You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled1 (resized).jpg
Untitled3 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).jpg
#1 17 days ago

I have a magnet issues, Am thinking i have too many of the wrong one. I have 3 x 20-10197 ( all measuring 4.8 ) that was installed.
It was catching on the first magnet but always putting it down the left ramp, and hardly ever putting it to the center/right magnet to go up to the jump.

The other 2 ( 20-10197-1 & 20-10197-2 ) there are from when the ramp got melted and seem to be well fried so i replaced them with the 20-10197 ones.
Does this mean for the center magnet and right magnet i need the exact model numbers ( 20-10197-1 & 20-10197-2 ).

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpgUntitled1 (resized).jpgUntitled1 (resized).jpgUntitled3 (resized).jpgUntitled3 (resized).jpg

#2 16 days ago

I'm not at all sure what the difference between 20-10197-1, 20-10197-2, and just plain 20-10197 is.

But I suspect it's just something like wire placement, or connector used, or diode polarity. All of which you can check.

I'm pretty sure that I just ordered 20-10197 (just the plain numbered coil) and wired it in when I had problems here, and there wasn't any difficulty.

I'm surprised to see how crispy your magnet coils are!!!

The original magnet coils for Addams Family didn't have good thermal cut-off's attached, but the replacement coils did... I hope your replacement coils have good thermal cut offs.

Not me, but another tech had a magnet coil with a faulty thermal cut off that was starving power to the coil all the time (even when it was cool). But this was easy to test for. 4.8 ohms (more or less) is correct for these coils, if the coil was reading 173 ohms or something because of a faulty thermal cut off, I'd suspect it wouldn't be very strong!

All my problems with magnet coils not being strong (or not doing what they are supposed to do) were related to what triggered them (if they aren't reliably triggered, the magnet isn't the problem!), or the power transistors running them, so that's what I'd focus on after replacement.

These should be fused, right? Individually? I've had a lot of fuses act as a resistor. I seem to find this more often than other techs do. So if there is a fuse involved, change that fuse.

Finally, you've got a magnet working correctly, with good power. You've got other magnets that are suspect. It's some work, but swap them. If the weakness or lack of power follows the magnet, you've got a problem with the part.

This kind of stuff isn't easy to find/fix.

Let us know what you find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 37.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-fear-magnets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.