.

#8 17 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Makes sense to me. The investment has to be a personal one, since making money back restoring EMs is a losing proposition. One could repair, shop and flip, but that isn't the same as touch-ups, clear coat, a cabinet repaint and often a new backglass. That ends up being a fair amount of cash.
If you love the game enough, or love to tinker enough, it is worthwhile. I just finished working my way through a game that I knew I was selling and it was arduous. I just started working my way through a game that I know I am keeping and I am having a blast.
Cleopatra is a great game, so it is understandable that people would want to make the investment. My impression is that Wade has slowed or stopped his repro projects, so restore may be the best option for most.

Glad you saw this post.

But what if a person doesn’t care about getting the cabinet restored or repainted. Most of the EM cabs have survived fairly well. Bally and Williams had serious issues in certain years are the exceptions.

What would the average guy be with pay for a playfield restoration and clear coat?

There are two options. Very hard and long lasting auto clear that is more intensive. The other being Varathane that’s easier and faster for HUO intent? Two price points.

#9 17 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Glad you saw this post.
But what if a person doesn’t care about getting the cabinet restored or repainted. Most of the EM cabs have survived fairly well. Bally and Williams had serious issues in certain years are the exceptions.
What would the average guy be with pay for a playfield restoration and clear coat?
There are two options. Very hard and long lasting auto clear that is more intensive. The other being Varathane that’s easier and faster for HUO intent? Two price points.

That's true. The Gottlieb cabs I've had have held up better than others.

There are a few variables for restore cost. Restore the art and 2PAC clear on a stripped playfield? In the $1.2k + shipping range depending on condition. Extra to rework damaged wood, glue inserts from beneath, strip and repopulate the backside as the owner desires. Unsure on a varathane approach. It looks like more work than 2PAC to me.

#10 17 days ago

For clarity, Varathane only for EM titles. Auto clear is the proper choice for SS era and later due to higher ball velocity and airball impacts.

For Varathane the paint pad approach worked really well, far superior to spraying it with rattle can Varathane.

I'm going to test it out of a spray gun and see how that goes. I did four playfield restoration in 2 years, the last two went much faster as you understand the massive shrink back Varathane has. There was a video in the 4MBC restoration. The rattle cans leave a massive amount of orange peel and not worth the time.

For me, the biggest time suck is trying to match the existing playfield colors and then using a brush correct it. The results are ok but very time consuming and not as efficient as a scanner, air brush and Cameo as seen on your restorations A_Bord.

A scanner, Cameo and Varathane would likely be the least time consuming.

#11 17 days ago

For new playfields, somebody has to produce new inserts, some of them haven't been available at PBR for years.

2PAC is tough as diamonds and CRYSTAL clear! Great for filling up to level the cupped inserts.

IMG_4088 (resized).JPGIMG_4088 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleopatra-pyramid-plainfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.