Space Mission Random Reset and Tilts from Switch Hit

By Pinball_Eddie

40 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 40 days ago

Hope everyone is well.

Joined the EM family with a Space Mission and this is my first EM pinball so I got a lot to learn as I’m mainly familiar with System 11 to Modern pins.

At first was having issues all over the place, but fortunately I narrowed them all down to the Player Unit being ever so slightly misaligned.

Only have two remaining issues I’m trying to track down.

Every now and then the game will just restart\reset. There is no pattern as far as I can tell and it can happen regardless of player count and it happens whenever going over different switches. When it happens, I see the last switch that was hit and try to replicate but never can. I saw one thread and their issue was a stuck switch, but I’ve tried holding down the switches from the topside of the playfield and it doesn’t reset.

Last issue is very strange. Whenever I plunge the ball and the ball goes over the middle rollover switch at the top, the game tilts. It only happens if no other switch is hit when a new ball is ejected AND it goes in the middle lane.

I’m going through all the posts and articles on PinWiki and other places to start learning more about EM's.

I appreciate any and all help.

Have a great weekend everyone.

#2 40 days ago

From all the space missions I have worked on, the biggest problem
now is all the relays need the screws and coil cleaned magnetic seal/current
broken up. I have come across relays the get stuck energized. Though the circuit is off.

#4 40 days ago

On the tilt problem:
Check the spinner lane rollover switch.
This switch could be a 3 blade make/make switch. Check that the blue-white & white-black wires are not touching or the blades should not be touching. Adjust switch if needed.

#5 40 days ago

On the random reset problem:
On the replay unit, the reset coil plunger arm will activate a 3 blade switch. The green-white wire on this switch will pulse the coin relay when touching the other blades. Inspect and adjust that none of the blades are touching or very close. The wire connections on this switch commonly get bumped and shorted. Inspect connections.
On the coin door, if you slip a piece of paper into the normally closed anti-cheat switch, then power will be cut to the coin switches and their relays for testing purposes on the random reset problem.

#6 39 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

From all the space missions I have worked on, the biggest problem
now is all the relays need the screws and coil cleaned magnetic seal/current
broken up. I have come across relays the get stuck energized. Though the circuit is off.

The machine I got was a restored one and all the switches and mech were cleaned, tumbled, etc. but I will keep an eye out. I haven’t heard any relays get stuck on, but thanks for the head’s up.

Thanks SO much for all the links. I always like making testing tools and will look to make one of these bulb testers and see the next time the game resets, if the light comes on.

Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On the tilt problem:
Check the spinner lane rollover switch.
This switch could be a 3 blade make/make switch. Check that the blue-white & white-black wires are not touching or the blades should not be touching. Adjust switch if needed.

Yahtzee, this is what was causing the top middle rollover from causing the Tilt. I didn’t check the wires, but one of the connections on the switch (bottom two leafs) were closed via the leaf contacts. Once I separated them, no more tilts on the top middle rollover and the only thing that causes the tilt is this rollover when activated, although I am having difficulty adjusting this one, more on that below.

Quoted from pinballdaveh:

On the random reset problem:
On the replay unit, the reset coil plunger arm will activate a 3 blade switch. The green-white wire on this switch will pulse the coin relay when touching the other blades. Inspect and adjust that none of the blades are touching or very close. The wire connections on this switch commonly get bumped and shorted. Inspect connections.
On the coin door, if you slip a piece of paper into the normally closed anti-cheat switch, then power will be cut to the coin switches and their relays for testing purposes on the random reset problem.

Thank you and I will try that when I have more time to do more thorough testing, weekends are kinda busy, but will test this out this week.

Thank you again everyone for all the advice and help. So far like I mentioned above, the Tilt issue has been corrected and was tied to the Spinner Lane Rollover Switch, which is a 3 blade switch. I didn’t check the connections as I didn’t have much time to tinker today, but I did adjust them to ensure none of them were touching, but after doing this, I cannot get the switch to register consistently. The only time I can get it to register is when I rapidly use my finger to repeatedly push down on the switch from the playfield side. I tried cleaning all the contacts with one of those files that you can get from PBResource, but for some reason I just can’t find the right way to adjust it as there isn’t much room being there are 3 blades and I have them as close as possible, but just pushing all the way down on the switch won’t register a hit, even from under the playfield and it only registers a hit when I rapidly push down and down repeatedly on the switch from the topside of the playfield. I tried finding pics of this switch, but couldn’t find any, so any help is appreciated. I will take a closer look to see if any of the wires are touching at the solder points.

Regarding the random resets, I didn’t have any today in about 15 games, but will make one of those bulb testers as recommended as well as will check all the wires everyone recommended and do the paper trick on the coin door anti-cheat switch.

Thanks again everyone for the help and getting closer to having these last gremlins sorted out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-mission-random-reset-and-tilts-from-switch-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.