(Topic ID: 345805)

Stern has apparently dropped the mandatory MSRP pricing for distros.

By PismoArcade

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 576 posts
  • 163 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Jagrmaister
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Venon-Premium (resized).jpg
    starwars (resized).jpg
    IMG_6492 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1005.gif
    C94D1361-7ACD-412E-9668-27FA1F2B7F1F (resized).jpeg
    20231105_092818 (resized).jpg
    cheap (resized).JPG
    Round 2 (resized).jpg
    e7369be5635ab6eac10fc134c83764dc (resized).jpg
    IMG_7042.gif
    resized-image-promo-15 (resized).jpeg
    file_57_10 (resized).jpg
    MV5BMTg3MjAwOTY5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDMzMDQ2._V1_ (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231028-235235 (resized).png
    411A15C0-5E88-447C-B66B-D7BA51275F66.gif
    Screenshot_20231028_230155_Gallery (resized).jpg
    There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
    #551 5 months ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

This reminds me, of back in the day, of a friend that bought Williams "Joust" NIB.
    A few weeks later, the distributer had a big auction and blowout of the game.
    I believe he lost a good $1000.00 dollars on his purchase.

I remember buying close out TZ's and CV's from Williams back then. I wish I had a time machine so I can get some more.

#552 5 months ago

I remember CV being closed out for cheap, but I never knew that TZ had that issue. AFAIK TZ was always a good earning machine (though prone to breakdowns).

#553 5 months ago

TZ was a disaster for ops. It broke quickly and broken games don’t earn.

Williams blew out THOUSANDS of TZs at close out prices. They made way too many of them due to the success of TAF and paid the price.

People don’t want to accept it, but TZ really was the beginning of the end in the 90s

#554 5 months ago

If anyone still has any at those closeoutz I'm a buyer

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Williams blew out THOUSANDS of TZs at close out prices. They made way too many of them due to the success of TAF and paid the price.
    People don’t want to accept it, but TZ really was the beginning of the end in the 90s

#555 5 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This blows my mind, as I really enjoy the game.

#556 5 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Ok so the week this game came out it was out on the floor- line to play etc. Go there a few days later- machine is not even on the floor. A week later machine is back but it has out-of-order sign on it waiting for gumball machine parts (?). Few weeks later it was finally available to play, but it had numerous other issues that had not been sorted, my guess is because it just had not received enough play for the op to work out any of the "early" issues. This is just one arcade but I know that TZ never was routed there much after that. Don't even know if I played a reasonable "player" until several years later at other arcades.

Another thing to remember was that not all op's were electronic experts and could track some of these issues easily.

#557 5 months ago

Also, we just buy a better. clock board, or whatever else we need.

That stuff was unimaginable back then. Some ops drilled holes to vent the clock and hoped for the best.

#558 5 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

We all love the game, you just have to remember it was a different time. The number one goal of games back then was just to make money/stay running so they could continue to earn. Also the overwhelming majority of pinball players were just random people popping in quarters, not really understanding that games have rules and whatnot. Actual pinball players that wanted to explore the depths a game had to offer were quite rare. Twilight Zone was just too complicated at the time and Williams gave Pat and his team Carte Blanche to do whatever they wanted after the success of Addams. If you ever listen to any of the Lawlor interviews from the 2000's when pinball was nearly completely dead he spoke many times about how doing what they did with TZ was a huge mistake and possibly caused the collapse of pinball all together. He also predicted that the industry would never recover, but I'm glad he ended up being mistaken about that. I really feel like this experience is what caused a lot of Pat's later games to lose a lot of the crazy magic we saw in some of his earlier titles.

Edit- I want to add that TZ did earn pretty well if you ever peruse old playmeters. It was just always a ton of hassles for operators and it never did just rake in cash like Addams. So even though it was a decently successful earner, a lot of the headaches weren't worth it in operator's minds.

#559 5 months ago

I’ve reached out to some of the heavy hitter distributors on here. If any distributor has and is selling Rush (either level) at the discounted price, please let me know. Thanks!

#560 5 months ago

Did anybody happen to see Jason Knapp's email blast earlier? One of them stated MORE price drops, and an IM was in the photo.

I hit the link, and the page was removed.

#561 5 months ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Did anybody happen to see Jason Knapp's email blast earlier? One of them stated MORE price drops, and an IM was in the photo.
    I hit the link, and the page was removed.

Pretty sure it was in reference to ICE/Home Arcade Games adverising $900 off, BUT it was $900 off of their inflated prices, bringing the cost down to the normal 6999 price. Shady? Absolutely.

#562 5 months ago

Iron Maiden is not and has no plans to be on the sale price list of titles, Its still on the schedule for future runs. This "content" people need to stop with some of these rumors,

#563 5 months ago
    Quoted from Capn12:

Pretty sure it was in reference to ICE/Home Arcade Games adverising $900 off, BUT it was $900 off of their inflated prices, bringing the cost down to the normal 6999 price. Shady? Absolutely.

I saw those ads and thought it was incredibly shady. They tried to justify it in the comments but eventually just nuked all comments calling them out.

#564 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Iron Maiden is not and has no plans to be on the sale price list of titles, Its still on the schedule for future runs. This "content" people need to stop with some of these rumors,

Huh? Did they change their mind about the last call?

#565 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I'm only reporting what I saw in an email, and the article was removed by the time I hit the link.

#566 5 months ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

This "content" people need to stop with some of these rumors,

I never said that Maiden was being discounted. The article was about ICE providing fake discounts on marked up games. Some guy from Buffalo, their home turf, started going nuts on me in the comments and it wasn’t worth the trouble.

#567 5 months ago
    Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

I never said that Maiden was being discounted. The article was about ICE providing fake discounts on marked up games. Some guy from Buffalo, their home turf, started going nuts on me in the comments and it wasn’t worth the trouble.

Honestly I wish you had left the article up, but I understand why you removed it. The thing is there are a lot of places that sell games for over MSRP. Often these are not distributors (although sometimes they are), but they are retail shops that sell stuff for rich folks to put in their homes. Spa's, pool tables, ect. This type of buyer is usually not in tune with what the MSRP actually is on these machines and are just there because its a shop where they can buy luxury goods for their homes. Its not even usual that these places are paying MSRP or close to it from a distributor and then putting the item out on their showroom floor. Its debatable whether this is scummy or not, and I personally lean toward not that scummy. Its just a foolish place to purchase a pinball machine from. Their sale probably wasn't even technically fake, I bet they do sell the games for those higher prices fairly often, and lowered them back down to MSRPish for the holidays. There certainly is an interesting discussion to be had there, and of course you had good intentions.

Its funny I got the same FB ad, so I bet FB's algorithm sent it out to a lot of people who are actually in tune with the hobby and it backfired on the company.

1 week later
    #568 4 months ago

Any new thoughts on topic? Any rumors?

3 weeks later
    #569 4 months ago

Amazon has AIQ Prem for $9100 free shipping direct from Stern. Probably ain't moving the needle much, but it is another Prem that's below MSRP.

#570 4 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Amazon has AIQ Prem for $9100 free shipping direct from Stern. Probably ain't moving the needle much, but it is another Prem that's below MSRP.

Those sell used for high 7s, so not blowing my mind, but a good start.

#571 4 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I just checked amazing and couldn’t find avengers on there at all. How are you searching?

#572 4 months ago
    Quoted from Bunzy:

I just checked amazing and couldn’t find avengers on there at all. How are you searching?

https://www.amazon.com/Stern-Pinball-Avengers-Machine-Connected/dp/B0B354JJGP/ref=sr_1_5

3 weeks later
    #573 3 months ago

Discounted Venom Premium...

Venon-Premium (resized).jpgVenon-Premium (resized).jpg
    #574 3 months ago
    Quoted from DavidD:

Discounted Venom Premium...[quoted image]

Unfortunately the $500 shipping brings it back up to a typical price.

#575 3 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Unfortunately the $500 shipping brings it back up to a typical price.

I think it's more about if Stern is allowing them to lower the price officially on Venom.

#576 3 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I think it's more about if Stern is allowing them to lower the price officially on Venom.

But but...it was the #2 game on the Top 100 just last week!

Venom needs a discount says the secondary.

There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-has-apparently-dropped-the-mandatory-msrp-pricing-from-distros/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.