Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Spitfiren8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

530-5012-02_2_300x300 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 months ago

I was considering picking up a bulk supply of the post studs we commonly see in pins that hold down the star posts and let you mount plastics and other stuff on top. I was shocked when I looked them up at all the usual places only to find the best price to be about $1 each when ordered in bulk. I've always known buying hardware from a lot of these places tends to be much more expensive than a trip to your local hardware store or hardware supplier so I fired up the ol google machine but I am not seeing these available from any place other than pinball suppliers really. Is this somewhat of a pinball specific part and therefore not something off the shelf I can order from say Fastenal, or grainger, or mcmaster carr, ect? Is there a secret to not spending a decent chunk of change for a good supply of these things or am I stuck paying the pinball parts suppliers prices?

530-5012-02_2_300x300 (resized).jpg530-5012-02_2_300x300 (resized).jpg
    #2 6 months ago

Pinballs break. They break a lot. Usually they break in simple and easy to fix ways. Frequently they break in ways that require specialty or hard to obtain parts. Rarely, but often enough that you should take note, they break in a way that requires a pinball technician to repair.

You are stuck in the 'specialty or hard-to-obtain' part of pinball repair.

This is very much a pinball specific part, and it was a GREAT DAY when Marco Specialties contracted and started having these made again. Stern was making their variations all along, but for a brief time this kind of hardware for older pinballs was in danger of not being available.

The main problem you'll find is that there are a lot of variations. Taller, shorter, threads on top, threads on bottom, long top, short top, etc. To get an assortment with a couple dozen of each type is probably a $500+ investment.

It looks like you need this:

https://www.pinballlife.com/machine-poststud-530-5012-02.html

While I'm a big supporter of Marco, for bulk purchases Pinball Life usually has a compelling price advantage. Shipping definitely can make a big difference when choosing suppliers, with the general advice that Marco's flat rate is better for smaller orders and Pinball Life's actual freight is better for larger bulk orders.

If you are looking to buy in serious bulk (a case of 10,000 parts, or a couple hundred of several different styles...) I would personally call the suppliers and see if they can do a better price for such a large order. It's worth a call.

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Pinballs break. They break a lot. Usually they break in simple and easy to fix ways. Frequently they break in ways that require specialty or hard to obtain parts. Rarely, but often enough that you should take note, they break in a way that requires a pinball technician to repair.
    You are stuck in the 'specialty or hard-to-obtain' part of pinball repair.
    This is very much a pinball specific part, and it was a GREAT DAY when Marco Specialties contracted and started having these made again.
    The main problem you'll find is that there are a lot of variations. Taller, shorter, threads on top, threads on bottom, long top, short top, etc.
    It looks like you need this:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/machine-poststud-530-5012-02.html

Thank you but I am pretty familiar with pinball repair, and also the different varieties of post studs we often see. I know theres quite a few variations but some are more common than others. For clarity, I don't NEED anything...I would just LIKE some. Sometimes I come across bent or broken ones, other times they are just in ugly condition with corrosion/rust, ect. Sometimes I just drop one into the forbidden zone and it transports into a different dimension never to be found again. It would be nice to just have fresh shiny new ones on hand for when those situations arise.

That was my concern that this was a pinball specific part, so thank you for clarifying there. I suppose I am stuck ordering from Marcos or PBL which is fine I guess, but I sure was hoping this was a more "universal" kind of fastener that I could order from a supplier for less than a buck each.

Hard for me personally to justify lets just say, $200 to have a supply of the most common ones on hand at all times. I guess I will continue to order as needed and let some more ugly looking ones I find in games sometimes to slide

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Thank you but I am pretty familiar with pinball repair, and also the different varieties of post studs we often see. I know theres quite a few variations but some are more common than others. For clarity, I don't NEED anything...I would just LIKE some. Sometimes I come across bent or broken ones, other times they are just in ugly condition with corrosion/rust, ect. Sometimes I just drop one into the forbidden zone and it transports into a different dimension never to be found again. It would be nice to just have fresh shiny new ones on hand for when those situations arise.
    That was my concern that this was a pinball specific part, so thank you for clarifying there. I suppose I am stuck ordering from Marcos or PBL which is fine I guess, but I sure was hoping this was a more "universal" kind of fastener that I could order from a supplier for less than a buck each.
    Hard for me personally to justify lets just say, $200 to have a supply of the most common ones on hand at all times. I guess I will continue to order as needed and let some more ugly looking ones I find in games sometimes to slide

(nods)

I'm in the same boat.

When I need one, I order 20, and through the years I end up with the most common ones in stock.

People talk about pinball prices. The cost of pinball machines. Pinflation.

From my point of view, pinflation is a great thing.

A couple dozen years ago, you could go reliably to an auction, and buy a Getaway for $600 bucks. For years, there would be a couple at every auction, and with small variations for condition, you could pick up a Getaway pinball for $600 bucks.

Now a Getaway pinball is what, $4000 and up depending on condition?

But here is the thing.

If a Getaway pinball were still $600, and the display failed today, it would cost $500 for a plasma display to repair it. And a lot of people would consider just taking the machine to the dump... and we'd lose a machine. Gone forever, because the cost of the repair isn't justified by the value of the machine.

We don't have that problem, because of pinflation.

You can spend money to buy parts... even at these prices.

Because pinflation has made the value of the machine worth the cost of the parts.

When I refurbish a machine it hurts me to pay $60 bucks for a flipper rebuild kit. (Roadshow, 4 flippers). But the value of the machine justifies the cost of the parts. By a large margin.

It's a whole new world.

(stoops down, starts talking in a high wavering voice) "In my day, we bought drop targets five fer a doller... 'an we liked it!"

Drop targets aren't five for a dollar anymore, but the pinballs I'm working on aren't $300 machines either.

Even fixing pinballs isn't a hobby for the faint of heart or for the person who doesn't have deep pockets anymore.

#5 6 months ago

I can't sift threwm this noval above but I've never seen TopHats available any place other than pinball part dealers.
    I feel like if they were available cheaper I would have seen them

#6 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I can't sift threwm this noval above but I've never seen TopHats available any place other than pinball part dealers.
    I feel like if they were available cheaper I would have seen them

Lol thanks Law, I figured this was the case, but I just wanted to make sure

#7 6 months ago

Pinball Life or Pinball Resource would probably be the cheapest place then Marco last. Yeah this isn't a part that's probably used anywhere outside of pinball, so you're kinda stuck, unfortunately. I've had some games I've worked on (System 11) where they must have welded or used red loctite on those posts in the t-nuts because they all broke trying to remove them.

#8 6 months ago

I haven't seen them anywhere other than with pinball suppliers either.

Quoted from schudel5:

I've had some games I've worked on (System 11) where they must have welded or used red loctite on those posts in the t-nuts because they all broke trying to remove them.

When you suspect loctite, heat up the t-nut with a soldering iron cranked up to the highest setting. I have to do this on gottlieb system 3 games all the time. You still may break off a couple posts, but most will come out intact.

#9 6 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Pinball Life or Pinball Resource would probably be the cheapest place then Marco last. Yeah this isn't a part that's probably used anywhere outside of pinball, so you're kinda stuck, unfortunately. I've had some games I've worked on (System 11) where they must have welded or used red loctite on those posts in the t-nuts because they all broke trying to remove them.

'Clear loctite' = superglue.

Hehe.

Been there a couple of times lately. Darned Police Force!

#10 6 months ago

I get all my pinball posts relatively cheap. They only cost the time to dig out what I need if I extract one from an old destroyed playfield. At one time I think I had 30 populated playfields that were worth more in parts than they would ever be as a whole. I would buy them at auctions and pinball shows for like $20.

I am down to about 16 now but, there's still plenty of posts. I've worked with them for over a decade and I can tell you one fact for CERTAIN. The old playfield parts from the 70's and 80's were made a LOT better than any parts that are made today!

Any metal posts you buy today are made from materials that are far less superior. And they are made by places with less quality. Quite frankly, it's come to be what people expect when they buy stuff in today's world.

Today, products cost more than ever and they last a couple years until it fails or completely falls apart. Pinball parts are no exception to this new standard that we have all had to accept. It's too expensive to make a profit off anything unless you cut so many conrners that the product only holds up for a fraction of the time that it did 30 years ago.

#11 6 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I was considering picking up a bulk supply of the post studs we commonly see in pins that hold down the star posts and let you mount plastics and other stuff on top. I was shocked when I looked them up at all the usual places only to find the best price to be about $1 each when ordered in bulk. I've always known buying hardware from a lot of these places tends to be much more expensive than a trip to your local hardware store or hardware supplier so I fired up the ol google machine but I am not seeing these available from any place other than pinball suppliers really. Is this somewhat of a pinball specific part and therefore not something off the shelf I can order from say Fastenal, or grainger, or mcmaster carr, ect? Is there a secret to not spending a decent chunk of change for a good supply of these things or am I stuck paying the pinball parts suppliers prices?[quoted image]

These things suck! Is that what they call ‘em? Tophats?
    When I was restoring Sorcerer and Shaq, these things were such a bastard to secure! The existing ones were all bent up and useless, and even at PBR they were pricy! Couldn’t believe it, but they are absolutely pinball specialty parts and can’t be obtained anywhere else, really.

#12 6 months ago

Reusing old Tophats is fine unless it's a new PF swap. I've had 2 or 3 break off during re-pop and it's a little disheartening to have to get the un-screwems out on a brand new purchase

#13 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Reusing old Tophats is fine unless it's a new PF swap.

I just wirewheel and polish them for that. Takes about 15 seconds.

#14 6 months ago

A source for post studs? I thought pinside was the most prolific source of post studs.

I'll walk myself out.

#15 6 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I just wirewheel and polish them for that. Takes about 15 seconds.

I've found that doesn't stop them from snapping in half

#16 6 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've found that doesn't stop them from snapping in half

Vintage ones? Snap in half? They are indestructible.

#17 6 months ago

In pinch u can use a machine screw up thru the pf with a small diameter nut on top of the post. Easy to cut to length, super cheap, and invisible if covered by plastics.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/source-for-post-studs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.