Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg
IMG20230817200732 (resized).jpg
mematicMeme.gif
IMG_8375 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7184 (resized).jpeg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 months ago

Hey all. I’ve played it on location a few times. Initially thought it was a hot mess. However some pins I’ve come around on after time.

I find that many games I dislike on location play can shine in the home with the ability to play it at my own leisure.

I’d like to cut to the chase and ask people who have more experience with this pin.

A) layout
B) code
C) are the multiballs too easy to earn? If so would it make sense to adjust menu to calm them down somewhat?
D) fun

I already have a dozen Stern pins I love Stern formula you might say. But sometimes like to get a different pin just because it’s not a Stern formula.

Thanks for sharing your opinions good or bad.

#2 10 months ago

The biggest downside to The Godfather IMO is that the multiballs all feel rather similar. For the most part there's an animation playing in a quadrant on the screen for a multiball and that's it versus a lot of unique mode choreography. Once you start 2-4 multiballs at once everything is basically lit and you can't focus on anything.

I wish JJP would stop this crazy multiball stacking approach (or at least add an option to disable stacking) so that the modes can be enjoyed on their own. One main mode + one multiball would be nice to see (or again as a user option). If you start one of the games main story modes plus a few multiballs any sense of the story is long gone as there's simply too much going on IMO.

#3 10 months ago

I played it last week. I'm sure the the game is fun if you're willing to overlook the vibe and the theme of the game, but it did nothing for me.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The biggest downside to The Godfather IMO is that the multiballs all feel rather similar. For the most part there's an animation playing in a quadrant on the screen for a multiball and that's it versus a lot of unique mode choreography. Once you start 2-4 multiballs at once everything is basically lit and you can't focus on anything.
I wish JJP would stop this crazy multiball stacking approach (or at least add an option to disable stacking) so that the modes can be enjoyed on their own. One main mode + one multiball would be nice to see (or again as a user option). If you start one of the games main story modes plus a few multiballs any sense of the story is long gone as there's simply too much going on IMO.

I played it on location and felt like everything was flashing. I thought it was just because I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I’m not a fan of too much stacking either. On SW I set (no) stacking of modes.

#5 10 months ago

I own the game.

It feels like a great combination of Wonka and GnR.

Multi-balls are easy-ish to start, but using them to your advantage is where the challenge is.

Layout is a solid B. The orbits and ramps feel great and the diverters do a lot to mix it up. The hideout shot is really tough and can be frustrating with how many modes require it.

Code is about an A- for me. Really good depth and variety and it's one of the only games I know where you can start modes while in multi-balls. Using the weapons multipliers well takes a bit of practice but it's very rewarding. Scoring balance feels a bit biased towards multi-balls.

I traded in a TS4 towards this and GF is so much more fun for me. Everyone has different taste, but if you have a chance to explore the code on a machine that is leveled and clean, you should.

The music on GF is some of the best on any pin. I love plugging in nice headphones to really make it shine.

I also own Godzilla and I'm enjoying GF more. Again, it all depends on your own personal taste.

#6 10 months ago

I've only got to play it once on location in Florida and it seemed...odd.

I think it's one of those games that needs a little tinkering to get set up properly.

Played a few games. A made ramp shot, and a made orbit, would both result in SDTM.

I played a couple games where I couldn't get anything going. Then I played one game and got 6 multiballs in a row.

I'd love to get more time in on one if one pops up on location near me. So far no luck.

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

I own the game.
It feels like a great combination of Wonka and GnR.
Multi-balls are easy-ish to start, but using them to your advantage is where the challenge is.
Layout is a solid B. The orbits and ramps feel great and the diverters do a lot to mix it up. The hideout shot is really tough and can be frustrating with how many modes require it.
Code is about an A- for me. Really good depth and variety and it's one of the only games I know where you can start modes while in multi-balls. Using the weapons multipliers well takes a bit of practice but it's very rewarding. Scoring balance feels a bit biased towards multi-balls.
I traded in a TS4 towards this and GF is so much more fun for me. Everyone has different taste, but if you have a chance to explore the code on a machine that is leveled and clean, you should.
The music on GF is some of the best on any pin. I love plugging in nice headphones to really make it shine.
I also own Godzilla and I'm enjoying GF more. Again, it all depends on your own personal taste.

Funny you mention GNR. I played GNR next to GF... and that's exactly what I thought.

#8 10 months ago

I played a few games on it yesterday for the first time ..... not impressed. I don't want to poo-poo on the game with a small amount of games on it, but it didn't wow me at all. I did leave with a TS4 though LOL

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I played it on location and felt like everything was flashing. I thought it was just because I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I’m not a fan of too much stacking either. On SW I set (no) stacking of modes.

Yup, that's all JJP needs to do. Give operators and owners options for how modes are stacked. One main mode + 1 multiball is how I personally want to play most games.

#10 10 months ago

I gave it a couple test drives at the Milwaukee show. That was enough for me.

#11 10 months ago

Define good

#12 10 months ago

I like the game mainly because I'm a big Godfather fan. My only complaints are the long ball times due to too many multi balls.

#13 10 months ago

Played a few games on location. Never felt like I got in sync with games shots and lost interest.

#14 10 months ago

I played several games at TPF this year, and have to say that I really enjoyed it. Personally, I’m not a fan of the movies, but found the pin to be a great immersive experience. The layout seemed unique to me, the ball paths offer crazy variety, good balance of difficult and easy shots, overall seemed like good flow, and the art and lighting are quite pleasing to the eye. While the multi-balls can get a little crazy, I would still say this is my favorite JJP game to date.

Also, the experience feels significantly different than any of the Stern pins to me, so certainly would add variety to your lineup.

#15 10 months ago

My friend has it and I played it again two days ago. Takes a bit to learn what's going on, of course. There was a boxing/fight mode that made it really fun to nail the ramps over and over. Got close to 30 million in that mode. It's fun enough and the layout works, but it that enough at the high price point?

What stands out to me in an odd way are the callouts and the photos of the bosses you progress through. Get some real actors who look and dress the parts because those people look completely out of place and it is distracting.

It's also a little too Italian for me with the Italian flag colors running up and down the side rail lighting, the fountain, etc. But again, that's the theme and it doesn't work for me. Would've made more sense as a generic mobster/gangster theme if you can't go full Godfather assets.

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I played it on location and felt like everything was flashing. I thought it was just because I didn’t know what I didn’t know.

#17 10 months ago

At pinfest this year with little to no lines at opening for people who brought in games I got to try out all the latest releases with no line and this was what I chose to walk up to.

Queen: Played 1/2 a game and the flippers were messed up.
Godfather: Played 1 game. Didn't feel like it was anything special.
Galactic Tank Force: Played 2 games. I liked it more than I thought it would. It doesn't seem deep but its campy fun.
Pulp Fiction: Got 3 games in and would have done more if the line hadn't exploded.

I'd own a Pulp Fiction If I could.
I'd temp trade a Galactic Tank Force or a Godfather if I could, but would pick GTF first.
I'd take Queen if it was free.

Now... does that mean that Godfather is a good or a bad game? No... It seemed middle of the road to lower at first. But if there is even a question in my mind as to whether 12k Godfather is better than GTF is it worth the dough when other pins are available?

At 12k, would you rather have Indiana Jones The Pinball Adventure or Godfather?

#18 10 months ago

I have played 30+ games on Godfather. Probably 20 in an environment where I could really hear it and play uninterrupted repeatedly. I went in really open to playing it with the intention that I may pick one of the used ones in the marketplace up to add a JJP back to my collection.
It has the best flowing feel and strongest flippers of any JJP but past that I couldn’t get into it. Their audio packages haven’t been the same since David Thiel left, they all have these strange cues that remind me of a slot machine. I love the Godfather movie but it’s not captured in this game. No “moments “ or interesting sequences to speak of other than the ball save and Micheal runs to an exploding car.

I was at the Silverball Museum and played all of the classics and the 8 JJP’s ( they have no Sterns there). In my opinion only one replicated the old magic with a theme I enjoyed , so I decided to pickup a Pirates of the Caribbean because that was the pinnacle of what JJP was promised to be and they haven’t gotten near it since then.
IMG_8375 (resized).jpegIMG_8375 (resized).jpegIMG_7184 (resized).jpegIMG_7184 (resized).jpeg

#19 10 months ago

I’m getting lukewarm opinions.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

It's an excellent game. I think it will be a sleeper hit for JJP and won't attract the masses just due to the theme itself. Like most JJP games they mean something else altogether at home where you can listen and pay attention and spend time with the code. I've only played this game on location but was lucky enough that they had it turned up and positioned in a way that i could hear and isolate somewhat to understand what was going on. I'm very much looking forward to getting one at home to spend time with it. It I hadn't jumped on a CE spot I wouldn't be afraid to get an LE for 10k right now. It's a good time for Pinball...

#21 10 months ago

I own at Godfather LE. While I love the flow, the audio, the graphics and the beautiful design, I still find it hard to understand the rules other than triggering multiballs, most of which you can avoid if you're not interested.

My biggest problem (at least with my GFLE) is its substandard build quality. Right now, balls are routinely getting stuck on the left side of the left orbit because Coil 22 won't go down. Compound multiball isn't working because the drop-down gate next to where the balls get trapped no longer goes down. And now I'm getting warnings that "Lamp 8" is disconnected. I've owned three pins in the past (two bought new) and have never had as many technical issues as I've had with a pin I've owned for less than two months.

#22 10 months ago

I played it at Pinfest and think it was easily the best shooter of all the new releases. And recent memory releases for that matter. It has an interesting layout and the shots feel great to hit.

The game is also gorgeous. It’s Old Chicago for the new millennium. Sound and light package is first rate. Impressive even.

I wasn’t thrilled with the movie/theme integration. It seems very deep and interesting but it’s a big miss for Godfather movie nuts. I think I could get past that because for what the theme actually is, it might be very well done. Keith is no slouch when it comes to rules. I need to play it more to determine that.

Despite any reservations about theme, I think I’ll own this game one day. I want Pulp Fiction too, and I acknowledge that with its perfect theme integration, PF seems like the more satisfying all around package. But something about Godfather speaks to me. Maybe I just like under dogs.

I really look forward to playing it more.

#23 10 months ago

It's a non-Lawlor JJP game. Didn't seem any better or worse than Pirates or GnR. If those are your cup of tea, cool. I find them clunky, complicated and dull. To be fair they are also themes that don't resonate with me.

#24 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Like any game, it’s all about how it fits with you, not others. Read opinions about Houdini and most people crap all over it - but it’s one of my favorite titles in the last 5-6 years.

#25 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Like any game, it’s all about how it fits with you, not others. Read opinions about Houdini and most people crap all over it - but it’s one of my favorite titles in the last 5-6 years.

I understand but it’s an expensive pin and if most people don’t like it, it’ll be harder to sell down the road.

I don’t sell the pins I love but if I did want to it’s easier for me to sell Metallica or AFM or ST than DI simply because more people don’t like DI. It doesn’t matter if I think DI is better than xyz pin.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 10 months ago

I will play one when I see it on location, but my expectations are very low (and not just based on a lot of meh to negative comments here) I feel like JJP just can't figure out how to make their games fun. That "I gotta play one more game" feel just ins't there. They are gorgeous pins, no doubt, but fun factor is low on all their games IMO (and I've owned 2 moved them both and never miss either for a second) Seems like they peaked after WOZ (which was very innovative and fun to play, but an awful theme for most men at least) just my humble opinion. I hope I'll do a 180 on JJP pins one day, but not holding my breath. GNR was such a huge letdown for me (drummer and loved their music) but just couldn't get into it...wasn't fun.

#27 10 months ago

You should have a poll.

#28 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I understand but it’s an expensive pin and if most people don’t like it, it’ll be harder to sell down the road.
I don’t sell the pins I love but if I did want to it’s easier for me to sell Metallica or AFM or ST than DI simply because more people don’t like DI. It doesn’t matter if I think DI is better than xyz pin.

Life is too short. Buy what makes you happy. A few K this way or that is worth it

#29 10 months ago

This game is awesome!
I put in a dollar and pushed start - BOOM multiball!
Then I was surprised even further because while the balls were going crazy I hit the left flipper and started a stacked “pressed the flipper button” multiball, what a rush!
Then as I eventually drained all but one ball, just as I thought the first ball was over, the right outlane switch retriggered a “You drained Multiball”
Total riot!!!

#30 10 months ago

I have played one on location and like it a lot. I think a lot of guys are so used to the Stern feel and style of machine that they are quick to discount this one because if feels so different than a Stern machine.

Variety is the spice of life in Pinball.. the gameplay, code, and feel is different but that's a good thing to me.

#31 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Yeah but games people don't like now can become hot later.. Kiss, Munsters, etc., at one time you could barely give those games away, now they are super ridiculous in price. Imagine not getting a Kiss or Munsters when they were at closeout prices because you thought no one else liked them when you did.

I don't buy games based on what everyone else thinks, could care less. I buy what I like and want within reason (at todays prices) but don't think of pinball as an investment.

#32 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Variety is the spice of life in Pinball.. the gameplay, code, and feel is different but that's a good thing to me.

“Variety is the spice of life Multiball” is awarded if you get an extra ball during ball 3

#33 10 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

“Variety is the spice of life Multiball” is awarded if you get an extra ball during ball 3

I hated that in GnR when you’d hit a certain switch and it’d start throw the lights or make some noise Multiball. Then people come on and say you learn not to hit those switch if you don’t want Multiball.

How bout can I rather earn a Multiball?? On Dialed In there’s a Multiball called Quantum Theatre and I think I had the game 2 years before I got to see it.

I was watching a stream of GnR and swear to god 3 different multi balls were started in 30 seconds of the first ball.

#34 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I was watching a stream of GnR and swear to god 3 different multi balls were started in 30 seconds of the first ball.

Ha, Godfather stream MB on the first shot.
Literally.

#35 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I hated that in GnR when you’d hit a certain switch and it’d start throw the lights or make some noise Multiball. Then people come on and say you learn not to hit those switch if you don’t want Multiball.
How bout can I rather earn a Multiball?? On Dialed In there’s a Multiball called Quantum Theatre and I think I had the game 2 years before I got to see it.

This, 1000% this! There's a few of those "random" multiballs in GNR. Eventually you get a "Shoot Everything" one and then the game is a big mess IMO as everything is lit. "Just don't hit those switches to not start it"...ummm yeah you can't avoid the ball going down the inlanes.

#36 10 months ago

It would be interesting to hear an owner's perspective who has spent some time with this game in a home environment.

If I’m not mistaken, the difficulty of achieving multi-ball mode can be increased or decreased. (It seems to be the biggest complaint).

From what I've seen, the game looks and plays well. I believe it would be a solid addition for any Godfather fan or gangster movie fan.

My only concern at this point is, whether or not there is enough adult content, is there an adult mode available?

#37 10 months ago
Quoted from McDoom:

It would be interesting to hear an owner's perspective who has spent some time with this game in a home environment.
If I’m not mistaken, the difficulty of achieving multi-ball mode can be increased or decreased. (It seems to be the biggest complaint).

Godfather owner here, although I tease the game mostly due to the trend of multiball heavy codes from JJP, in all honesty the game is a fantastic addition to home environment line ups. The trick is (to your point) dialing it in with the game features adjustments. What I found is if you access the menu and going into SETTINGS here you’ll find that in nineteen ninety eight, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from McDoom:

From what I've seen, the game looks and plays well. I believe it would be a solid addition for any Godfather fan or gangster movie fan.
My only concern at this point is, whether or not there is enough adult content, is there an adult mode available?

The game has a ton of options in terms of callouts and settings including limiting the multiball somewhat. I am really enjoying mine and personally think it’s much more satisfying to shoot than GNR.
Also, yes there is an adult mode. It mainly has some “mature” clips and some swearing.

#39 10 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Godfather owner here, although I tease the game mostly due to the trend of multiball heavy codes from JJP, in all honesty the game is a fantastic addition to home environment line ups. The trick is (to your point) dialing it in with the game features adjustments. What I found is if you access the menu and going into SETTINGS here you’ll find that in nineteen ninety eight, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through an announcer's table.

mematicMeme.gifmematicMeme.gif
1 week later
#40 10 months ago

I'm a big fan. The first few times playing it were a touch confusing as to what I was doing, but it continued to get much better as you play it more and understand the rules (similar to many pins, of course). I've got about 40 plays on GF so far, and enjoy it more every time I play. I think that unlike the Stern Machines (which can be quicker to pick up), GF one will be best in home environment as the ruleset is REALLY deep and it has many different ways to play - great replay value. I predict it will have tremendous long term value and is the best JPP pin in my opinion. I also predict it rise in the Pinside rankings after it gets more exposure and plays. Lastly, I expect it get even better with code updates. It is brand spanking new, after all.

We ordered it to add something different to my all-Stern line-up. I expect mine to be delivered in the next few weeks.

#41 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've only got to play it once on location in Florida and it seemed...odd.
I think it's one of those games that needs a little tinkering to get set up properly.
Played a few games. A made ramp shot, and a made orbit, would both result in SDTM.

This was exactly my experience when I played it at a location in Western NY. Making these shots would result in an instant drain. Seemed like the only way to play was in multi-ball. I hope to play a version that is better set up in a home environment at some point.

#42 10 months ago
Quoted from rai:

Unless it’s Harry Potter, JJP pins are going to be very difficult resales at their current pricing.

#43 10 months ago

This is probably one of the most uninspired JJPs. It just falls flat. No big moments to speak of, everything is kinda just ho hum. After a while there was nothing in the game I really wanted to get to anymore. While the unique ball paths are cool, there is not much of anything in this game that is fun to shoot at. Overall a big disappointment for me.

1 month later
#44 9 months ago
Quoted from Vitty:

This is probably one of the most uninspired JJPs. It just falls flat. No big moments to speak of, everything is kinda just ho hum. After a while there was nothing in the game I really wanted to get to anymore. While the unique ball paths are cool, there is not much of anything in this game that is fun to shoot at. Overall a big disappointment for me.

A big part of that IMO is that the multiballs are rather lackluster. They lack moments and all come across as rather generic (especially once 2-4 are stacked) with a rather static logo of it running in a quadrant on the screen. I wish JJP would get away from that approach.

#45 9 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I will play one when I see it on location, but my expectations are very low (and not just based on a lot of meh to negative comments here) I feel like JJP just can't figure out how to make their games fun. That "I gotta play one more game" feel just ins't there. .

You've hit the nail right on the head. I've owned 4 jjps and have played a few more than that, and outside of Dialed In and Hobbit, this is exactly how I've feel about their games. I recognize they're high quality.... but dammit they're not usually super duper fun.

Seems, to me, the more games they make the more lifeless they have become. The rules have gotten just ever so cookie cutter and uninspired.

#46 9 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You've hit the nail right on the head. I've owned 4 jjps and have played a few more than that, and outside of Dialed In and Hobbit, this is exactly how I've feel about their games. I recognize they're high quality.... but dammit they're not usually super duper fun.
Seems, to me, the more games they make the more lifeless they have become. The rules have gotten just ever so cookie cutter and uninspired.

Hear me out here, this is where I think Toy Story 4 excels. It’s one of the best rulesets JJP has created and I say that as someone who has bought every JJP NIB except for Godfather.

Toy Story’s ruleset is fairly straight forward, there’s a challenging amount to do, and a final wizard mode with two different paths + multiple stages to attempt. There are no generic multiple multiballs in quadrants running like most of their games. You have these 7 clearly labeled objectives to complete on the playfield, and multiple multiballs including several that have a good amount of depth and strategy to them.

#47 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hear me out here, this is where I think Toy Story 4 excels. It’s one of the best rulesets JJP has created

I agree 100%. To me, TS4 plays like a DMD era Bally/Williams or an earlier modern Stern when it comes to rules and objectives. It has that standard feel to it while to others seem not very "pinballish". Godfather felt like playing a board game with a pinball.

#48 9 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hear me out here, this is where I think Toy Story 4 excels. It’s one of the best rulesets JJP has created and I say that as someone who has bought every JJP NIB except for Godfather.
Toy Story’s ruleset is fairly straight forward, there’s a challenging amount to do, and a final wizard mode with two different paths + multiple stages to attempt. There are no generic multiple multiballs in quadrants running like most of their games. You have these 7 clearly labeled objectives to complete on the playfield, and multiple multiballs including several that have a good amount of depth and strategy to them.

I haven't played ts4. I do wish to try it.

#49 9 months ago

I got my Godfather yesterday and I think it's fucken awesome .
If you're not into Keith Johnson's rules , maybe it's not for you but like any game , really play it before you decide .

IMG20230817200732 (resized).jpgIMG20230817200732 (resized).jpg

#50 9 months ago

It's not for me, several locations nearby with it and I opt to not play. Even at the one that has it on 3 for $2. I'll caveat this with the fact that I don't care for most JJP games. DI is probably the one I've had the most fun playing. Also, in my opinion, the JJP rainbow light show looks like an absolute joke with the rest of the package. Cringeworthy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,999.99
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Branson, MO
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newberg, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-godfather-any-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.