4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3492[1] (resized).JPG
    IMG_4154 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4149 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4148 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4112A (resized).jpg
    IMG_4140 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 months ago

I am currently restoring a very poor condition machine but optimistic it can be returned to its former glory.

One aspect that intrigues me is the existence of a replay circuit activated through a relay on the back of the coin door, and on the back board a replay jack and a 'liberal/conservative' replay adjustment on the scale gear mechanism. The latter are covered by original labels.

IMG_4140 (resized).JPGIMG_4140 (resized).JPG

IMG_4112A (resized).jpgIMG_4112A (resized).jpg

When a player becomes an 'Expert Crane Operator' providing the replay jack is set to the 'on' position a replay is awarded and retrieved by the coin door relay becoming energised releasing an armature which activates a lever under the ABT coin slide as though a coin was inserted. But there is no external notice of this function to a player.

I have not detected this 'replay circuit' on any pics during a Google search. Does anyone have the circuit on a machine?

#2 4 months ago

That is very interesting. Here is the back panel of my crane.

IMG_1406 (resized).jpegIMG_1406 (resized).jpeg
    #3 4 months ago

A couple of pics to clarify operation of the replay relay on the back of the coin door. Firstly non energised:

IMG_4148 (resized).JPGIMG_4148 (resized).JPG

and secondly energised:

IMG_4149 (resized).JPGIMG_4149 (resized).JPG

The relay is only energised when the replay circuit jack is 'on' and when the scale microswitch and expert crane operator light are activated. When energised the coin slide operates as if a coin is in the slide. Once the slide is then activated the start relay moves from game over and releases the replay relay.

#4 4 months ago

My 1948 Exhibit Supply “New Contact” uses the same sort of mechanism for replays when the machine displays a credit. I’m unsure how common this method was during this era.

IMG_4154 (resized).jpegIMG_4154 (resized).jpeg
    #5 4 months ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

Here is the back panel of my crane.

In that mid-1950s era, Williams (among others) would produce non-replay models and replay models. Sometimes, the replay model would be distinguished by having "DeLuxe" in the name. An example from 1956: 4 Bagger DeLuxe is the replay model; 4 Bagger is the novelty-play-only model.
    .................David Marston

1 month later
    #6 85 days ago

Hello Dave, I just uncovered my 1956 4 Bagger after 35 years and noticed that my backglass doesn't have the word DELUXE on it. I would like to know the difference of novelty-play-only model vs the DELUXE replay model? Is there something different in the game? like wiring or play features? or is it just the word deluxe on the glass? I am ordering a new back glass film for mine ( which is non deluxe). If I get the back glass film with the deluxe name on it would it matter? Should I stay with just the original with no deluxe on it? Also, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a schematic for the 4 bagger? need front door wiring for the switches.

IMG_3492[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3492[1] (resized).JPG
    #7 84 days ago

Deluxe versions often in cluded additional features like end of game match or different pitches as well as score replay credits for those baseball pitch and bats.

#8 84 days ago

The Pinball Resource should have schematics for both 4 Bagger and 4 Bagger DeLuxe. Maybe you should get both so that you can check out the differences. Based on the flyers, I think the only differences will be in replay/credit related stuff.

As for the backglass, if you put a DeLuxe backglass on a non-DeLuxe game, there will probably be an annoying window for the credit wheel. You could scrounge up a genuine Williams replay window mask to cover it. Contrarily, the non-DeLuxe backglass on a DeLuxe game would leave you with no way to see how many credits you have.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1956-crane-replay-circuit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.