IMG_2187 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2183 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2175 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2169 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2168 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 months ago

Ok, Stern has had a bad batch of optos that have started failing almost imediately in current shipping Godzilla Premiums. After getting replacements from Pinball Life, I found the same manufacturing defects in both.

Basic problem is heavy handed excess through-hole LED lead excess removal, post solder, when the assembly worker dyked off the LED legs, he took most of the solder joint with it by trimming the entire lead almost flush with the circuit board.

This leaves just a tiny physical bond that can fracture easily, or worse, an actual physical electrical circuit with NO actual metal bond, its just the cleaving of solder and copper together due to the sharp blade of the dykes, and although it works electrically, you vibrate it with 15 missed building hit shots and voila, the opto fails.

I reflowed all my spare optos and added some solder to repair the dyked off joints and all seems fine for now, knock tin.

Anyone else feel the build quality of late runs of existing titles is suffering at Stern? I'd swear my FG from 2008 was built better.

#2 5 months ago

I'd love to see pics.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball - My YT Channel
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#3 5 months ago

My Bond LE had issues from the factory - essentially incorrect/poor installations that caused a set of optos to not read and a playfield switch to not register correctly. My tech had to fix them and indicated it was poor quality control from Stern.

#4 5 months ago

I purchased my Godzilla Premium from ABT in Glenview. The ABT tech was here this morning. He replaced the opto sensor, but the building still doesn't see the ball go through. I also still receive the Tech Alert Opti Sensor #64 error message. This is our first NIB modern pinball machine, so the family is disappointed.

#5 5 months ago

Here are pics of me new optos from stern via warranty
The sawder joints seem ok right?
Ps. The game was 6 days old. Ugh!

IMG_2168 (resized).jpegIMG_2168 (resized).jpegIMG_2169 (resized).jpegIMG_2169 (resized).jpeg
#6 5 months ago

I’m so pissed. I installed the new optos above. Did the test. They were working fine. This game is 6 days old. 3 games later and it seems the building shots are not registering.
The brand new optos went out.
I can see a red light in the left opto board but they no longer register. Ten thousand dollars and it works a few days or a few games?
Please. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this issue on the building Optos? I got a new set via warranty and they lasted 3 games.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, Stern has had a bad batch of optos that have started failing almost imediately in current shipping Godzilla Premiums. After getting replacements from Pinball Life, I found the same manufacturing defects in both.
Basic problem is heavy handed excess through-hole LED lead excess removal, post solder, when the assembly worker dyked off the LED legs, he took most of the solder joint with it by trimming the entire lead almost flush with the circuit board.
This leaves just a tiny physical bond that can fracture easily, or worse, an actual physical electrical circuit with NO actual metal bond, its just the cleaving of solder and copper together due to the sharp blade of the dykes, and although it works electrically, you vibrate it with 15 missed building hit shots and voila, the opto fails.
I reflowed all my spare optos and added some solder to repair the dyked off joints and all seems fine for now, knock tin.
Anyone else feel the build quality of late runs of existing titles is suffering at Stern? I'd swear my FG from 2008 was built better.

Please advise on which joints we can re solder. The new ones I received looked ok but failed in 3 games.
Pics if possible

#8 5 months ago

Let’s see the other side of those two boards.
The second board looks OK.
The first board may have the opto leg clipped too closely and into the solder meniscus (volcano).

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Let’s see the other side of those two boards.
The second board looks OK.
The first board may have the opto leg clipped too closely and into the solder meniscus (volcano).

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

Do you mean the board with three wires?
They r in the machine and have already failed
I guess it can’t hurt to attempt a re sawder but please advise on which joints and which sides of the board. I have back up ones coming in a few hours that I ordered as a precaution from pinball life

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from Big_C_70092:

Do you mean the board with three wires?
They r in the machine and have already failed
I guess it can’t hurt to attempt a re sawder but please advise on which joints and which sides of the board. I have back up ones coming in a few hours that I ordered as a precaution from pinball life

The legs of the LED are usually the culprits, however, I reflowed the pigtail leads as well.

Ok... what you need- soldering iron, wet sponge, solder, possibly a solder sucker or solder braid if you need to remove excess solder, swabs, industrial wipes or paper towel, isopropyl alcohol.

Clean everything, iron, solder, joint, board with iso and let dry.

Iron temp 750 degrees, Tin iron tip by applying solder while it just gets hot enough to melt the solder, then rubbing tip on wet sponge. This will leave tip nice and shiny if done right.

Immediately place tip on solder joint, trying to melt the remaining solder on the pad, liquifying it and getting the tip of the iron to actually touch the LED leg. Now wait just a momement... watch the solder around the leg and it should start bubbling due to residual flux in the joint. Take a small amount of resin core solder and apply it to the joint, little at a time, maybe all of a 1/8" to 1/4" of solder wire, just enough to flow through the boards cold side and create a filet on the hot side. If solder balls up on the leg, keep heat on leg until flows to cold side, or, remove the excess with solder braid or a solder sucker and add back new solder until joint is formed.

If the monkey fisted masked dyker has cut the legs off too close, you will have a hard time creating a filet, so a solder ball may be the only thing that will form on the hot side. Go with it. You have no other choice. Reflow second leg the same as first. Repeat for pigtail leads, especially if the dyker cut them too close as well.

Thats all you can do from a user standpoint. Reinstall if they work, test them by plugging the transmitter and reciever in and point them at each other with your hands before reinstalling, the red led will blink as you align and mis-align them if it is working and you will see it work if in switch test mode.

Clean off the flux residue with iso and install, should last more than 15 games, mine has.

Hope this helps someone.

BH

#11 5 months ago

Ok. Here is my story. Spoiler alert, it’s bad news
Called stern and they shipped new optos that arrived Friday. As a precaution I bought a back up set from pinballlofe.com that arrived Saturday.
Upon testing I only needed to change the 4 wire opto. I verified it was working well then pulled it and as a precaution re flowed the two led solder joints. De installed and it worked 3 games. Like super disappointing. Even though it was nit working the red led on that opto was still lit.
Saturday came and I installed my back up 4 wire opto. I still have not changed the 2 wire one.
The 4 wire opto went out before I played 5 games
So 2 fried optos in just a few games. Even with precautionary re flowing of solder on the led points, they still went out
I hope someone figures this out soon.
I have 4 more 4 wire optos on order from pinballlife and I’m gonna call stern on Monday

Any help with this would be much appreciated

#12 5 months ago

Here is the opto with preventative prior led pin re flowing of solder. Still failed in under five games

IMG_2175 (resized).jpegIMG_2175 (resized).jpeg
#13 5 months ago

Seems it might not be a soldering issue as I preventstively re flowed the led solder prior to install and it still died in under five games

HELP!

I do have 4 more optos on the way but I have no confidence as I been through three of em already in ten days.

#14 5 months ago

I used super thin solder wire. Not flux filled solder. I did have flux on the iron tip. Is it possible that that thick flux filled solder would fix my issue?
Ps, I’m only doing the led legs on the 4 wire opto as the other joints test ok with an ohm meter

#15 5 months ago

Ok, from your picture, your problem is no flow of solder through the board making electrical contact only on the solder side, this usually means the plated through holes are not plated through well, if at all. Yes to flux filled solder. Paste is not ideal here. Flux oxidizes dirt in the joint allowing it to flow, but paste flux is good for large joints, but thin leads of an LED usually don't need that much flux, which if it doesn't have a lot of dirt to oxidize, it becomes a flow inhibitor. Flux filled solder comes in very thin gages, I use some thats about 0.03". Watch the hole as you have heat on the joint. If it is bubbling (due to solder oxidizing dirt) keep the heat on a bit longer and let the bubbles subside, then when hot enough, solder will flow to the opposite side, but too much heat, and the pad may separate from the board. Its a very delicate dance between flow and heat damage, and we had to practice to do it without damaging the board. Good luck.

#16 5 months ago

Ok. Tried to heat until liguid, added paste, it bubbled a bit. Left a drop of solder on board but opto still does not work. I have thin flux filled solder coming in on Monday
You think that will make a difference?

If not, I have 4 sets of 3 wire optos coming in maybe as early as Wednesday.
I still have 2 of the two wire optos that are good

Should I replace both or just the bad opto?

Last, the VUK has what looks like the same optos. They don’t seem to be failing. If they the same optos, why are the building optos failing? Is it the vibrations?

#17 5 months ago

Shock and vibration, but mostly the shock of the hard rattling missed building shots... that metal bracket that the opto is actually screwed to passes the ball hit shocks directly to the LED and those insignificant dyke weakened joints crack like nothing. If reflowing the broke one doesn't fix it, someone has commented that the LED fails during the initial brake. Reflowed the new ones before installing in mine, has worked so far.

#18 5 months ago

That gives me hope. I got 4 coming in a few days. I have the rosen core solder coming in tomorrow.
The main leads always look good. I’m gonna re flow just the two led pins in the new ones.
I also bought a de soldering tool so I can completely re do the led joint.
Thanks so much for your amazing detailed Instructions above.

#19 5 months ago

Spoke with a stern tech today. Sent them a pic of my bad opto.
Check out this pic. There is a tiny black rectangle. Looks like a piece of plastic. It’s broken on mine and skewed sideways. Seems like it’s broken due to possible vibration or being hit.
that plastic is a piece of the diode that has broken off, maybe due to trauma or vibration.
compare this pic to a new one and you will see the difference

IMG_2178 (resized).jpegIMG_2178 (resized).jpeg

#20 5 months ago

I then sent a pic of the stand up targets. He feels the stand up target might be hitting the opto board. Here is a pre and post picture of me bending the aluminum plate. FYI, I was not able to make the stand up target touch the opto even though it’s super close. New optos are on the way but I improved the gap between em. See copy and check your clearance as a precaution as this may be the cause.
IMG_2182 (resized).jpegIMG_2182 (resized).jpegIMG_2183 (resized).jpegIMG_2183 (resized).jpeg

#21 5 months ago

That is a surface mount transistor, labeled Q1.
I doubt the target sheered that off. Still, I don't have any other theories as to how that might have happened.
BTW...pretty easy to solder that part back in place, assuming none of the legs are sheered at the part package.
--

#22 5 months ago

In the category of "it would have been nice", had you posted an image of the business side of that opto a few days ago, we could have helped resolve this a couple of days sooner. Pics/videos always help.
--

#23 5 months ago
Quoted from Big_C_70092:

Spoke with a stern tech today. Sent them a pic of my bad opto.
Check out this pic. There is a tiny black rectangle. Looks like a lice of plastic. It’s broken on mine and skewed sideways. Seems like it’s broken due to possible vibration or being hit.
[quoted image]

Can I throw a stupid possibility out here and don't be offended. Is it possible that this may have happened by accident. Not sure if you removed that target and then reinstalled it and perhaps hit that transistor and damaged it. Just a theory, could be so wrong here. Those stand up target are pretty solid and unless it was loose and then was pushed back into the opto board, then I could see that damage happening.

#24 5 months ago

It’s possible. However I’m holding onto two non working 3 wire optos and both have that transistor missing or knocked off. I’m hoping the left stand up target was hitting it and causing vibrations that damaged the surface mounted transistor. I bent the metal to give it more clearance. The new optos will be here in about three days. We will see if this allows em to work for more than a few games.

#25 5 months ago

I was able to find the other two bad optos and all had damaged or missing diodes. Hopefully my issue is with alignment and the pop up target was hitting that opto and damaging it. If you guys have optos going out, double check to see if the diode is damaged as you might have an alignment issue with relation to the stand up target

#26 5 months ago

Thanks for the post. So many people seem to always have issues with optos and it's good to see them. My opinion, the "conditioning" board as Gomez calls it, should be mounted under the playfield and the LED should be decoupled from it to solve various issues and help people to debug opto issues.

As others mentioned, that 3 leg thing is a transistor to boost the receivers signal. Looks like it was machined properly at factory and it snapped off afterwards since it looks like the legs are soldered correctly to the joints and later snapped off the transistor body. Sounds like the issue is fixed now / got a new board coming?

Future tip: a) Its "solder" b) buy a multimeter and put it in short circuit mode. put one at any solder joint and other to the opposite end of wire. If it beeps, then the connection/solder joint are connected electrically.

#27 5 months ago

I have replaced the building opto a few times on my heavily played, location game. Currently working, here’s what I’ve learned…
The 3 wire side seems to be the one that fails, 2 wire side is generally ok.
There is another opto pair, for the back loop, it uses a similar bracket (possibly identical) and has the same optos and plugs. I have used this to help troubleshoot and test the optos and wiring. Determine what side is bad, and see if the problem is the opto boards, because…
I have seen these opto pairs act up because of bad connections to the node boards, and also backed out wired from the plugs. Working those connections has fixed problems that I thought were bad opto boards.
Hope these help make it easier for someone to fix their problem, the building opto pair is also pretty shitty to get to.
As for this being some new flaw in the testing and build of pinball machines at Stern, it is not. Just typical pinball problems.

#28 5 months ago

Ok. I have lost 3 optos all within a few games of each other. I have learned that the small black plastic diode got knocked off each time
I have since installed the 4th 3 wire opto and this is what I did differently
I bent the aluminum tab to allow more clearance from the stand up target as it may have been hitting the diode and breaking it off
I adjusted the opto and stand up target away from each other when tightening the screws
Lastly, on the 3 wire opto, I removed the screw and the black plastic piece. I installed a tiny rubber o ring in between the plastic and the board. That did two things. First, it moved the board about an extra millimeter away from the stand up target making it very unlikely the target can hit the board diode and damage it. The other thing it does is reduce the vibrations transmitted to the opto circuit board when the ball impacts the metal plate

I only have one game on it so far but I will give an update when possible. Can’t play much as I have the flu but I’d like to get 10-20 games in before I update that this solution worked

If it fails sooner I will update but I’m hoping my issue was an alignment issue that made the stand up target damage the diode

#29 5 months ago

Ok, can officially say my opto issue has been solved. Definitely have more than ten games in and no issues.
I think both adjusting the stand up targets away from the board as well as placing that o ring between the board and plastic past to reduce vibration and increase space from the stand up target have fixed my issue. Seems the diode was gettin struck or being damaged by vibration. See the final picture showing the increased space it now has. If you have optos issues, if it’s the three wire one, check for diode damage and spacing issues

IMG_2187 (resized).jpegIMG_2187 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#30 4 months ago
Quoted from Big_C_70092:

Ok, can officially say my opto issue has been solved. Definitely have more than ten games in and no issues.
I think both adjusting the stand up targets away from the board as well as placing that o ring between the board and plastic past to reduce vibration and increase space from the stand up target have fixed my issue. Seems the diode was gettin struck or being damaged by vibration. See the final picture showing the increased space it now has. If you have optos issues, if it’s the three wire one, check for diode damage and spacing issues[quoted image]

The issue of the standup target “bending backwards” and striking the receiver opto was the exact problem in my case. Had about 60 games in when it stopped working. In my pic you can see the bottom bad opto has an impact crack and sheared off pieces compared to its top replacement. My concern is keeping that standup target from bending backwards again due to repeated hits and creating the same problem over and over.

IMG_4382 (resized).jpegIMG_4382 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#31 29 days ago

My GZ premium has about 1,000 plays on it. A few weeks ago the building stopped registering and I ordered a set of optos not know which one might be the issue. I put the 3-wire one in and the building was back. A few days ago it stopped registering again.

I have another 3-wire on order and still have the first 2-wire one that I ordered, but based on the posts here it’s going to be the same one as before.

I didn’t toss the old opto, and just found it and took some pics. I was hoping to see something ripped off, but no. There is some rub, but it doesn’t even get back far enough to reach the components on the board.

I’d like to fix this one as well just to have, but nothing looks damaged. The surface mount stuff looks ok under a light, but haven’t magnified anything yet. The opto solder job looks nipped pretty close, but nothing looks cracked. I might reflow that anyway or replace the bulb and leave more of a lead when I trim it.

Anyway, here are the pics. What are we doing to try to avoid these failing sooner than they should?

IMG_8094 (resized).jpegIMG_8094 (resized).jpegIMG_8095 (resized).jpegIMG_8095 (resized).jpeg
#32 29 days ago

Reflow the solder to the opto LED legs. They dyked those solder joints off too close to the pad, leaving only a tiny ring of solder keeping the electrical connection. When it cracks, and it will, it stops working. If you got you GZ since this new batch came off the line recently, check to see if the tesla standups left and right of the building are not beating the crap out of the opto behind it. There is a bad batch of standup brackets that were too soft and let those standups bend back. Stern sent me two brackets on warranty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-optos-and-godzilla-premium-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.