(Topic ID: 354036)

Whitewater Phantom balls VUK

By TxRox

49 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 49 days ago

At random times I get the chirp like the VUK to the upper playfield is firing. It does it twice and always only twice. It's very intermittent. I repeated the connectors for the opto board and checked for missing diodes or improperly installed ones. Didn't find anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 49 days ago

Dirty optos are common, so clean them. (I'm sure you did this...)

A lot of opto failure is found when you unsolder the QED123 (transmitter) or QSD123 (receiver) LED's. You'll find that one leg is actually broken, right at the top of the board, still making connection... until it doesn't.

While a lot of games this age are suffering capacitor failure on the opto boards (there is a radial 100uf 35v capacitor that is corroding traces and causing random opto or other switch matrix problems), on your game I think the opto board has an axial capacitor, and those seem to not be failing...

Anyway, check the opto board and see if there is any hint of corrosion or a 'wet ring' under the capacitor. There won't be, but check it anyway.

This could be quite hard to find, so try to force a failure by going into switch edges test, and bang on the VUK mechanism underneath with the handle end of a screwdriver to see if the beam is getting disconnected intermittently by vibration.

Other than that, test every switch on the playfield and see if there is any phantom triggering due to a diode on some other switch not properly protecting it's row/column.

Good luck!

#3 48 days ago

Agree with everything PinRetail said, especially check for dirty optos if you haven't and clean both sides the transmitter and receiver. Aside from blocking them physically, you can also look at them with your cell phone camera to make sure they are working. They aren't visible to the naked eye, but they show up great on your camera. You will also want to look at connectors on the opto board. Check the wiring and the connector header pins coming off the board and see if any have gotten loose or have cold solder joints. Also, not just test every switch but examine every switch and make sure there isn't a loose wire on all the switches in that row and column. Putting the game into switch test mode and just pounding on the center of the playfield and seeing what comes up sometimes helps too. Sounds a bit like banging on an old TV but I swear I have solved plenty of switch problems by starting this way. Good luck and let us know what you find!

#4 48 days ago
Quoted from pinstersix:

Putting the game into switch test mode and just pounding on the center of the playfield

Hey!

I was going to suggest that also!

#5 45 days ago

I made sure to clean all options really well. It didn’t happen for a while then just sporadically started again. It seems that the opto for the vuk is set really low. There is the holder for the ball that was 5 prongs around the disc. Do you think this disc could be setting it off. Seems like the prongs could be tall enough to interfere with the opto. It does it with balls locked or no. Sometime it does it with out even hitting anything.

#6 43 days ago

It might just be the opto need to be replaced. They can break for various reasons, including the stiff wire coming out of the head of the led. Lots of places sell them. To verify, you can swap it out with another one in the game and see if that fixes it. Just swap out the emitter. If the problem continues after that, swap out the receiver as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Bridgeport, TX
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 125.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-phantom-balls-vuk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.