6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 months ago

Not sure which forum to post this in but looking for some recommendations on how to polish out a small scratch in a mirror blade. Apparently either I pulled up a protector when lifting the playfield and caught the blade or forgot to use them once and managed to lightly scratch one side.

Not sure if Maas or Flitz are enough to work this out or at least reduce a scratch, but looking for feedback from folks who've tried to do this and whether it's too much of an uphill battle? Maybe red or green rouge on a cotton buff wheel on a Dremel?

#2 6 months ago

They're incredibly prone to scuffs/scratches & I'm convinced there isn't anyway to polish it out completely. The amount of effort would be marginally noticeable; the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

#3 6 months ago

I would leave it. I think trying to polish it with anything would leave a dull halo around the scratch and call more attention to it.

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

I would leave it. I think trying to polish it with anything would leave a dull halo around the scratch and call more attention to it.

Yeah, that is my fear - go after it with polishing compound and end up only making it more noticeable. It's not that much of a scratch, just makes me cringe when I do notice it.

There are enough DIY guys here that I figure somebody must have tried it, hence the question.

#5 6 months ago

I hand polish the metal on my EMs and can get it to a mirror finish, depending on the metal.

It takes a lot of different grits of wet dry sandpaper, some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish, and will take an afternoon out of your life. Unless you have all the supplies already on hand, you are better off leaving it as is or buying a new blade.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/polish-a-scratched-mirror-blade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.