6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Pinwizkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 months ago

Does anyone have a good source for Yamaha YM2151s? Everything that I've seen is a knock-off. All of the ones that do have a proper date code in pictures have a new date code in stock. Having talked with Yamaha, the last year of production was 2001. Anything newer is counterfeit and wasn't made by them. I had ordered a dozen or so from a supplier, and none of the new ones worked when swapped into boards that were working previously.

#2 6 months ago

action pinball shows 9 in stock:
    https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=YM2151

Hopefully Ray doesn't have counterfeits and these are NOS he's been in business a long time so he might have them from way back when.

This chip was used in many many other items (computers, sound cards, etc.) so a source might be a computer swap meet you can get pulls. How many of these do you actually need? I haven't heard of this being a failure point (not that it can't be) - but they seem to be pretty resilient.

#3 6 months ago

This chip is on a metric ton of sound boards. Almost every arcade and pinball board from 1985 to 1995 has it. If you can't find it, one route might be to find a broken/trashed sound board from another game as this chip rarely breaks. Looks like Action Pinball has them though!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yamaha-ym2151-where-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.