Firepower Topper 3.png
Firepower Topper 1.png
Firepower Topper 2.png
20240410_164909 (resized).jpg
IMG_9617 (resized).jpeg
20240406_001836 (resized).jpg
IMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
There are 4,708 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 95.
#4651 46 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

If displays are fading, I would consider replacing the high voltage axial caps.

I feel like this is the way to go too. I need to get some. I hope it works

#4652 46 days ago

Bad display caps you end up with a rolling effect, not one bright digit. The HV caps are likely tired if original, but I don't think they are the cause of the issue.

Since you get one digit bright makes me wonder if your 74154 that strobes the display digits is bad. That chip gets smoked when 1J2 and 1J6 get crossed as 12v input lands on a display strobe output. It happens A LOT on my replacement MPUs so much I have started including a big warning, series resistor and a zener diode to try and at least clamp and current limit the 12v that lands on the decoder pin when those connectors get crossed.

When the display should be showing stuff check 1J6 and 1J7. As the display blink on and off in display test, you should see the voltage change. Logic probe or scope is best if you have one.

That and check the display blanking at 1J3, that is the only one signal that can shutdown all the display, but since you get one bright digit, I don't think it is that.

#4653 46 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Bad display caps you end up with a rolling effect, not one bright digit. The HV caps are likely tired if original, but I don't think they are the cause of the issue.
Since you get one digit bright makes me wonder if your 74154 that strobes the display digits is bad. That chip gets smoked when 1J2 and 1J6 get crossed as 12v input lands on a display strobe output. It happens A LOT on my replacement MPUs so much I have started including a big warning, series resistor and a zener diode to try and at least clamp and current limit the 12v that lands on the decoder pin when those connectors get crossed.
When the display should be showing stuff check 1J6 and 1J7. As the display blink on and off in display test, you should see the voltage change. Logic probe or scope is best if you have one.
That and check the display blanking at 1J3, that is the only one signal that can shutdown all the display, but since you get one bright digit, I don't think it is that.

I'm not sure I know what you mean here, but I'll see if I can decipher this. I'll check the schematics to see where 1j6 and 1j7 are and see if it says what pins are supposed to be what values.

#4654 46 days ago

Not sure if it's related, because it's hard to know what's happening since displays are out, but when I press the coin door service switch, it doesn't appear to do anything.
What is the normal cycle on this to get it to do lamp test, solenoid, display, etc?
If I knew the operation order, I could at least count the number of presses till I got to display test mode.

#4655 45 days ago

To get to display test... Set the latching coin door switch to manual down. Then It should be two pushes of the diag button to get into display test.

The computer decodes four signals into sixteen different "strobes" that lights up a digit one at a time. These strobe signals leave the MPU through connectors 1J6 and 1J7. Since you only get one digit bright and the rest always off, this is where I what I would check first. A rough check with a multimeter on volts DC can be done on those connector pins and see what you get. If it is stuck at 5v or 0v and not moving in display test, that is likely a problem with the computer board. If it is some where between 0 and 5v the MPU is likely trying to strobe the digits OK and the issue is elsewhere.

1J6 should have purple colored wires. 1J2 has white, black and gray wires. Make sure those two plugs are not crossed.

#4656 44 days ago

Here's another video demonstrating the benefit of the "One Shot Trigger" board for Williams System 3-11A board sets.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4657 44 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That happens on the Rottendog MPU327 combo board as well. I've fixed several by replacing the 74HCT154 on those boards due to someone getting the connections wrong.

#4658 44 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

That happens on the Rottendog MPU327 combo board as well. I've fixed several by replacing the 74HCT154 on those boards due to someone getting the connections wrong.

I'd say a good percentage of people fussing about a MPU327 not working blew it up like that. If you read a lot of those posts the symptoms are similar. It was happening chronically to my replacement, the series resistor and zener diode clamp seems to save the chip as I haven't heard about it since. Boo on WMS for keying two plugs so close by the same. When you re-dress the harness people are more likely to cross those plugs. They are originally tied in a way its hard to do.

#4659 44 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Boo on WMS for keying two plugs so close by the same.

...and the system 7 plugs that can be cross connected and sometimes have the wrong color connector installed making it REALLY easy to do that. Ugh....

#4660 43 days ago

Rebuilt these babies in prep for drop swap. Waiting on molex and nmp boards before I swap them in.

Stickers on the drops are going to be gundam themed as I'm changing the art on the sling and center plastics as well.

I got a red set and blue set to match fire and power.

20240331_125530 (resized).jpg20240331_125530 (resized).jpg20240331_125550 (resized).jpg20240331_125550 (resized).jpg
#4661 41 days ago

Well @barakanl I've replaced the caps, it made no difference, but they needed to be done.
So I checked the outputs at 1j6 and 1j7 I seem to be getting signals from there just fine.
Could it be something on the display driver board itself?

IMG_7788 (resized).jpegIMG_7788 (resized).jpeg
#4662 41 days ago

I'm going to see if there's anything online about testing that board.

#4663 41 days ago

Testing the displays? First unplug all of the slave displays. If one of those is bad it can affect the other displays. Then check the resistors on the master display. It is fairly common to see those open up if a display was bad. Once open you will miss parts of the display. Beyond that If you have isolated it to the display then probably some of the IC's on the Master Display. A few of those chips you can get. Others pulled from parts displays. As long as the glass is ok you should be able to fix them.

#4664 40 days ago
Quoted from Tridentphoto:

Well @barakanl I've replaced the caps, it made no difference, but they needed to be done.
So I checked the outputs at 1j6 and 1j7 I seem to be getting signals from there just fine.
Could it be something on the display driver board itself?[quoted image]

That looks correct for what to expect from the digit strobe chip on the MPU.

On the master display board the digit strobes go through inverter gates. With your scope you should see the inverse from IC1, 2 3 outputs

Then the high voltage chips like IC4 take the logic level signal and bump it up to 100v level.

Also check the BL pin #7 of the 4543s (segment decoder), but a locked on bright digit sounds like a digit strobe issue to me.

#4665 40 days ago

Let's gooooooo!

Drop target banks are great! I'm in love.

Adding the switch matrix columns in confused me for a bit but we got there.

With the troxel drop target boards, this swap was pretty straight forward.

The last game I played with stand-ups I got 948k. Let's see how the drops treat me.

20240406_001836 (resized).jpg20240406_001836 (resized).jpg
#4666 40 days ago

I've never played drop targets. What I love about Firepower is the delayed counting of points sound when hitting targets. With drops, do you get that? When do the drops targets get reset, after getting one bank or both banks?

#4667 40 days ago

You still get the score sounds. Each bank resets itself. When the 3 are hit. They reset for each ball as well.

I really love them. They don't seem to slow the game down too much, especially when you hit the rubber band behind a dropped target.

Game play is pretty much exactly the same. I really love hitting the drop targets. This is my only pinball currently, so having the extra features in firepower is really cool.

The only negative I have found so far (and previously mentioned with gorgar) is that sometimes the pop bumpers trigger the target switches on the drops due to the NMP boards I installed. I believe adding a metal shield fixes it, I'm getting to it.

#4668 39 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

I really love them. They don't seem to slow the game down too much, especially when you hit the rubber band behind a dropped target.

Game play is pretty much exactly the same. I really love hitting the drop targets. This is my only pinball currently, so having the extra features in firepower is really cool.

Agree, I much prefer the play with drops too.
The ball speed & trajectory from the drops feels just right to me.

#4669 39 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

You still get the score sounds. Each bank resets itself. When the 3 are hit. They reset for each ball as well.
The only negative I have found so far (and previously mentioned with gorgar) is that sometimes the pop bumpers trigger the target switches on the drops due to the NMP boards I installed. I believe adding a metal shield fixes it, I'm getting to it.

I am also having an issue where the pops will cause my right drop target bank to score/ reset. (Haven't nailed down exactly which switch yet). What is the nmp board you are referring to and can you explain the issue you had and the fix?

I do like the drop targets, although I did mine as part of my initial rebuild/repair and have never tried firepower with stand ups.

Unrelated:
Just wantee to plug barakandl's system 3-7 replacement board for this game. Seems well designed/made. Easy to install. Easy to troubleshoot. I had a few playfield issues that blew up a logic chip and transistor. Easy to repair. Andrew was very helpful via email also. And it was by far the cheapest price.

#4670 39 days ago

Firepower claims a win for best early solid state at mgc

IMG_9617 (resized).jpegIMG_9617 (resized).jpeg
#4671 38 days ago

I am looking at getting a Firepower that needs a playfield swap. Is there anyone doing a repro? I see CPR is sold out.

#4672 38 days ago
Quoted from AD72:

I am looking at getting a Firepower that needs a playfield swap. Is there anyone doing a repro? I see CPR is sold out.

Can hope CPR reruns it or get a hardtop. I found the hardtop process for firepower pretty straightforward. The star rollover inserts were a pain..I got a little scuff on one of those. And I did a bad job of clear coating my inserts. But its not super noticable.

#4673 38 days ago

The NMP sensors replace the horseshoe style contacts that tends to give everyone fits.

What has been found thru extensive use is that on SOME machines, the residual magnetism from a pop number operation will cause one of the sensors on the NMP boards to think a drop target dropped. A fix has been found - basically, it’s a small metal shield that reduces the effect of the pop bumper operation on the NMP sensor.

There’s several strings about the NMP boards - do a search.

I highly recommend them as a reliable replacement for the Wms. Horseshoe contacts on their drop targets.

#4674 35 days ago

Stickers from stickeryou.com came in. They fit just about perfect.

These stickers are the military factions in the anime show Gundam.

I also got mylar protectors from actionpinball.com so hopefully they last a while.

I really love how the colors turned out. I think it looks great. Custom plastics are next.

Edit: Bonus Round! The magnetic shields came in from NMP sensors and they worked! Now my drops work perfect. 100% would recommend.

20240410_164909 (resized).jpg20240410_164909 (resized).jpg

#4675 34 days ago

Hello Firepower Pinball Fans,

I am making a Firepower Pinball Video Topper. The 4K 60fps video will be posted later today. If you like it, you are welcome to download it.
Here are some stills

Firepower Topper 1.pngFirepower Topper 1.pngFirepower Topper 2.pngFirepower Topper 2.pngFirepower Topper 3.pngFirepower Topper 3.pngFirepower Topper 4.pngFirepower Topper 4.pngFirepower Topper 6.pngFirepower Topper 6.png
#4676 34 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Hello Firepower Pinball Fans,
I am making a Firepower Pinball Video Topper. The 4K 60fps video will be posted later today. If you like it, you are welcome to download it.
Here are some stills[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This looks awesome!

#4677 33 days ago

Here is version 4 of the Firepower Pinball Video Topper
YouTube Link:

#4678 33 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

YouTube Link:

Very cool! What does the topper look like?

#4679 33 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

YouTube Link:

I don't understand. You have an old computer monitor on top of your machine looping this video?

#4680 33 days ago

Why does the monitor have to be old?
Yes, a screen is installed on top of the pinball, with some sound reinforcement speakers.
A tv would also work with built in speakers.
Certainly a media player or Raspberry Pie can be used to play the video.
Here is a video

#4681 32 days ago
Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Why does the monitor have to be old?
Yes, a screen is installed on top of the pinball, with some sound reinforcement speakers.
A tv would also work with built in speakers.
Certainly a media player or Raspberry Pie can be used to play the video.
Here is the video installed on the machine

#4682 29 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I posted about this previously, that site is weird. Sometimes it's down other times I can find the site and access everything.

It’s my site. I’ve never made a penny from the schematics and never will. The hosting company I used for 20+ years (Hostica) was taken over by Stablepoint. They decided to delete the Wordpress data that was the modern front-end to the original Flash site. And the backups. Long story, but you can go to the wayback machine here and get everything including downloads of schematics:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180916191317/http://blackknightpinball.co.uk/wp/

I’m in the process of recovering the whole thing, although I will have to rebuild or replace the menu system manually. Bear with me as I have had health issues, and lost my pinball mojo until recently.

If you are intrepid, and on a PC (not iPhone or iPad) you can add a Flash Player extension to Edge browser and still use the original site as it existed in 2010 here:
https://www.firepowerpinball.com/index-orig.html

I couldn’t get it work on Chrome without turning off Security settings, but Edge worked right away. Don’t you just love modern technology?!?

Regards

Richard

#4683 28 days ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I've never played drop targets. What I love about Firepower is the delayed counting of points sound when hitting targets. With drops, do you get that? When do the drops targets get reset, after getting one bank or both banks?

It resets for each bank. Personally I prefer stand up targets. It just feels faster to me like the game is fighting back without the drop targets. But to each his own.

Interestingly I used the drop target reset solenoids to trigger additional LED flashers blue & RED that go off when you complete 1-3 or 4-6 arrows. Adds a nice lightshow and even Steve Ritchie liked the idea when he saw it years ago.

Not a hard mod to add if you have standup targets. Just connect LEDs to the unused reset solenoid transitors #2 & #3, which are noted as "unused" in the manual. They ground the cathode of the hi-power LED flashers. Don’t forget to use a current limiting resistor to protect the LEDs.

Richard

#4684 28 days ago

Wondering if following symptoms immediately familiar to someone.
Playing Ok until next ball in play not ejected.
In solenoid test no solenoids except 9-13 (sounds) fire.
In switch test, all switches register except pop bumpers and slingshots.
Special solenoid issue?
TIA
John

#4685 28 days ago
Quoted from John1963:

Wondering if following symptoms immediately familiar to someone.
Playing Ok until next ball in play not ejected.
In solenoid test no solenoids except 9-13 (sounds) fire.
In switch test, all switches register except pop bumpers and slingshots.
Special solenoid issue?
TIA
John

Probably popped the solenoid fuse. Not isolated to special solenoids if they are all out. The activation switches for special solenoids are not part of the switch matrix only the secondary scoring switches are

#4686 28 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Probably popped the solenoid fuse.

Thanks and apology. I should have tested fuse first but it looked fine on visual. Anything I should look into that fuse having popped?

#4687 28 days ago
Quoted from John1963:

Thanks and apology. I should have tested fuse first but it looked fine on visual. Anything I should look into that fuse having popped?

It’s a 2.5A Slow-blow from Factory info. You could try a 3AT (T = Slow Blo) ?
If it boots and doesn’t blow the fuse, check for a locked on pop bumper or slingshot. I’d check all the coils to see if one is locked on. Coin lock on the coin door isn’t needed in free play mode, just disconnect it and tape the wires off separately. It’s not needed for home use.

#4688 28 days ago

With the game off, all the solenoid power transistors on the Driver board should not show a direct short to the ground braid. You can use a meter on Ohms (or continuity) mode to check using the metal Tabs on the top of the Transistors. This may help locate the solenoid numbers (shown on the left in red):
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/d/dc/System3-7DriverBoardLayout.jpg
More troubleshooting info on pinwiki.com if it isn’t obvious what is wrong.

Richard

#4689 28 days ago
Quoted from alienpoker:

It’s my site. I’ve never made a penny from the schematics and never will.

alienpoker Thanks so much for placing the information you put together in the public domain. I use those diagrams literally all the time. Well done.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball - My YT Channel
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

1 week later
#4690 18 days ago

Finally rolled the score over!
My previous high score was 948k.

New high score is 1,080,220. I thought it would save the truncated 080220 as the high score but it still recognizes the 948k as the high score haha.

Still feel accomplished. I even got the S lane and a mission accomplished!

Standard Firepower with drop targets, playfield protector, and no gouge balls!

The playfield protector made a world of difference in terms of play. The ball rolls so smooth over everything. Drop targets are more consistent with rebound so that's nice.

#4691 18 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

New high score is 1,080,220. I thought it would save the truncated 080220 as the high score but it still recognizes the 948k as the high score haha.
The playfield protector made a world of difference in terms of play. The ball rolls so smooth over everything. Drop targets are more consistent with rebound so that's nice.

Rolling the score on this game is so satisfying

#4692 17 days ago

Does anyone make a reproduction lock bar receiver for this game?

#4693 16 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

When I rolled my over I also heard the mission accomplished, and I was hey that is a new sound.

#4694 16 days ago

Mine never said mission accomplished when I rolled it over. I was kinda disappointed. Luckily it says it when you set the high score on the machine and when you light the specials and roll those. So good.

#4695 16 days ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Does anyone make a reproduction lock bar receiver for this game?

Are williams receivers different for different eras? I'm sure you could find one that's standard williams

#4696 16 days ago
Quoted from MooglyMoog:

Are williams receivers different for different eras?

Yes. Williams started to modify parts and pieces here and there.
Different coin door setups added feature buttons, cabinet angle changes. Etc.

#4697 13 days ago

For anyone that has done the drop target conversion...where did you get the drop decals? Just curious if anyone is seeing a quality difference between vendors. I see several places have them ranging from $8 to $15, curious if there was a reason not to skimp.

Also, is there anyone that bought a CPR plastic set and doesn't need the proto plastics? I bought the set with the topper and mine didn't have them. I would purchase, or trade a normal set.

#4698 12 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

For anyone that has done the drop target conversion...where did you get the drop decals? Just curious if anyone is seeing a quality difference between vendors. I see several places have them ranging from $8 to $15, curious if there was a reason not to skimp.
Also, is there anyone that bought a CPR plastic set and doesn't need the proto plastics? I bought the set with the topper and mine didn't have them. I would purchase, or trade a normal set.

I make all my own target decals. I printed these off the firepower site I think.

20240503_184948.jpg20240503_184948.jpg
#4699 12 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Pm me about which plastics you need. Maybe can help but not exactly sure which ones you want.

I got my drop target decals from action pinball and not happy with them(or really any of the decals I got from them). They are pink background where they should be white/off-white. The guy above did better than professionals. I still Installed them and they don't bother me.

Screenshot_20240503-195552 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240503-195552 (resized).pngimage (2) (resized).pngimage (2) (resized).png
#4700 12 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I make all my own target decals. I printed these off the firepower site I think.
[quoted image]

What kind of paper do you print on, and then are you putting mylar over it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Greystone Park, NJ
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,000 (OBO)
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 4,708 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-firepower-club/page/94 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.