Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by Nikrox2
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Risers_04 (resized).jpg
    62691756318__61788814-1127-46F3-8111-AD750BF1F9E9 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    20_min._polish_(resized).jpg
    image-15_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    #1 14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knows where you can buy gold colored or custom colored pinballs to replace the stock chrome ones. I found one place that had them but they are sold out.

#2 14 years ago

You might find this article interesting. I shows the wear on certain gold balls.

http://www.thekorn.net/gold/index.php

I'll look around. I have a brass one that was custom made for me. It's not the same weight but it's not coated and has held up very well. I don't leave it in the machine all the time. It does make play very different which I like in the simpler machine.

Even though they don't show them on their webpage you might contact them at pinballlife and see if they can locate some for you.

3 years later
    #3 10 years ago

I know this is an old post. But seems they have new balls now that wont rub off.
    As well, black pearl ones.

GOLD: ebay.com link: Three Bling Golden Pinballs Goldenball Gold

BLACK PEARL: ebay.com link: Three Black Pearl Pinballs Back Alley Creations

2 years later
    #4 8 years ago

I made a real gold covered pinball, it sitting next to a copper coated one for reference. I need to see how it holds up.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#5 8 years ago

Hmmm? Interesting. See how they wear long term. Could be cool if they don't dull

#6 8 years ago

Try backalleycreations or pinball decals.com. They both have some.

#7 8 years ago

I would think you'd just want to use them for a captive ball. I don't think they would hold up well in rotation.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Hmmm? Interesting. See how they wear long term. Could be cool if they don't dull

I started out with the brand new ball from Marcos Specialties. I will put them in GOT and give it a go. As they stand today, they would be good as a captive ball.

#9 8 years ago

Whatever the gold balls were made of in the game Gold Ball, they have stayed gold for 30+ years

image-15_(resized).jpgimage-15_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

i have some black pearl pinball but have used them for anything yet

#11 8 years ago

Based on the process used, I think I will be able to gold plate metal pieces for game. Nothing too large. Anyone with ideas or needs?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

Based on the process used, I think I will be able to gold plate metal pieces for game. Nothing too large. Anyone with ideas or needs?

Gold plated ( polished brass ) cliffys.

#13 8 years ago

I believe they're made of bronze, the gold never wears off. I get them from Motion Industries but they need to be polished.

Steve

Quoted from vid1900:

Whatever the gold balls were made of in the game Gold Ball, they have stayed gold for 30+ years

20_min._polish_(resized).jpg20_min._polish_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #14 8 years ago

Looks like the gold ball testing has gone well. I am bringing some to Texas.

#15 8 years ago

Ready for play testing in TPF

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

5 months later
    #16 7 years ago

I can brass or gold plate pinballs. They are not going to hold up on a machine with daily plays, but if you have something you only play 20-50 times per year or just for parties would be good.

#17 7 years ago

I do PVD coatings at work and I've been thinking of trying to do some pinballs in TiN (titanium nitride). Its a bright gold color and in a pinball application would never wear off. The problem is trying to securely fixture the ball in the coating machine, and then being able to coat it again on the bare part where it sat on the fixture the first time without leaving a noticeable marking. I might just bring in a ball or two and give it a try one of these days.

4 years later
    #18 3 years ago

Aloha,

New Owner of a GOT LE and looking for options on gold balls to fit the theme. I also have gold mirror blades.

I will check a few places mentioned above.

Thanks.

1 week later
    #19 3 years ago

Found some amazing brand new tech gold balls.

BackAlleyMatt

https://backalleycreations.com/

These are incredible and so worth it. I am sure they would work in many machines.

62691756318__61788814-1127-46F3-8111-AD750BF1F9E9 (resized).jpg62691756318__61788814-1127-46F3-8111-AD750BF1F9E9 (resized).jpg
    #20 3 years ago

Watch out for gold flaking off all over your playfield!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Watch out for gold flaking off all over your playfield!

Sounds like that’s not a problem with these ones, at least according to back alley.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Sounds like that’s not a problem with these ones, at least according to back alley.

Yeah thats why I spent the money....they look well made.

2 weeks later
    #23 3 years ago

Update, balls are magnificent and no issues. They sure look great with the gold mirror blades.

2 years later
    #24 8 months ago

waking up this thread... If you are not aware, Marco stopped selling the gold pinballs. This leaves only backalley that I am aware of although I know some previous replies in this thread had some others who could make them.

Trying to read the pulse of
    (1) How did the durability end up lasting
    (2) What is the recommended product today?

A good amount of Godfather CE owers would like to use gold and I am one of them.
    Thanks all

https://backalleycreations.com/products/gold-pinball

#25 8 months ago

Ouch! $15 for a single pinball? I guess if you've gotta have them, then like so many other things in pinball, so be it.

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ouch! $15 for a single pinball? I guess if you've gotta have them, then like so many other things in pinball, so be it.

a "deal" compared to Marco's $18.49 each lol

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from Laithan:

w... Trying to read the pulse of
    (1) How did the durability end up lasting
    (2) What is the recommended product today?

I swapped out one of the regular silver ones in my JJP POTC with a gold one (to add some variety) from Back Alley a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it.

#28 8 months ago

I would think that you could have new pinballs coated using a PVD process (physical vapor deposition):

"PVD (physical vapor deposition) coating, also known as thin-film coating, is a process in which a solid material is vaporized in a vacuum and deposited onto the surface of a part. These coatings are not simply metal layers though. Instead, compound materials are deposited atom by atom, forming a thin, bonded, metal or metal-ceramic surface layer that greatly improves the appearance, durability, and/or function of a part or product."

When I rebuilt my old Harley Springer, I had chrome handle bar risers changed to gold using PVD and they came out spectacular. And with the PVD process, there are many colors available. Imagine green, red, or blue pinballs?

It shouldn't be too difficult to find a place online that does PVD coating.

Risers_04 (resized).jpgRisers_04 (resized).jpg
    #29 8 months ago
    Quoted from Laithan:

... Marco stopped selling the gold pinballs. This leaves only backalley that I am aware of ...
    https://backalleycreations.com/products/gold-pinball

"SOLD OUT"

#31 8 months ago

This thread has inspired me to update my Pinside avatar for the first time in the 7 years I've been here.

2 weeks later
    #32 7 months ago

Been out of stock everywhere.. and I was told they are not making them at this time.

4 months later
    #33 85 days ago

I want 5 golden colored balls for my JJP Hobbit machine so bad! JJP really missed an opportunity there given the theme of the machine lol. I found this, but of course it's also out of stock: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-TG

#34 85 days ago
    Quoted from jake_nerdnest:

I want 5 golden colored balls for my JJP Hobbit machine so bad! JJP really missed an opportunity there given the theme of the machine lol. I found this, but of course it's also out of stock: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-TG

Check PinballPlating.com and see if they would do some for you. They do custom work.

#35 85 days ago
    Quoted from jake_nerdnest:

You may want to rethink this as will all the multiball the gold plating comes off! Ask me how I know !

#36 85 days ago
    Quoted from freddy:

You may want to rethink this as will all the multiball the gold plating comes off! Ask me how I know !

Yup, confirmed. Although I haven't personally experienced this, I was pretty much told they don't make them anymore for this reason. I REALLY wanted them for my GF CE so I followed every lead I could and this is what I learned through my journey.

#37 85 days ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Quoted from Laithan:

Yup, confirmed. Although I haven't personally experienced this, I was pretty much told they don't make them anymore for this reason. I REALLY wanted them for my GF CE so I followed every lead I could and this is what I learned through my journey.

I need two for captive balls on TOTAN.

#38 85 days ago
    Quoted from Laithan:

The gold balls I bought from Back Alley have been in use for years in my Iron Man without any issues.

#39 85 days ago

Love the idea. We placed an “eye” ball in our Monster Bash and the kids love having it pop up in rotation

The “Gold” ball would work in so many games - whether just one to come up in random or replace them all - not sure on that yet.

But for ToM, CC, maybe even TBL - I’m thinking one for rotation. (1 in MH too!)

For IMDN - it may look cool for all balls to be gold. Same as Rush - may give it a whole new look. Hmmm. Damn hobby!

#40 85 days ago

Balls that are PVD TiN coated I would not be worried about the coating flaking off. It doesn't work like that. However, its hard or impossible to get smooth even coverage around the entire ball. Any other type of plating I would be weary of. Theres a reason you don't see these too often, and when you do they are very expensive. Trust me, if there was a viable way to do it, I'd be doing it here at work and making a killing.

#41 85 days ago

I don't know about gold pinballs but the black pearls play much faster than any others that I've tried.

#42 85 days ago

I wonder how much a solid gold pinball would actually cost. Not to play with of course but just put in the playfield of my Hobbit as part of Smaug’s treasures.

I’ll just have to remember there’s always money in the pinball machine should I choose to sell it…

#43 84 days ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

I wonder how much a solid gold pinball would actually cost. Not to play with of course but just put in the playfield of my Hobbit as part of Smaug’s treasures.
    I’ll just have to remember there’s always money in the pinball machine should I choose to sell it…

If I've done my math correctly, it would weigh around 200 grams. At the current spot price for gold, that is ~$13K.

#44 84 days ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

If I've done my math correctly, it would weigh around 200 grams. At the current spot price for gold, that is ~$13K.

Thanks. Need to come up with a more affordable Plan B…

#45 84 days ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

lol, I watched a video the other day that calculated Smaugs worth, by estimating how much a mountain of gold would cost. The conclusion was that he would be the 15th richest American.

#46 84 days ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

It’s a better investment than most of the games in that price range. Not as fun to play with though

#47 84 days ago

Smaugs’ gold balls. Get a pair while they’re still hanging around

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-colored-pinballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.