(Topic ID: 327151)

No Home Leaderboards For Stern Insider Connected (Poll Added)

By EaglePin

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If Stern had home leaderboards available, would that feature sway you more toward buying a Stern over a machine that looked equally fun but didn't have connected features?”

• Yes, I'd lean more toward the Stern because of home leaderboards 69 votes
      82%
    • No, the availability of home leaderboards wouldn't matter to me 15 votes
      18%

(84 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

access (resized).jpg
    There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

I was disappointed to hear George Gomez on the recent Super Awesome Pinball Show say that not having home leaderboards for Insider Connected is a "business decision" to keep it available only for operators. Here is his quote from the show:

- "It’s not that we don’t have the tech to give them to you in the home. We do. It’s no big deal. But the operator community is pretty much in love with them and they’ve been saying, you know, hey hold something out for us. So it’s a different conversation, right? It’s a business decision about how do we want to do this."

Until now I've been very happy with my Stern machines and IC, but I don't think this makes any logical sense at all. It's not cool for Stern to leave out and annoy the home buyers who make up a very large segment of their machine purchases.

I'd bet it almost never happens that someone thinks along the lines of "Hmmm, I'd like to invite people over to play today but I don't have a leaderboard here so let's go to a location instead."

If people want to play at home, they play at home. If they want to go to a location, they go to a location. Leaderboards may be a factor in deciding which location to go to. But it's going to be so rare that a leaderboard is any sort of deciding factor in playing at home vs. going out to play that it doesn't make sense to have them exclusively for locations.

Some people may think "There are high score records on the machines themselves, so why do you even want or need a leaderboard at home?" I have two thoughts about that line of thinking:
    1) Machines on location also have the high score records on them. So shouldn't locations also not want or need leaderboards, let alone want to have them exclusively?
    2) A leaderboard has room for a lot more than the 5 scores kept on the machine and it could be set to refresh periodically (weekly, monthly, etc.), so there’s definitely a fun reason to have a leaderboard set up at home vs. just having the all time historical high scores that are kept on the machine itself.

A couple other reasons to have leaderboards available to home owners:
    - I’d imagine there’s a decent number of home machine owners around the country who aren’t within a reasonable driving distance to a good location that has a leaderboard. So why not let those people enjoy the feature also?

- Friends, relatives, etc. who rarely or never play pinball except at someone's house might be interested in signing into Insider Connected and having fun on a home leaderboard. Those same people currently have little to no interest in signing up for IC when they play at my house, and they never play on location. So it would open up the IC user base to a potentially good size segment of people who otherwise wouldn't sign up.

Home buyers are currently Stern's largest sales market. It would be fun for owners to have leaderboards at home. Rather than excluding that big market from a fun feature, Stern should just open up leaderboards to home locations so anyone can enjoy leaderboards as a feature wherever they play.

#2 1 year ago

I Agree with you 1000% neighbor! It’s stupid reasoning that doesn’t make sense.

#3 1 year ago

I’m confident they will find a way to appease the home market in time as well. George is open to feedback on both sides and will adjust. Great listen - that guy knows what he’s doing and bluntly honest about missteps.

#4 1 year ago

I totally agree with this. As much as I hate to admit it I would be willing to pay some small one-time fee to unlock the home leaderboard functionality if that’s what it took for Stern to allow it

#5 1 year ago

For home users, It should be included in that yearly subscription for the insider pro account or whatever it is called.

#6 1 year ago

Insider Connected is currently no way worth the price tag. I bought it based on thinking the updates would give me further reasons to play, but the updates are slow as molasses. I'm not even sure they'll ever make it actually worth it over time.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:Home buyers are currently Stern's largest sales market. It would be fun for owners to have leaderboards at home. Rather than excluding that big market from a fun feature, Stern should just open up leaderboards to home locations so anyone can enjoy leaderboards as a feature wherever they play.

Yup, I'm really disappointed with this. My family was very much looking forward to it. Would have been so cool to have during holidays and parties.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I’m confident they will find a way to appease the home market in time as well. George is open to feedback on both sides and will adjust. Great listen - that guy knows what he’s doing and bluntly honest about missteps.

I hope he's open to it and adjusts. I feel the same way that he knows what he's doing (lol, except on this issue) and Stern does a lot of good stuff under his leadership. I hope he'll come around on this one.

#9 1 year ago

Don't they have the technology to figure out cheaters? I think they do with timing detection on the pf. There should be a separate home leader boards and achievements leaderboard at home. I think majority of ic are home users. Would love to it, something like today's high scores, etc.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Yup, I'm really disappointed with this. My family was very much looking forward to it. Would have been so cool to have during holidays and parties.

Absolutely! Relatives over for holidays playing and signing up to IC so they could see where they come in on the holiday leaderboard? Seems like a no-brainer for Stern to want those holiday guests to have a fun reason to sign in to IC. At my house just having the achievements doesn't motivate them to sign in. I'm pretty confident leaderboards would get them off the fence to sign up.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Don't they have the technology to figure out cheaters? I think they do with timing detection on the pf. There should be a separate home leader boards and achievements leaderboard at home. I think majority of ic are home users. Would love to it, something like today's high scores, etc.

Would any amount of timing logic help if someone blocked their drains?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Insider Connected is currently no way worth the price tag. I bought it based on thinking the updates would give me further reasons to play, but the updates are slow as molasses. I'm not even sure they'll ever make it actually worth it over time.

Yep in the podcast he said there are more features on the way for IC. It seems like Stern is all in on making IC a good experience for players. Hopefully they come around to the realization that creating various ways to compare scores across users is one of the most engaging things that can be done with IC... for everyone and not just locations.

#13 1 year ago

I would love to have a leaderboard for the Christmas Holidays set up for family members coming over on. Come on Stern make it so

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from blizz81:

Would any amount of timing logic help if someone blocked their drains?

There's no way to monitor or police people cheating on a game at home. And I don't think it should be a reason to keep leaderboards from home users. I think most people in pinball like legitimately posting scores. And if someone wants to try to cheat and get to the top of a leaderboard that doesn't even win them any prizes then I'd say that person has bigger issues.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

There's no way to monitor or police people cheating on a game at home. And I don't think it should be a reason to keep leaderboards from home users. I think most people in pinball like legitimately posting scores. And if someone wants to try to cheat and get to the top of a leaderboard that doesn't get even win them any prizes then I'd say that person has bigger issues.

Right, I don't care if anyone outside my house sees my scores. I just want to have a cool looking 24 inch TV set up on the wall next to my machines for myself and relatives/friends showing that days scores. Ah well. Hopefully like what was said already they reconsider at some point.

#16 1 year ago

Cheating happens on every leaderboard for every videogame. It's a silly reason not to have it since you are basically saying you can't be bothered to police it.

I personally don't view home leaderboards as a huge feature for homes, I mean it would be nice, we could all exchange ids and have a pinside leaderboard among other things.

They need way more than just that to impress me.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Same for me, the holidays are so fun when you see everyone playing. But with no way to hook them in with leaderbaords. Heck I have more invested in pin then most locations.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

Right, I don't care if anyone outside my house sees my scores. I just want to have a cool looking 24 inch TV set up on the wall next to my machines for myself and relatives/friends showing that days scores. Ah well. Hopefully like what was said already they reconsider at some point.

yes Yes YES

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

There's no way to monitor or police people cheating on a game at home. And I don't think it should be a reason to keep leaderboards from home users. I think most people in pinball like legitimately posting scores. And if someone wants to try to cheat and get to the top of a leaderboard that doesn't even win them any prizes then I'd say that person has bigger issues.

Well at home I control it by having the key. Me and my Family compete in leagues and all our pins are set to the hardest level and 3 balls. Stern only has top 5 in the menus to see not the larger list for everyone to see.

#20 1 year ago

I just assumed this would be available so I could do a home leaderboard for my kids and their friends. I was going to buy more IC games to make it more fun. If they aren't going to make it available it really reduces my desire to buy more. I will just buy games that support Scorbit.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Duster72:

I just assumed this would be available so I could do a home leaderboard for my kids and their friends. I was going to buy more IC games to make it more fun. If they aren't going to make it available it really reduces my desire to buy more. I will just buy games that support Scorbit.

I am almost in the same boat. I heard it was coming and bought a IC kit for each game then.......... NOPE Least we are getting all the NON-Verified badges

#22 1 year ago

Just posted in the insider connected thread about the $39.99 I paid for ‘goldenbeards gameroom’ why the hell did I spend that money the , to make my machines available so I can get stupid achievements? What a joke.

What’s the easiest way to create a business account? And how much? Everything is through my business anyways. This is really a bummer

#23 1 year ago

iscored is great option for home leader boards.

https://iScored.info

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Started an update on my 500 mbps Wi-Fi and saw it was going to take an eternity. It already takes forever through the website and my computer. Unless I’m doing something wrong. And I don’t think I am.

I’m blindly typing these two posts while reading comments. I’m legitimately pissed right now. I have these stupid IC kits I’m getting ready to install and have been telling everyone for months we’re doing a leaderboard for the holidays. This sucks

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from E_Gpinball:

iscored is great option for home leader boards.

Going to check this out. I’ve already got some template ideas for other leaderboards I wanted to cycle through on the screen for arcade games and pool.

I was going to set one screen up for live-streaming and the other screen up for leaderboards

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Just don’t let people on the ‘master’ leaderboards. Just let us have one for our own game rooms. Once again, not sure why i paid $39.99 or what I even got with it.

#27 1 year ago

Is there a way to see global leaderboards for high scores and achievments?

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Is there a way to see global leaderboards for high scores and achievments?

I don't think so. I think they only do the one global leaderboard per month for a single game. Which also seems silly. Why not have monthly global leaderboards for all games instead of just one? Seems like limiting it to just one game per month takes away the potential to have people interested in going back monthly to certain machines that might be nearby and hooked up to IC.

Stern's approach to leaderboards is too focused on limiting access to who can use leaderboards and what games they're available for.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

I don't think so. I think they only do the one global leaderboard per month for a single game. Which also seems silly. Why not have monthly global leaderboards for all games instead of just one? Seems like limiting it to just one game per month takes away the potential to have people interested in going back monthly to certain machines that might be nearby and hooked up to IC.
    Stern's approach to leaderboards is too focused on limiting access to who can use leaderboards and what games they're available for.

A few things. There are no global leaderboards to see how you're doing. As noted there is a two week run on one game for both verified and non-verified but it cuts off at 100 people. I really like the idea of just put all game on there and reset maybe very quarter, if not only the billions will survive.

I mentioned it before and pinball on Xbox has it, let user make virtual boards that you can join and compete with.

I think it's only a matter of time to sync the Stern Spike 2 Linux system output (have not sniffed the data packets yet) in a new stream and make a whole reward system.

#30 1 year ago

This is such a dumb decision. Having home leaderboards will in no way affect location play. I was looking forward to displaying high scores and having friends and family compete during gatherings. Definitely a case of seeing the forest for the trees.

#31 1 year ago

Grinch Gomez has stolen Christmas!

#32 1 year ago

Honestly, locations need something only available to locations, it’s already hard enough to make any money operating pins. With that said, it would be cool if a separate, limited network for home style leaderboards were available without taking away any advantage of location leaderboards.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from TroyS:

Heck I have more invested in pin then most locations.

If your collection is accurate, then you need to visit better locations. There are locations out there that have a single pin worth more than your entire collection. Glad you are one of the enthusiastic new guys here though. Support your local operators, sounds like they need help.

*this is not a dig at you

#34 1 year ago

Maybe the biggest impact we can do is to cancel insider connect yearly membership?

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

The current Worldwide Leaderboard game for Stern IC is Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm the the Chicago area (where there are a lot of great locations and a lot of pins) and I just went to the Stern IC website to confirm what I already knew.

Other than the Stern Factory Arcade (which isn't public), there's only one GOTG on location hooked up to IC and it's over 40 miles away from me. So for any pinball player in the area (and there are A LOT), you're pretty much SOL for the current worldwide leaderboard unless you know someone who has one at home. It just doesn't make sense to have leaderboards being done like this.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

The current Worldwide Leaderboard game for Stern IC is Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm the the Chicago area (where there are a lot of great locations and a lot of pins) and I just went to the Stern IC website to confirm what I already knew.
    Other than the Stern Factory Arcade (which isn't public), there's only one GOTG on location hooked up to IC and it's over 40 miles away from me. So for any pinball player in the area (and there are A LOT), you're pretty much SOL for the current worldwide leaderboard unless you know someone who has one at home. It just doesn't make sense to have leaderboards being done like this.

Why is that? Ops haven’t installed/registered IC?

#37 1 year ago

Not smart from Stern.

Most games sold go into a home environment. Home environments can run comps with their collections.

Make the leaderboards non verified.

Give people some value and a good reason to buying IC kits for all their games.

#38 1 year ago

I'd be surprised if there's any actual operators who truly care if leaderboards are available at home. If there are operators who feel that way, they're imbeciles.

If anything, if more folks get exposed to leaderboards at home they will be MORE likely to seek out locations with them for bragging rights. I'm seldom willing to underestimate the human capacity for stupidity, but operators clamoring for stern to make leaderboards location only just seems too farfetched for me.

As an aside, home leaderboards would be a great way to beta test new features before releasing them to more "serious" location environs.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Why is that? Ops haven’t installed/registered IC?

Clearly there aren't any GOTG near me with IC on them. On Pinballmap.com, other than the Stern Factory Arcade, I see 4 GOTG near me. So that means none of them have IC on them. And this area is a big market for pinball in the country.

I just looked up Greenleaf, ID on Pinballmap.com. It lists 24 pinball machines in Greenleaf. When I entered the Greenleaf zip code of 83626 into Stern IC it shows a grand total of 5 machines connected, but the kicker is that none of them are even in Greenleaf. They're all listed as being over 20 miles from 83626.

There are situations like this all over the country, including in bigger pinball markets like Chicago. So I fail to see the argument that operators need to be protected when there just aren't that many IC games out on location to begin with. There's not that much out there to protect.

Also I think a rising tide would float all boats, meaning more interest in pinball (including having home leaderboards) will translate into more location play because of the expanded interest in total that it generates. Looking at it as "it would take business from locations" is just not supported by the facts. Home pinball owners play a good amount of location pinball. At tournaments in the area a common question when meeting someone is "Do you have any games at home" and the answer is pretty often "yes". I don't think the amount home owners play on location would change much if leaderboards were available at home.

Leaderboards are fun, and more people having fun in pinball means better pinball business for everyone.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bud:

it would be cool if a separate, limited network for home style leaderboards were available without taking away any advantage of location leaderboards.

I think that’s all most people want. Just make it an unofficial localized (as in only that gameroom) leaderboard.

#41 1 year ago

100% agree, this is a "bad" business decision from Stern. Their mistake is listening to operators who are just consumers like us and not realizing the intangibles like this are very detrimental... bad press, bad word of mouth. Marketing 101, Sales 101. Just because someone is good at designing and project managing a pinball machine doesn't mean they should oversee key business decisions.

It is 100% avoidable, but so far they have chosen NOT to avoid it. They have chosen to build a class system for their consumers. The elite "haves" and lowly undeserving "have-nots". If only us too, the home consumers who spend the exact same goddamn dollars and pennies for these machines ran a business from the hobby? I think Stern is being naive here and not malicious.

"The road to hell was always paved with good intentions" afterall.

Stern likely thinks that treating the operator community as a channel sales, and an extension of their business model means that locking out all other consumers is a solid business transaction. This is CERTAINLY a result of a handful of noisy operators who carry some weight for some reason internally within the manufacturer community. This is a mistake on Stern's part, THEY HOLD THE POWER AS THE MANUFACTURER. I would assume this was a 30 minute discussion at most at Stern HQ without any consideration of the real ramifications that it would bring.

The good news is, its a software switch that Stern can turn on at ANY point in time and clear their name. If they want to find a happy medium, put the goddamn feature behind the Insider Connected Pro subscription and charge people for the feature. Monetize it, operationalize the revenue and build your pipeline. I swear the people making these decisions are blind and have little sales experience. Stop listening to whiny operators.

Treat your customers equally. Shocking advise, I'm sure heads are rolling at Stern right now reading this.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medic:

Maybe the biggest impact we can do is to cancel insider connect yearly membership?

I haven't owned a NIB Stern since my Star Trek Prem, so I'm behind the times on the IC stuff, but looking at their website I'm not actually clear why you pay them?

Doesn't seem like you get much of anything really.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't owned a NIB Stern since my Star Trek Prem, so I'm behind the times on the IC stuff, but looking at their website I'm not actually clear why you pay them?
    Doesn't seem like you get much of anything really.

I think the paid version only gets you some additional video/audio/podcast type content and eligibility to order LE's directly from Stern for the few they've been putting on sale the past couple releases (although it doesn't seem like they're offering many directly for sale so they sell out instantly).

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

Clearly there aren't any GOTG near me with IC on them. On Pinballmap.com, other than the Stern Factory Arcade, I see 4 GOTG near me. So that means none of them have IC on them. And this area is a big market for pinball in the country.
    I just looked up Greenleaf, ID on Pinballmap.com. It lists 24 pinball machines in Greenleaf. When I entered the Greenleaf zip code of 83626 into Stern IC it shows a grand total of 5 machines connected, but the kicker is that none of them are even in Greenleaf. They're all listed as being over 20 miles from 83626.
    There are situations like this all over the country, including in bigger pinball markets like Chicago. So I fail to see the argument that operators need to be protected when there just aren't that many IC games out on location to begin with. There's not that much out there to protect.
    Also I think a rising tide would float all boats, meaning more interest in pinball (including having home leaderboards) will translate into more location play because of the expanded interest in total that it generates. Looking at it as "it would take business from locations" is just not supported by the facts. Home pinball owners play a good amount of location pinball. At tournaments in the area a common question when meeting someone is "Do you have any games at home" and the answer is pretty often "yes". I don't think the amount home owners play on location would change much if leaderboards were available at home.
    Leaderboards are fun, and more people having fun in pinball means better pinball business for everyone.

Half of our spike 2 games DO NOT have IC on them. Unless they have come with the newer games and yes, we have a leaderboard or two up.

Why? Operators get no discount on the kit. $200 per machine adds up quick and you would be disgustingly shocked by how little money a 7-9k pinball machine actually makes in a month.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

All
    They have to do is what they have already done with achievements. Just distinguish home records from location or keep the leaderboards separate.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

I think the paid version only gets you some additional video/audio/podcast type content

I don't mind paying for content. I work in journalism ffs.

But it seems to me that the 'content' you're paying for is just marketing material. They're a pinball company, stuff about them making games sounds interesting and all, but it's all in the service of selling the games they make, no?

Anyways, I basically agree with this thread. Differentiating between operators and home buyers who are purchasing the exact same commercial machines for the exact same price feels weak.

#47 1 year ago

In its current state, I see no value in the IC for the home market. I will not install it on any of my games, and currently do not use it on the games that have it. Great idea that has been poorly implemented and knee capped by poor choices.

#48 1 year ago

Stern wants to be a lifestyle brand.

Decisions like this are not the way to achieve that goal.

#49 1 year ago

I’d be curious to hear what anyone who own pins on Insider Connected at home outside the U.S. thinks about this also. Would you like the ability to set up a home leaderboard on your Insider Connected machines? Are there many pinball locations in your area that already have machines working on Insider Connected?

#50 1 year ago

This whole decision is simply because Stern wants to charge Ops on some sort of plan, and get a cut from every game on IC out on location. The financial gain from that will be bigger than any Insider Plus, or home customer income they can generate.
    This has always been the plan, don’t think for a minute that Stern was creating this team of people and platform just to be nice to the players and home buyers, for no charge.
    It needs to be free, and have as many players using it as possible, so those players will lean on the Ops to keep it when Stern starts charging commercial Ops for it.
    Still a bad move, but very easy to see the logic. This is not some huge blunder that many think, it’s very calculated, from the info they have been gathering from the Pro accounts.

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-home-leaderboards-for-stern-insider-connected and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.