(Topic ID: 353967)

Need help with bridge rectifier voltage

By kguenther6

50 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240326_134358 (resized).jpg
    #1 50 days ago

I have an old Flying Ace arcade game that is having issues. I think it is because the bridge rectifier isn't putting out enough voltage. It is supposed to put out 24V DC but is only putting out 18V. I measured the input as 2.5 V AC. I must be doing something wrong as I don't think that would allow 18V DC to come out but I'm a rookie at this. The schematic doesn't show what the input voltage should be. Is there a way to tell what the input voltage should be? Is there a way to test the transformer to see if it is bad except to measure the voltage? Am I measuring wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

20240326_134358 (resized).jpg20240326_134358 (resized).jpg
    #2 50 days ago

I wonder if you are measuring AC voltage right ? Hot to common, not hot to ground.

Search Google for the formula to find out input AC what output DC will be.

LTG : )

#3 50 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if you are measuring AC voltage right ? Hot to common, not hot to ground.
    Search Google for the formula to find out input AC what output DC will be.

To measure the AC I measured the 2 AC lugs on the bridge rectifier. I also swapped the leads and got the same result. Is that the wrong way to do it?

#4 50 days ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

To measure the AC I measured the 2 AC lugs on the bridge rectifier. I also swapped the leads and got the same result. Is that the wrong way to do it?

That should work.

#5 50 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That should work.

So I'm assuming the transformer is bad. Any way to find out what the output should be so I can search for a replacement? Or could it be repaired by someone that doesn't know what the voltage should be?

#6 50 days ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Any way to find out what the output should be

Manual or schematic might tell you that.

#7 50 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Manual or schematic might tell you that.

Manual doesn't say. Picture of the schematic with the bridge rectifier is on the 1st post. Nothing to indicate the voltage.

#8 50 days ago

Looks like a 24v center tapped since there's 12v in the center which is labeled wrong in the schematic as 12v dc should be vac based on what's shown

Basically it's a door bell transformer but might have higher current requirements.

#9 50 days ago

Would it work if I removed the DC wires from the bridge rectifier and hooked them to the output of this? It says the output is 24V DC at 6.25 A.

https://www.amazon.com/LLTOP-24V-Waterproof-Transformer-Converter/dp/B0BV9B8Y9R/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa

#10 50 days ago

I got it resolved. I cleaned off the terminals on the transformer and now I am getting 24v DC out of the bridge rectifier and 35v ac as input. Thanks all for the help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-bridge-rectifier-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.