Classic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG
IMG_1039 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1040 (resized).jpeg
DAAF4D4B-8E36-41D4-BF0B-D2D5A099B33B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
Classic Stern - Drops 2 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG
Classic Stern - Drops 1 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG
Classic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG
IMG_0283 (resized).jpeg
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

Requesting 12 V4’s

I have 13 x v4's left in stock and ordering more next week

send me a pm if you want 12 of these

Jady

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from cb1234:

Ordered 6 v4’s for my Stars machine and they arrived remarkably quick for coming from Australia to the US! And they are *fantastic* - I played many many games today, focusing on the drops, and got *zero* bricks. With the prior targets (which were the hooded ones) I was probably at 25% bricks. It dramatically improves the game - I was having a blast!
Thanks for the quick order fulfillment and the amazing drops!

great to hear, enjoy your game and drops

thanks for your support

Jady

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from cb1234:

I played many many games today, focusing on the drops, and got *zero* bricks.

They make a HUGE difference! The game is so much more satisfying to play when those get taken out consistently, in passing, dead on shot, whatever. Swinks drops are worth every penny. Next is to install them on my Lightning and see if that eliminates the constant bricking!

3 weeks later
#204 11 months ago

Update 31-st May 2023

Have got more in stock:
v3 - 89 x drops available
v4 - 81 x drops available

v3's
- exact replicas - ones on the left

v4's
- exact replicas but with the back of the target face filled - ones on the right

Both play the same, and v4's was just an experiment that people now love the idea of.

- targets are $10AUD each
- buy 10 of more and you get 5% discount off all targets purchased

Note: prices went up a little so I will absorb that but I won't be giving any more discounts above 5%, sorry

Cheers
Jady

Classic Stern - Drops 1 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 1 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 2 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 2 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG

#205 11 months ago

I tested some Rit Dyemore Synthetic Dye today for another project and thought to drop in a target to see what would happen. 3 minutes in the 92 degree C dye water and we have a grape purple target. I know they is probably no market for purple targets but Rit Dyemore might be handy for some peoples projects.

DAAF4D4B-8E36-41D4-BF0B-D2D5A099B33B_1_105_c (resized).jpegDAAF4D4B-8E36-41D4-BF0B-D2D5A099B33B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#206 11 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

3 minutes in the 92 degree C dye water and we have a grape purple target.

Oh man, I would have put these in my Lightning for certain. Black or dark color drops would probably find buyers. That looks cool!

#207 11 months ago

Imagine these on dark purple (I would have made the background purple to match)

IMG_1039 (resized).jpegIMG_1039 (resized).jpegIMG_1040 (resized).jpegIMG_1040 (resized).jpeg
#208 11 months ago

Just ordered a set for my Quicksilver pin! Very excited to have non-bricking targets. Hoping to find the target decals as well. Do you recommend clearcoating the targets prior to installation so they don't pick up dirt? Or are they good as-is?

#209 11 months ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Just ordered a set for my Quicksilver pin! Very excited to have non-bricking targets. Hoping to find the target decals as well. Do you recommend clearcoating the targets prior to installation so they don't pick up dirt? Or are they good as-is?

thanks for your support, though wish you hit me up directly as could of done you a better price even including postage.

Marco has some decals available.

#210 11 months ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Do you recommend clearcoating the targets prior to installation so they don't pick up dirt? Or are they good as-is?

I installed drops in Stars months ago and they are still looking clean.
I print out my own target decals, the Stern ones are pretty easy designs to replicate. I put good quality packing tape over the decals before cutting them out, so they are essentially laminated when I apply them.

I also disassemble, clean, seal, and reassemble drop target cages when replacing targets. They are always filthy so the cleaner I make them the cleaner the targets will remain, at least in theory. Besides, it’s been 40 years, everything can use a bath at this point!

7 months later
#211 3 months ago

Thought to bring an old thread back to life:

It is now 2024 and things have increased slightly per drop\ target (cost wise) but I am keeping the price as is but slightly reducing the discount price offered on bulk.

Classic Stern Tombstone Drop Targets

* 1 - 10 drops = $10 AUD Each

* 11 - 19 drops = $9.75 AUD Each including the first 10 targets (2.5% discount off everything)

* 20 - Up drops = $9.50 AUD Each including the first 19 targets (5% discount off everything)

2 versions:
- v3's are replicas of the original
- v4's are modded with the backs of the target filled in (but not noticeable performance or longevity improvement - was a concept that was trialed and people liked the idea of)
- no decals supplied - can purchase from Marco etc.
- all targets are white

Since the interest has trailed off a little I just purchase 75-100 at a time of one type and when they run out I order again.

Currently have 94 x Classic Stern Tombstone Drop Targets v3's in stock

Jady

Both same at the front - v3 on the left and v4 on the right
Classic Stern - Drops 1 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 1 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG

V3 on the left and v4 on the right
Classic Stern - Drops 2 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 2 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG

V3 on the left and v4 on the right
Classic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPGClassic Stern - Drops 3 - v3 and v4 (resized).JPG

in games
Classic Stern - Drop Targets in Game - Sea Witch (resized).jpgClassic Stern - Drop Targets in Game - Sea Witch (resized).jpg

Classic Stern - Drop Targets in Game - Beehive Stars (resized).jpgClassic Stern - Drop Targets in Game - Beehive Stars (resized).jpg

#212 3 months ago

Keep at it, man! I’ve got 2 Nine Ball builds in my queue for 2024/25!
I don’t want to live in a world without your drop target replacements!

#213 3 months ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Keep at it, man! I’ve got 2 Nine Ball builds in my queue for 2024/25!
I don’t want to live in a world without your drop target replacements!

thanks mate and appreciate the support

30 targets left yesterday, so 64 targets left now

2 months later
#214 26 days ago

Do you have any available still?

#215 26 days ago
Quoted from piccolohl:

Do you have any available still?

yes, I still have some v3's and v4's left, if you want any send a pm with address and I can give you a quote with a few shipping options

1 week later
#216 17 days ago

I have had occasionally some emails stating my drops are much more expensive than what can be purchased in the US but without having a go at anyone I think they may have done the conversion opposite.

The targets I get made are $10AUD each and while my costs have gone up a little I have been able to maintain the price for the last 2 years to help keep your games alive. I just have reduced the discount to cover the cost price increase.

- So today $10 AUD = $6.54 USD
- Most reproductions out there are approx - $6.99 USD
- And once postage is factored in and spread across the targets you will be very close to being on par with the Hooded Repros

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 8.44.05 am (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-04-29 at 8.44.05 am (resized).png

Now to clarify, as people discuss and talk about this or have asked me questions regularly:
- PBR make the hooded Classic Stern Hooded Targets and on sell to Planetary, Marco etc
- PBR changed the original molds of tombstone to hooded so there is no one else making the Classic Stern Tombstone Drop Targets as there is no mold
- The hooded drop targets do not sit flush in some games as those games originally did not come out with hooded targets in those games so do not have the space for the hood to recess into the playfield
- My belief is the hooded targets brick due to being a bit more flexible and bend back and return rather than drop down

Swinks Classic Stern Tombstone Drop Targets
- are solid nylon - same as the injected molded ones
- are professionally SLS 3D printed White - and bead blasted and have a ever slight texture to the parts (SLS machines are $250000 machines and nothing like a home printed part. SLS is laser sintered nylon particles to create a solid part)
- the target face is then treated so is smooth ready for a decal
- there are currently over 1000 Swinks drops out there in people games, arcades and museums and getting great results with reports back of still looking good and playing well after 1000 games including action at pinball shows etc.
- Currently 2 versions are available:
-- v3's - which are a replica of the original drops
-- v4's - which are a replica of the original drops with the back of the target filled in (was an experiment that people liked the sound of but never proved to be any better than the v3's)

I hope that helps clear up a few things and reach out if you would like to reserve some drops from the next batch - being ordered soon

Jady

#217 17 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

- Most reproductions out there are approx - $6.99 USD
- And once postage is factored in and spread across the targets you will be very close to being on par with the Hooded Repros

Hate hooded; but I think you are now getting the conversion confused.

$3 for Blank & $4 decal @ PBR (pretty sure they are decal not Stamped anymore?). Marco a little more.

HATE hooded

#218 17 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hate hooded; but I think you are now getting the conversion confused.
$3 for Blank & $4 decal @ PBR (pretty sure they are decal not Stamped anymore?). Marco a little more.
HATE hooded

yes I just looked at Marco as PBR is alot of work for overseas people to purchase from

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=stern+drop+target

plan - $3.99 USD
with imprint - $6.99 USD

end of the day the issue was people ran my target into a conversion and went from $10 and converted to $15.30 hence why people thought they were expensive.

But if people want to get a hooded drop to save a few bucks and then possibly get frustrated with not sitting right, flexing / bricking - that is their right and go for it.

#219 17 days ago

Cost more or not, worth it. Love these targets in my Stars. Significant upgrade over the hooded repros that were in it when I got the machine.

I want some in red for whenever I get around to a Dragonfist build.

#220 16 days ago

I’ve had these in my Stars for 1.5 years and I don’t think I’ve seen a single bricked shot. Highly recommended!

#221 16 days ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Cost more or not, worth it. Love these targets in my Stars. Significant upgrade over the hooded repros that were in it when I got the machine.
I want some in red for whenever I get around to a Dragonfist build.

Quoted from jeffc:

I’ve had these in my Stars for 1.5 years and I don’t think I’ve seen a single bricked shot. Highly recommended!

I'm looking to get these for my Stars. Which ones did you install?
v3 or v4?

#222 16 days ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

v3 or v4?

I have the v3 and they work great. I think the V4 as he explained was looking to improve, but didn't end up having a major impact on performance. Then i put the star decals from Marco on them and they have held up pretty well here at the house. Maybe want extra decals if getting a bunch of play.

#223 16 days ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

v3 or v4?

v3

#224 16 days ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

v3 or v4?

have had a run of targets this last week - just 16 x v3's left at this stage - send me a pm if you would like any and I can give you a quote.

#225 10 days ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

v3 or v4?

I used v4 in my Stars, as well as Lightning and the METEOR drops. I chose them because a solid target made sense to me. I’d use them again, but wouldn’t be bothered if only the v3 was available for some reason.

In every case, huge improvement in gameplay. You can sweep the 3-banks in Stars in a way that you never could with the aftermarket drops that had been installed. *Zero* bricking.

I made my own target decals using my Epson photo printer and decal paper. The decals can then be laminated with a special film made by Avery, though honestly on something that small you’d probably be just as well off with bits of packing tape. Anyhow, the upshot is that it’s pretty cheap and easy to just make them, and with a barrier film, they will last indefinitely and not get a wear line. Any dirt can be easily cleaned off.

Swinks makes an outstanding product. Even if it’s a bit more expensive, the marginal extra cost is money well spent. There are a lot of things in pinball that are just stupidly expensive, but these targets aren’t in that category.

#226 10 days ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated.

#227 10 days ago

Product Update 6th May 2024

I have sold out of everything (v3's and v4's) and I will not making anymore of these .....BUT..... I have joined the v3 and v4 together creating a new version - v5 version.

The v5 is still a Classic Stern Tombstone Drop in almost every way.

- The target face is still in millimetres 5.67mm thick front to back and this does not change
- v3's were an exact copy of the original with the back recessed 2.67mm deep
- v4's had the back fully filled in with no recess at all
- v5's have the back mostly filled in but still recessed slightly so to look similar to a v3 and the original but a little more beefer as only recessed 0.67 mm meaning the target body is 5mm thick - so a nice blend of v3 and v4 into a new drop.

It is just costing too much to stock 2 different types of drops and the interest and support flip-flopped between what people wanted and it was never predictable between the 2 types - so I am opting to just make one type and and sell the v5's now.

Still $10AUD each
- and you get 2.5% discount on 11 targets and up to 20 targets
- and you get 5% discount on 21 targets and up

I am ordering more this week - approx 100 with some already reserved for 2 customers:
- 30 for one customer
- 12 for one customer

so send me a pm if you would like any of these as maybe I need to order more.

#228 9 days ago

Just curious, is there a reason you haven't made the classic Stern hooded drop targets used in their MPU-200 games? (1980 onwards)
I see people mentioning them at the start of the thread but nothing ever came of it.

#229 9 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Just curious, is there a reason you haven't made the classic Stern hooded drop targets used in their MPU-200 games? (1980 onwards)
I see people mentioning them at the start of the thread but nothing ever came of it.

They are available as PBR modified the mold from tombstone to hooded so see no point competing with an already available source as then will be directly compared to PBR and mine will be more expensive and then no support.

#230 8 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

They are available as PBR modified the mold from tombstone to hooded so see no point competing with an already available source as then will be directly compared to PBR and mine will be more expensive and then no support.

That's a shame, your tombstones have become the gold standard for non-bricking but looks wise are period incorrect for 1980's Sterns.

Regarding cost, how do alternate 3D printing fabricators to Shapeways compare nowadays? Such as JLCPCB and whoever else is in the industrial 3D printing game now:
https://jlc3dp.com/

#231 8 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

That's a shame, your tombstones have become the gold standard for non-bricking but looks wise are period incorrect for 1980's Sterns.
Regarding cost, how do alternate 3D printing fabricators to Shapeways compare nowadays? Such as JLCPCB and whoever else is in the industrial 3D printing game now:
https://jlc3dp.com/

Sorry I need to be educated, are you saying the 80's stern are period correct with hooded drops ?

I often check and compare prices with Shapeways, iMaterialise, an Italian mob, PCBway and Zelta3D in Singapore. Zelta3D has been giving me the best deals but have to order 75-100 at a time. eg if you wanted to order direct off Shapeways they are nearly double that of what I can issue.

#232 8 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

Sorry I need to be educated, are you saying the 80's stern are period correct with hooded drops ?

Yes, I am saying that Stern shifted from tombstone to hooded drop targets in 1980.
Other pinsiders discussed it in the first page of this thread. The earliest example of Sterns hooded targets existed on a few (not all) Meteor's at the rear bank. Sterns next game Galaxy, I've only seen with hooded drop targets. Meteor was the last game I saw with tombstones. Others may provide slight variation (probably based on Sterns production schedule and stock levels) but the point is Stern made the factory change. Have a look at game pictures on IPDB for examples.

#233 8 days ago

The new hooded replacements brick terribly. I won't use them.... vintage for me unless something else comes along.

#234 8 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

The new hooded replacements brick terribly. I won't use them.... vintage for me unless something else comes along.

So if swinks makes proper Stern hooded style using the same method/materials as his tombstones, would you consider them for your MPU-200 games once your personal stash of vintage targets dry up?

#235 8 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

So if swinks makes proper Stern hooded style using the same method/materials as his tombstones, would you consider them for your MPU-200 games once your vintage targets dry up?

Yep, absolutely. I'd even like if he makes Bally versions that don't brick!

Of course, I also have about 300 vintage targets (95% used but serviceable) so it might be awhile.... but any PF swap I'd go with new. It's the older beaters that get vintage drops.

#236 6 days ago

Update 9th May

- ordered 115 x v5 Classic Stern Tombstone Drop Targets today as filled up an order with some other parts and will be ready to ship out in about 3 weeks time (roughly early in June)
- 30 allocated to Ollulanus
- 12 allocated to emsrph
- 73 available

in regards to 80's Bally Drops - I already have the design so will put up on Shapeways - I will not stock these but for you US guys at least will save on shipping from Aus to US for a order as Shapeways is in the US

as for the Classic Stern Tombstone HOODED Drop Targets - if someone can help me with some photos / dimensions I am pretty sure I can build up the design from the classic tombstone one unless there are some differences at the bottom.

Jady

#237 6 days ago

I have a few things on Shapeways now, but it is dearer than what I can supply:

- Classic Stern Drop Targets (v3) - in White and Red (is dearer again as they dye the material but you can do this yourself)
- Classic Stern Drop Targets Upgraded (v4) - in White and Red (is dearer again as they dye the material but you can do this yourself which I can explain if people want to know)
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.55.02 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.55.02 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.54.53 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.54.53 pm (resized).png

&
- Bally (80's) Drop Targets Hooded - White
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.56.19 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-05-09 at 7.56.19 pm (resized).png

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksdrops

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tombstone-drop-targets-13a-11-any-interest/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.