79 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by FatPanda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2017 (resized).jpeg
    #1 79 days ago

Hi,
    First off, thanks to all who have posted threads and vids regarding soldering.

I will be quite honest. I am not that sweet at soldering. Recently, my upper flipper stopped working on my Godzilla. Lifted the playfield and noticed that the yellow wire going to the flipper coil had somehow broken off.

Does this repair require de-soldering first with copper braid or the desoldering gun? And once clean, the wire can then be soldered on correct?

I guess my question is there is no way around doing a vertical soldering job i.e soldering with the playfield up and doing it semi-upside down, correct? I would just hate to drip all over the place. Or should I simply buy a new coil, so I can skip the de-soldering?

I watched many of the videos and all of them show the person sitting down in a comfortable chair at a large flat workbench, happily soldering away. OK, yes, I can do that. But with connections under a playfield, the art of soldering takes on a whole new dimension.

Thanks.
    IMG_2017 (resized).jpegIMG_2017 (resized).jpeg

#2 79 days ago

I have experienced the same hesitation that you’re referring to suppose most of us have. What I do is simply protect what might be under the area you’re soldering with a shop towel. Just carefully wrap it around the underside so that if anything does fall, and it may well, it falls onto the sacrificial surface and not onto anything critical that could be damaged.

Just take your time. As for desoldering first, it is not absolutely necessary.

Just go slow and be as careful as you can be. I’m sure you will be successful

#3 79 days ago

That looks like the lug snapped you could still resolder it you don't need to desolder anything first since it's a coil you will need lots of heat this is one area where a 100 watt gun is warranted.

#4 79 days ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I will be quite honest. I am not that sweet at soldering.

Get sweet. Get some scrap wire, lead solder. Sit at a bench or table and practice. Youtube has lots of short videos to help. Learn to heat a joint and flow the solder.

Quoted from slochar:

That looks like the lug snapped

Can be fixed. Not an easy task. Maybe get a new coil and start over fresh.

LTG : )

#5 79 days ago

The "hack" approach would be to cut off the lug at the wire and solder the wire directly to the remaining lug on the coil.

Soldering is easy peasy. What you need is an iron that gets hot enough. With a hot iron, it can be done in seconds.

Strip off the end of the wire, tin the wire (add solder to the wire), "tin" the lug (or what's left of it), then heat up the lug and the tinned wire at the same time. When both are hot, touch them together and finish it up with a touch of additional heat.

Can de done under the playfield.

#6 79 days ago

This is fairly common, so don't worry too much about it. The flipper coils get a lot of vibration and sometimes things break.

The secret to soldering is adding more solder. (It's actually about the flux in the solder getting to where everything can merge together), so the advice above where you use a towel below where any excess solder can drip is a very good idea.

If you use a soldering GUN, it is essential that the tip of the gun never had been used with acid cored plumber solder. Even though you are using rosin core electronics solder now, prior use of acid core solder is a bad idea for electronics.

Lots of good advice here, don't be too afraid. Soldering a wire back on to a coil is something that is done quite frequently by pinball owners.

#7 79 days ago

Thanks all for the advice!

#8 79 days ago

I got the wire soldered into the lug. It is far from pretty, but I got the flipper working.

So, initially there was a piece of 2cm plastic encasing the yellow/black upper flipper wire. A kind pinsider on the Godzilla forum said the plastic wrap is important and if I do not have it on this wire then I run the risk of causing serious electrical damage to the machine apparently.

Where do I get these little plastic fittings?

Thx

#9 78 days ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

said the plastic wrap is important and if I do not have it on this wire then I run the risk of causing serious electrical damage to the machine apparently.

Bullhockey. No guarantee it won't slide off once the wire is broken. Heat shrink tubing stays put.

If you want the tube, clear rubber tube. Hardware store, hobby shop, aquarium store, etc. etc.

LTG : )

#10 78 days ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I got the wire soldered into the lug. It is far from pretty, but I got the flipper working.
    So, initially there was a piece of 2cm plastic encasing the yellow/black upper flipper wire. A kind pinsider on the Godzilla forum said the plastic wrap is important and if I do not have it on this wire then I run the risk of causing serious electrical damage to the machine apparently.
    Where do I get these little plastic fittings?
    Thx

It's meant to insulate the lug from accidentally shorting out on anything else. You should be fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flipper-coil-wire-soldering-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.